British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
boywonder

Watford Speedway 1969?

Planning applications are in to knock down a stand at Vicarage Road, the home of Watford FC.

Documents show a 1969 application for speedway racing, I presume to be staged on the greyhound track that was around the pitch back then.

The papers aren't accessible now.

A shame it clearly came to nowt, but does anyone know anything about this or who, or which promotion, was behind the plan?

I have a vague memory of the bid to start speedway at Watford in 1969. I think a rider who had links to Rayleigh and possibly Wimbledon may have been involved in the venture but his name escapes me at the moment. In my ignorance I'll say it was Pete "something or other"!

Here's a link with a brioef mention of the project.

http://www.hornethis...com/1969-70.htm

Edited by Guest

I lived in Watford for over 20 years, only moving away last year and in all that time never knew or heard anything about this application.

I would love to know if the application was rejected by the council or the football club also if it had been approved and racing started would it have stopped Wembleys return in 1970 with the so called 30 mile rule ?

Elsewhere, I have seen the name of Geoff Pennikett given as one of those involved in trying to start speedway at Watford in 1969.

I lived in Watford for over 20 years, only moving away last year and in all that time never knew or heard anything about this application.

I would love to know if the application was rejected by the council or the football club also if it had been approved and racing started would it have stopped Wembleys return in 1970 with the so called 30 mile rule ?

Would not have made any difference as West Ham, Hackney and West Ham were all racing in the British League Division One.and were all within 30 miles of Wembley In the National league there was Crayford,Rayleigh and Romford also within 30 miles.

Multi track promotor Cyril Crane was behind the plans to stage speedway at Watford!

In the late 60's British speedway had developed into a boom period and people were trying to open up tracks everywhere cause back in them days you could almost open up anywhere and be guaranteed viable crowds!

Cyril had many attempts at reopening Norwich speedway even going as far as opening a black licence track just north of the city in 1976 that ran one meeting. Around the time of the Watford attempt he also tryed to open a track at Colchester but nearby Ipswich who've always attracted a sprinkling of fans from that neck of the woods protested and nothing came of it!

We'll never know but I think its likely that the combination of Cyrils nous, speedways popularity at the time and Watford being a biggish place not far from London that speedway at Vicarage Road could of done well for a while. Probably had this happened then Watford speedway could of ticked along nicely until the early 80's until speedways popularity started to fall away and the football club would of had enough??

Edited by 25yearfan

Would not have made any difference as West Ham, Hackney and West Ham were all racing in the British League Division One.and were all within 30 miles of Wembley In the National league there was Crayford,Rayleigh and Romford also within 30 miles.

west ham was a great track, but did you have to name it twice! :wink: