British Speedway Forum
stratton

English Riders Is Two Riders To Many If Made Compulsory.?

If there was a new league do people believe it should be made compulsory to have at least two Englishmen in the side.? I believe now is the time to push this through cutting down on costs and giving our lads more prolonged chances.Are we in law aloud to insist on this? i don't know the answer to that question but say if they're was a 16 or 18 team league is insisting on two Englishmen to many.?The only concern i would have is would we have a few to many out of they're depth or maybe without the GP stars the gap in class would not be that noticeable any thoughts.!

It need to be built up. It should be 1 each in 2014, 2 in 2015, 3 in 2016 with 2 of them being under 21(or raced less than 60 EL and PL meetings to give late starters a chance).

Should never happen , teams places should be given on merit not charity plus the bigger teams would just paid bigger money to the better brits also what happens when one of these brits get injured ..yet again another idea that put the crowds down and loses more money that it would save .

Should never happen , teams places should be given on merit not charity plus the bigger teams would just paid bigger money to the better brits also what happens when one of these brits get injured ..yet again another idea that put the crowds down and loses more money that it would save .

How would it put the crowds down? i here plenty of gripes from people who believe our lads should get a helping hand now.Also with Woffy leading the way and the Lamberts,Ellis, Birks,Howarth and Kerrs of this world on the scene Brits coming through has got to be good for our sport.One thing that you seem very naive about is this country has far to long been a breeding ground for foreign riders (alot i may add who are no world beaters and expensive) to earn a living.SCB on his post puts across good suggestions and that's a start and we can go from there.

How would it put the crowds down? i here plenty of gripes from people who believe our lads should get a helping hand now.Also with Woffy leading the way and the Lamberts,Ellis, Birks,Howarth and Kerrs of this world on the scene Brits coming through has got to be good for our sport.One thing that you seem very naive about is this country has far to long been a breeding ground for foreign riders (alot i may add who are no world beaters and expensive) to earn a living.SCB on his post puts across good suggestions and that's a start and we can go from there.

OF course it would put the crowds down replaceing good riders with riders who are half a lap behind is hardly going to make people pay £17 ...As I said before there plenty of leagues and ways for Brits to come through without given out hand outs and charity .

OF course it would put the crowds down replaceing good riders with riders who are half a lap behind is hardly going to make people pay £17 ...As I said before there plenty of leagues and ways for Brits to come through without given out hand outs and charity .

Well you are entitled to your opinion 'orion but the word charity is a silly statement and believe it or not i see riders half a lap behind now and who knows it might be less than 17 pound.?

Most of us going to meetings now have been going for years whilst the EL has been watered down mainly with overseas riders who are'nt much better than the British lads who can't get a ride in the EL and therefore would continue to turn up with British riders "watering" the EL down.

Any newcomers to the sport would'nt be put off by this because they would'nt know any different.

The arguement that some riders would be half a lap behind does'nt hold water as that is happening now, even a few heats in the GP's have riders tailed off but nobody notices the guy tootling around at the back if the leading 2/3 are providing a close fought battle at the front.

As I said orion - get rid of the expensive Foreign Riders and then the Price of watching Speedway would HAVE to come down accordingly.

It is one of the things that need to be done to improve British speedway and British riders standing in the sport. For example the ruling would have seen Lewis Kerr and Paul Starke, to name but two, in the Premier League a year or two earlier than they did.

Edited by Scunny Stag

As I said orion - get rid of the expensive Foreign Riders and then the Price of watching Speedway would HAVE to come down accordingly.

Seeing that 2 clubs in the National League currently charge £12 and 7 clubs in the Premier League charge between £15 and £16 currently (both leagues not awash with commuting foreign riders) how much do you seriously think admission is going to reduce by ?
  • Like 2

Seeing that 2 clubs in the National League currently charge £12 and 7 clubs in the Premier League charge between £15 and £16 currently (both leagues not awash with commuting foreign riders) how much do you seriously think admission is going to reduce by ?

Even £2 or £3 would help. If you come along as a Family of say four - then £8 to £12 saved straight away.

It would probably encourage more people to attend too.

A no brainer for me.

Edited by The White Knight

Spot on ..Speedway is never going to go down in price no matter if there are 7 brits in the side .

Spot on ..Speedway is never going to go down in price no matter if there are 7 brits in the side .

With thinking like THAT - Speedway is DEAD!!!

Might be worth doing if say those two riders were under-21,and were to be reserves for all season,not put up into the main team just because their average dictates.Something similar to what they do in Poland.

• Like 2