British Speedway Forum

That's the problem isn't it, we are not in a great position to rejoin the top flight. It would still mean borrowing plenty of riders again. What we dropped down to do we haven't really done. Could we really afford to pay top money for a couple of top riders?

That's the problem isn't it, we are not in a great position to rejoin the top flight. It would still mean borrowing plenty of riders again. What we dropped down to do we haven't really done. Could we really afford to pay top money for a couple of top riders?

Well we did, and for more years than I care to remember. And we only dropped down a division because we didn't have a major team sponsor, which we now have.

Who knows Baldy, but I agree with Catch22 something needs to breath new life in to the Witches because things seem to have gone very stale.

I can see positives and negatives for both Leagues if I'm honest, but again It's the clubs in the top flight that I miss riding against.

• Like 1

Although I would love to see the highest possible standard of Speedway available at Foxhall next year I will be happy to go with whatever level is financially viable !

Ultimately we dropped down because we couldn't afford to compete in the EL and that may possibly still be the case as im sure most of us have no idea of the precise level of sponsorship Sackers very kindly provide us with .

Im sure there will be teams across the board that are going to struggle to come up with the cash for the compulsory safety fences and also those around that have been on the edge financially this year anyway .

Obviously this is all speculation as nobody knows how the league's will be set up or how many there will be or wether sky still be involved or not so my humble opinion is at this stage that I will take any Speedway that is sustainable in the current economical environment over none at all !

• Like 2

Well we did, and for more years than I care to remember. And we only dropped down a division because we didn't have a major team sponsor, which we now have.

Who knows Baldy, but I agree with Catch22 something needs to breath new life in to the Witches because things seem to have gone very stale.

I can see positives and negatives for both Leagues if I'm honest, but again It's the clubs in the top flight that I miss riding against.

You are both right we do need new life breathed into the club. I am sure a lot of it has something to do with the total lack of atmosphere. If there was atmosphere and noise and a more uplifted crowd, I think it would then at least seem interesting. Other tracks manage to produce atmosphere and it does seem to make a difference when I visit.

Ipswich is a top flight team, there is a chance some fans are getting bored of Premier lge racing and yearn for a return to the top flight. I certainly know a few that have picked their meetings carefully this year...

You are both right we do need new life breathed into the club. I am sure a lot of it has something to do with the total lack of atmosphere. If there was atmosphere and noise and a more uplifted crowd, I think it would then at least seem interesting. Other tracks manage to produce atmosphere and it does seem to make a difference when I visit.

I think Ive mentioned before about the atmosphere being difficult due to Foxhall being a vast open bowl. Even when people do get excited it just disappears into the air.

Perhaps we could try only having the mid section of the main stand used - everyone has to sit there. If the whole crowd was together it would help.

There are often good races and I often turn round to super blue and say, the crowd are going made or loving it or something like that, and you just look around, nothing, no one clapping, no one cheering. It is strange. I dropped my pen the other week and that made more noise. Getting the crowd closer together would help, but speedway fans are a strange bunch of people and get very sulky if they can't sit in their normal spot. Although we are not allowed air horns, there must be other noise making implements we can use.

Edited by Baldyman

As far as atmosphere goes everyones comments are correct , it is abysmal at Foxhall .

I still don't understand why things like air horns are banned as although they can be irritating if used to excess they certainly add to the whole ambiance of a visit to a sporting event .

I know it's about noise levels but it's not like Foxhall is a town center stadium and the locals know what happens on a Thursday night in Ipswich anyway .

The only way to improve atmosphere is to increase crowd size and the only way to do that is to provide excitement by giving something that the public wants to see !

As a side issue they don't exactly help themselves at Ipswich on the crowd front as although they offer " kids go free " in the school holidays they never seem to do any deals at any other times as other tracks seem to .

From a personal point of view I would have been a season ticket holder for many years but am not for one reason , they are under no circumstances transferable and I have to miss 3 or 4 meetings a year for various reasons and that makes buying one uneconomical . If only they were flexible enough to allow someone else to use a season ticket they would have my money in their pockets before the start of any season !

As I said the Witches promotion don't particularly help themselves or the paying public and I think that's half the problem at the moment !

• Like 1

Omg you can't come on here and criticize the promotion lol. But you are totally right. Very few incentives or ideas to get the public through the gates.

I think all on here are in agreement that a season ticket is not great value - miss 2 and you are out of pocket.

The kids summer deal did seem to work - I saw people who otherwise hadnt been all year.

Perhaps they could do a kids season ticket at a £ or 2 a meeting - that way you may get some extra regular paying adults.

How about kids always free with a paying adult. Next week is British touring cars final round, guess what, kids are free. I know a few extra people that will be going because of this. Someone else came up with an idea of 10 entry and cheaper alcohol and they said that would also get plenty more through the gate. The sport or entertainment as it is just doesn't appeal to the people it should be trying to attract

How many extra people would we get going back into top league? And for how long? The biggest problem is value for money, and your evenings entertainment. What's going to get new people in or people back and keep them coming back? I think most clubs gates have fallen a fair bit over recent seasons.

Edited by Baldyman

Anyway , back to speculation assuming we are in the same league , who would we want back next year ?

For me ,

Ben . Probably yes as he's said he would do things differently if given another chance to be our true out and out No1 and hopefully will be given the opportunity to prove it .

Cam . Definitely yes , the kid has shown massive progression this year and is going places in this sport . 100% needs to be around next year .

Rohan . Hmmm unsure , again probably yes , hasn't improved as much as I would have hoped this season but im sure he has it in him to do so .

Leigh . I don't think so , im not sure if continuing with him is the way forward for the Witches as he's obviously on the way down in his career .

Morten . It's a no im afraid , he should be so much better at this level but just seems to keep going missing when the pressure is really on and won't leave the white line .

Adam . Another unsure , great if he can gate but passing when behind has been virtually non existent , bikes seemed slow , has put over a point on his average but personally I was expecting to see more of a racer after the hype about him .

Ritchie . Would like to see him back if he still wants to carry on speedway , after a slowish start has come good and has bagged a few decent scores , a solid reserve in my opinion .

That's my opinion on the current team , will save my ideas on potential newcomers for a later post .

I would keep cam and Rohan maybe bring back North.