British Speedway Forum

Foxhall to Poole 199 miles

Foxhall to Belle Vue 224 miles

Foxhall to Scunthorpe 178 miles

So the furthest away from Ipswich in EL is Belle Vue and yet the 3rd nearest in PL is only 46 miles less

That's cos there is only a few of us Ipswich fans that post on here.

I would stick my oar in about 2014 but what's the point? I'll wait until after the EGM, the AGM, and the "Sky have pulled the plug, what the **** are we going to do GM". I was talking to someone yesterday who has spoken to a few promoters, and no one has got a clue about next season. So I'll come back to this thread when we've got a clue. I'd love to see a bigger top division with no GP riders, but that would totally screw the other premier teams that cant afford it. Some promoters will suggest a north/south thing, some will want to keep better riders, others will want something different, It'll be a big mess. I hope they can sort it out quickly, but I wont hold my breath. I'll be back on here when they do.
  • Like 5

I guess that's one thing we do know, that after the AGM everything will probably be its usually mess and heads still buried in the sand about how to take the sport forward.

• Like 2

I guess that's one thing we do know, that after the AGM everything will probably be its usually mess and heads still buried in the sand about how to take the sport forward.

How is it possible to take a sport forward, when attendances are falling year on year. Do you have any idea's on reversing that trend ? Personally I think all under 16's should get in free, and under 18's just a fiver...
  • Like 2

Yeah taking it forward also means getting bigger crowds, the whole sport is marketed wrong, oh no hang on, it's not marketed at all. Was the red bull x fighters that big a few years ago? No it was marketed properly to the right people. That's how you takeaway sport forward.

And yes you are right, kids should always get in free. And yes under 18 and students and pensioners a fiver. Then put on some good entertainment.

• Like 3

I would stick my oar in about 2014 but what's the point?

Surely it doesnt hurt to speculate on and debate possibilties or put together fantasy scenarios?

Personally I think all under 16's should get in free, and under 18's just a fiver...

Of course they should. Get the supporters of tomorrow hooked. If I take my boy next year its then £20 for the both of us . Nothing is done for families. Also need to finish meetings by 9pm nothing worse than having meetings drag on when its cold

• Like 2

And not finishing late would be one less excuse why parents can't take their children. You are right about taking children and getting them hooked, but speedway clubs don't think about the future only what they can or can't get now. When the stadium is finished, rubbish dirty run down stadiums will be another excuse that also won't be able to be used to why people don't go. Why are there never any promotional flyers or snippets in the papers of other local ish towns like Colchester or Sudbury or Chelmsford? I never see anything about speedway in my local paper or other papers not in Ipswich.

• Like 1

ring up the workington promotion team. they will put you right.. things like the entrance fee for a start.

ring up the workington promotion team. they will put you right.. things like the entrance fee for a start.

out of interest and with no hidden agenda - what is the average attendance at DP?

out of interest and with no hidden agenda - what is the average attendance at DP?

I would say it's somewhere between 700-1000 this year, from a town of 25,000 people I think that's pretty good

1000 probably on the high side, closer to 700 I reckon

Edited by Django

That figure of just under 1000 seems to be the norm unfortunately - Eastbourne quoted as similar recently also.

No club can afford to lose any off that number and those that do make the extra effort deserve any reward they get.

Yeah taking it forward also means getting bigger crowds, the whole sport is marketed wrong, oh no hang on, it's not marketed at all. Was the red bull x fighters that big a few years ago? No it was marketed properly to the right people. That's how you takeaway sport forward.

And yes you are right, kids should always get in free. And yes under 18 and students and pensioners a fiver. Then put on some good entertainment.

Four years ago my eldest son stopped going to Foxhall because he turned 16, at the time, he had only just started in 5th year (year 11) and was in compulsory education...he was too young for a student card as he was in compulsory education but too old for child rate, so we were faced with paying full adult rate for him to go. He went from never missing a meeting since he was approx 8, to only going to one meeting in the last 4 years. Even the student rate was too much for him in 6th form and now he has moved away for university.

Tomorrow, middle son is going for the last time, same story as above but he has been going even longer as he hadn't even started school when he started going.

Both absolutely loved speedway but financially, once they hit 16, it just becomes far too expensive...especially now compulsory education has been extended to 18 (17 or 1st year of 6th form/college for the current year 12). Even if they get a part time job, at the current rates, it would take up all their part time earnings that they can safely earn before it has an impact on their studies, leaving nothing for the extras which come with that age.

Speedway needs to move with the times, children can no longer leave school at 16 and get a full time job, the best they can hope for is a part time job for a few hous a week to fit in with their studies.

Just over 4 years ago, there was 5 of us in our little group..,,next year, there will be 2.

Edited by crazysue
  • Like 3

Speedway needs to move with the times,

Just over 4 years ago, there was 5 of us in our little group..,,next year, there will be 2.

And there lies Speedway's biggest problem......thinking about today and not tomorrow :sad:

• Like 1

Cam update....

First check went well - bone knit already better than would be expected so soon after. Also has more movement than expected at this stage.

New cast fitted. Good news - just needs to take care and do as little as possible with it!