British Speedway Forum
marcusthepom

The Darren & Sharon Boocock Speedway Scholarship.

The scholarship is pleased to advise those who have followed the scholarship over the past 6 years,that we will be running a tour to Australia this year .It will be our biggest and best yet.The scholarship will travel all over Australia.The tour starts in Western Australia on the 23rd of November and finishes late January 2014 in Queensland.This years tour will be the scholarships last,but watch out for news regards a scholarship team touring the united kingdom next season.Any body who wants to help or be involved in this years tour can contact me on EMAIL. morstonemanor@hotmail.com we have space remaing on our bike covers,and would welcome your support.I would like to thank all our regular sponsors and would like to welcome a few new ones this year.

The scholarship is pleased to advise those who have followed the scholarship over the past 6 years,that we will be running a tour to Australia this year .It will be our biggest and best yet.The scholarship will travel all over Australia.The tour starts in Western Australia on the 23rd of November and finishes late January 2014 in Queensland.This years tour will be the scholarships last,but watch out for news regards a scholarship team touring the united kingdom next season.Any body who wants to help or be involved in this years tour can contact me on EMAIL. morstonemanor@hotmail.com we have space remaing on our bike covers,and would welcome your support.I would like to thank all our regular sponsors and would like to welcome a few new ones this year.

who will be the beneficiaries of this winters Scholarship Marcus ?

In the internatiinal section there is a posting on Young lions visit WA as a fully paid up member of technophobes anonymous(not anonymous in my case anymore) i cant post a link.

Marcus it might be worth posting a link to simplyalfa and other sponsors of the tour to maximise their company profile to forum users. That is if its within the rules of the forum.

There appears to be considerable confusion, here in the UK and in Australia, over this issue.

As I understand it, several young riders have bought and paid for airfares, but have now been told their tour is cancelled.

While it is truly unfortunate that one of the organisers has been involved in a traffic accident, surely others could step in and sort out matters to allow the riders to continue with their speedway education.

Isn't this what the D&SB scholarship is all about? And what about people I know who have contributed to the scholarship on the understanding their funding was to help young English riders gain experience by riding overseas?

• Like 2

There appears to be considerable confusion, here in the UK and in Australia, over this issue.

As I understand it, several young riders have bought and paid for airfares, but have now been told their tour is cancelled.

While it is truly unfortunate that one of the organisers has been involved in a traffic accident, surely others could step in and sort out matters to allow the riders to continue with their speedway education.

Isn't this what the D&SB scholarship is all about? And what about people I know who have contributed to the scholarship on the understanding their funding was to help young English riders gain experience by riding overseas?

Fair questions. Any answers?

Bloody good question, mate!

Bloody good question, mate!

Welcome to the forum Ned.

It's always great to have new members from Australia. You should come down to the general discussions part of the forum and introduce yourself :t:

My question as to who will be the benficiaries this year is still unanswered , Although I have a good idea why . we shall see .

By beneficiaries do you mean the riders who were due to go? If so it was Richie and Steve Worrall, Kyle Newman, Ashley Morris, Tom Perry, Matt Williamson, Dan Greenwood and Hayden Sims.

• Like 1

The "organisers" are Marcus and Beverley Williams. They are the ones who have put up countless thousands of their own money over the years to create and support the scholarship and they are the ones who throw open their house to accomodate the visiting riders.

Marcus was severely injured riding for Exeter at Newcastle in the 1980s and it is to his and Beverley's credit that they have been giving back to a sport that took so much from them.

He has been working on the 2013/14 Tour since late last year and his accident is a huge blow to everyone involved, whether it's riders, sponsors or helpers.

He now has to spend his time concentrating on getting as well as possible and I am sure Beverley's time is committed to supporting him. Under the circumstances, something had to give and that something is the Scholarship.

I am sure that the invited riders are absolutely gutted at the cancellation but I am also sure that every single one understands what has happened and wishes Marcus a speedy recovery.

I understand that there are steps afoot to try to reinstate some of the planned meetings but I have no further details at present.

On the matter of funding, I am one of those that has contributed to the costs, albeit in a fairly minor manner, and there is absolutely no way that I would consider asking for repayment. The money has been spent and the bikes will be ready for next year - all I can hope is that Marcus makes as full a recovery as possible and is able to offer Tour places 12 months from now.

If anyone wants more information, please contact me directly at gordonpairman@hotmail.co.uk

• Like 4

Sad to hear Marcus (and Beverley) have been going through such an awful time of late. Like you, I say best wishes to him for a speedway and complete recovery, thats all that counts just now

• Like 1

The "organisers" are Marcus and Beverley Williams. They are the ones who have put up countless thousands of their own money over the years to create and support the scholarship and they are the ones who throw open their house to accomodate the visiting riders.

Marcus was severely injured riding for Exeter at Newcastle in the 1980s and it is to his and Beverley's credit that they have been giving back to a sport that took so much from them.

He has been working on the 2013/14 Tour since late last year and his accident is a huge blow to everyone involved, whether it's riders, sponsors or helpers.

He now has to spend his time concentrating on getting as well as possible and I am sure Beverley's time is committed to supporting him. Under the circumstances, something had to give and that something is the Scholarship.

I am sure that the invited riders are absolutely gutted at the cancellation but I am also sure that every single one understands what has happened and wishes Marcus a speedy recovery.

I understand that there are steps afoot to try to reinstate some of the planned meetings but I have no further details at present.

On the matter of funding, I am one of those that has contributed to the costs, albeit in a fairly minor manner, and there is absolutely no way that I would consider asking for repayment. The money has been spent and the bikes will be ready for next year - all I can hope is that Marcus makes as full a recovery as possible and is able to offer Tour places 12 months from now.

If anyone wants more information, please contact me directly at gordonpairman@hotmail.co.uk

Thank you for your full explanation Gordon.

Edited by The White Knight

This is a tragedy for British speedway, with Speedway Star this week telling us of Czechs, Italians, Swedes and Yanks -- plus Kyle Newman, who has apparently organised his own trip -- riding in Perth later this month, while the proposed winter racing for half-a-dozen of our brightest prospects has come to nothing.

Allowing the prospect of further progress by GB at the top level to be further stifled. I note Gordon Pairman's explantation, but feel more could have been done to let these youngsters continue with their planned trip, even if on a curtailed basis.