British Speedway Forum
NickRushbrook

Riders Who Come On Later In Their Careers.

Peter Carr was a decent rider before retirement but one of the best in the PL when he returned for Edin after a couple years out.

Jimmy Gooch would definitely come into this category. He pottered around as a reserve for donkey's years then suddenly at the age of 42, he had a purple patch and was good enough to qualify for the World Championship Final.

Peter Carr was a decent rider before retirement but one of the best in the PL when he returned for Edin after a couple years out.

Had a great trick of diving under the opposition i often wonder if young riders ever watch videos/dvds of old riders to learn some new/old tricks.Fairly sure the Monarchs fans would have the motor back in the team in a heartbeat even better if they could get his average reassessed to 3 or 4

Aub Lawson. He was always a good international class rider but in his late 40s he was at his very best and reached the World Championship rostrum.

Jack Parker must come in to the reckoning. :unsure: :unsure:

Jack Parker must come in to the reckoning. :unsure: :unsure:

Hardly.He was a top rider pretty much from the start of speedway in the UK :blink:

Oops - you are right iris123 - I have just reread the Thread Title. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm getting on you know. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Not sure you can class a rider who was a British Junior Champ, and peaked at the age of 23/24 (86/7 seasons) as a late developer?

If you look at Mauger as an example then hans Nielsen couldn't have been much younger when he won his first title.Seemed to explode on the scene as a teenager,but took ages for that first world crown

He was only 26 I believe when he won his first title, so still quite a bit younger than Mauger, and not really old at all.

Interesting case though Nielsen - world team champ at 18, world pairs champ at 19, first world final and equal top of the BL averages at 80 but then...

leap ahead to the 81 world final, where you had a superb crop of young talent. Reigning champ Mike Lee still just 21 and already in his fourth final. New champ Penhall just 23 in his second final. Knudsen third on debut at 19. Carter (20) and gundersen (21) both robbed of a medal on debut by engine failures. Hans however finished well down the field.

Ultimately it was to take him 5 attempts to reach the podium, and 7 to win the title, I wonder if both of those are records of the World Final era? Yet, hardly a late developer, given he rode in every world final from the time he was 20 until he was in his 30s, and arguably he was the best rider in the world for a decade starting from 83 (age 23).

• Like 1

Interesting case though Nielsen - world team champ at 18, world pairs champ at 19, first world final and equal top of the BL averages at 80 but then...

Amazing! Even Wal Morton called a halt to speedway when he was 54 - after 32 years in the sport. :icon_smile_clown: Serioudly, I do know what you mean...!

Amazing! Even Wal Morton called a halt to speedway when he was 54 - after 32 years in the sport. :icon_smile_clown: Serioudly, I do know what you mean...!

obviously was thinking of the year (80) when I meant to type his age (20).

obviously was thinking of the year (80) when I meant to type his age (20).

I thought that I made clear what you really meant? I wasn't trying to ridicule what was an interesting comment. :nono:

Edited by Guest

Does Kent Kings' rider Adam Kirby qualify? His biog on the Kings website reveals a late start in the sport:

"18 year old Adam Kirby from Lincolnshire a late starter in the sport having not started until the age of 12 quickly became one of the top UK juniors and was runner up in the British Under 15 championship in 2010. Adam spent 2011 and 2012 honing his skills up and down the country in second halves and in winter events as well as turning out in the Anglian Junior League for the Peterborough Thundercats."

Edited by Guest