British Speedway Forum
NickRushbrook

Riders Who Come On Later In Their Careers.

Usually, progress is fairly simple for aspiring young riders and they end up being heat leader standard by

Was thinking about Martin Smolinski's rise to heat leader when I decided to start this thread.

Quite incredible when you consider how long he's been around.

The only other one who come to mind is David Norris. He was always a good standard to be fair but one season he looked world class.

Any others come to mind?

Zetterstrom spent years as a reserve/second string and then got into his 30s and won an EU title, a few years later in his mid-30s a Swedish title and made the GPs in his late 30s

Smolinski at 29 is hardly late in his career, tho i take your point.

Adam Skornicki, whilst perhaps is best described as a decent 3rd heat leader certainly won his National Championship later on in his career in 2008 at 32.

Usually, progress is fairly simple for aspiring young riders and they end up being heat leader standard by

Was thinking about Martin Smolinski's rise to heat leader when I decided to start this thread.

Smolinski came on quick once he got to 550!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I'd put Leigh Adams in this category, especially in the GPs, it wasn't until his 30s he started to actually become a contender too win it.

2007 (I think) was year he finished 2nd overall. He would have been well into his 30s then.

Still time for Bridger then.. :shock:

• Like 1

Harold MacNaughton started on speedway at Hastings in 1949, and went on to ride for Southampton and New Cross. Also rode for England at Division Two level - in a time when such matches were a meaningful part of the international scene. He retired aged 44 because of a heart condition but lived until he was 89.

Tom Oakley started at Southampton in 1948 aged 38 years, later rode for New Cross and Bristol. He was also capped for England at Division Two level. He retired at the end of the 1953 season.

Buzz Burrows..... The most naturally gifted rider never to be world champion.

A shoe in for a wild card in 2014 given the current talent pool!! Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv

Hancock.

Didn't really do it in the GP's until he hit the 30's

so the GPs started just before he turned twenty five. In his twenties he was world champ, finished on the podium in another season, won four world team/pair titles, and three individual GPs. not really doing it?

In his 30s he didn't win a world title, finished top three twice, and won seven gps over 10 years.

in his 40s, he's been world champ, finished third, and won 4 gps.

to be honest, i think his 30s was actually his worst decade !?!

A couple of riders come to mind for me i know they didn't do it over a long period but the two were Neil Street and Graham Drury.Streety i know he had a massive advantage with his conversion but he had one real good year upped his average considerably.Drury who was always a decent rider really upped his game reached the BLRC on merit and was a genuine no1 in the averages.

Hancock.

Didn't really do it in the GP's until he hit the 30's

Apart from the whole "winning the world championship in his 20s bit " ?

You may be a troll but you still do my head in. If you want to drag people into your little wind ups, at least do some some research.

Anyway, bow-locks to you...

The only other one who come to mind is David Norris. He was always a good standard to be fair but one season he looked world class.

Any others come to mind?

Mr David Mullett

A couple of riders come to mind for me i know they didn't do it over a long period but the two were Neil Street and

I've got no input on Bill's riding or his average as it was way before my time. But just hearing his name strikes many happy memories for me and some nights of anecdotes and basically good times with a fantastic bloke.

I have memories of sharing a brilliantly disgraceful night in Zagreb with him and some other high profile figures including perhaps a few of the current sky team ;-) where i was very nearly arrested (not for crystal meth dealing btw but for bleeping a croatian bloke with a bleep) - and an equally horrifying night with Shovlar and Streety in Stockholm.

Good memories with a good bloke.