British Speedway Forum

Would it be a good idea to try and enter speedway as an Olympic sport.

The exposure speedway would get would be huge and could move the sport to the next step

What is stopping us doing this? Sport not big enough or is it that the sport has to be invited by the Olympic organisers

The Olympics has to be human powered, so no motorsport.

Of course. So it does.. Thanks SCB

Can this thread get locked please

Edited by Phil The Ace

Horses aren't human :blink:;)

• Like 3

In 1948 or possibly 1949 , the old 'Speedway Echo' put forward a strong case for speedway to be recognised as an Olympic sport. It failed for reasons previously given that Olympic events must be human generated. I agree - it's a puzzle how horse riding events beat that criteria. There must be an explanation about this exemption somewhere.

Edited by Guest

In 1948 or possibly 1949 , the old 'Speedway Echo' put forward a strong case for speedway to be recognised as an Olympic sport. It failed for reasons previously given that Olympic events must be human generated. I agree - it's a puzzle how horse riding events beat that criteria. There mus be an explanation about this exemption somewhere.

MONEY!!! :shock: :shock: :shock::blink::t:

In 1948 or possibly 1949 , the old 'Speedway Echo' put forward a strong case for speedway to be recognised as an Olympic sport. It failed for reasons previously given that Olympic events must be human generated. I agree - it's a puzzle how horse riding events beat that criteria. There must be an explanation about this exemption somewhere.

MONEY!!! :shock: :shock: :shock::blink::t:

Reflecting on this issue, possibly not only money but greater interest for horse sport generally - maybe?

Also sailing boats.

I think they are acceptable. They are not powered by an engine and need a lot of human guidance to be involved. A motorised vehicle is a different thing - as would be Olympic power boat racing.

From memory to be considered as an Olympic sport the said sport has to be run at a sufficiently high standard in approx 80% of countries who are part of the Olympic movement.Nevermind the no motorsport rule kicking in.

So thats Team GB out before it starts

I bet all the African and Asian Speedway Federations are furious about this.
  • Like 1

I think they are acceptable. They are not powered by an engine and need a lot of human guidance to be involved. A motorised vehicle is a different thing - as would be Olympic power boat racing.

Yes but they need a lot of wind . So should use the BSPA. :party:

• Like 1

Yes but they need a lot of wind . So should use the BSPA. :party:

...............................they need water too. :shock: :shock: :wink:

or - am I taking the p***. :blink:

• Like 1