British Speedway Forum
Woz01

Coventry Bees 2014

THERE was a spell this year when Sky switched to Wednesday night speedway and alternated between Birmingham, King's Lynn and Poole for obvious reasons. Spme tracks obviously find it moire difficult to switch their race-night to a Monday or Wednesday and say actively decline the opportunity

Grand Central... does the seven Poole meetings include the play-offs? How many times did the other tracks feature?

Yes, the seven for Poole does include the Play Offs.

Birmingham did almost as well with four home meetings before their two in the Play Offs as well.

But all other clubs were just also rans with either just one or two home showings.

I will qualify this by reiterating that I did miss a couple of meetings earlier in the year.

PR, perhaps you could help us understand what the method of splitting the Sky Money has been ... in general terms, of course.

I thought it was along the lines of ...

Starting at £1M per annum with the first 20% going to TR.

A certain amount was then put aside for staging club's 'compensation' (how much?).

The rest of the bulk was split eleven ways with each EL club getting an equal share and the whole PL sharing the eleventh slice.

Is this about right?

PS

I agree that this discussion should be carried on elsewhere.

This is not fair on the Coventry folk who want to chat about their own stuff.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

Second best..Somerset is better...

Somerset is the best Prem lge track English, but i think crazyb was referring to Elite lge tracks...

Second best..Somerset is better...

Except they are not in the EL

Just looking at my hard drive where I have archived meetings this year.

27 meetings saved (including 3 PL) and SEVEN are from Wimborne Road.

4 others also feature Poole away.

This is not an exhaustive list as I did miss a couple of meetings when I was out of the country

Well there you go - Poole "Sky Sports" Pirates - confirming what we knew already :wink:

Somerset is the best Prem lge track English, but i think crazyb was referring to Elite lge tracks...

My error in my haste to have my say!

Except they are not in the EL

Well there you go - Poole "Sky Sports" Pirates - confirming what we knew already :wink:

Ahhh....but maybe 2014!

My error in my haste to have my say!

Take your time English, your always good for a read.. :D

I think there was only one Sky meeting at Brandon in 2013?

so using the 7 meetings at home out of 27.

Half the available funds is split between the teams, so £40k each.

then 7/27 is 26% of the compensation funds.

so if you do the maths (i do apologize i was slightly out earlier) Poole received 18% of the sky money.

we can get back to the bees now i think the point has been proved me lord!

so using the 7 meetings at home out of 27.

Half the available funds is split between the teams, so £40k each.

then 7/27 is 26% of the compensation funds.

so if you do the maths (i do apologize i was slightly out earlier) Poole received 18% of the sky money.

we can get back to the bees now i think the point has been proved me lord!

maths not your strong point , I don't know what you think the home promoter gets for being on sky but it's pittance

Starting at £1M per annum with the first 20% going to TR.

A certain amount was then put aside for staging club's 'compensation' (how much?).

The rest of the bulk was split eleven ways with each EL club getting an equal share and the whole PL sharing the eleventh slice.

Is this about right?

This is a pure guesstimate...

I recall a promoter saying each BEL team got something like 50K per year, and I've a recollection that a share went to the BPL as well. So that would suggest a total of about 550K per year, leaving 250K for compensation payments.

There are what, 30 matches televised each season, which potentially means 8K could be available per match. I'm not sure whether that's split evenly between the two teams, more to the home team, or just to the home team.

the cost or lack of is directly proportional to the sky money, hence why it is on the thread.

if sky is lost it will not have a great effect on us as poole, thats the point, why do you think they can afford greg hancock and we cant? are crowds are bigger

• Like 4

the cost or lack of is directly proportional to the sky money, hence why it is on the thread.

if sky is lost it will not have a great effect on us as poole, thats the point, why do you think they can afford greg hancock and we cant? are crowds are bigger

Is it because Ford's arms are longer than Horton's? :D

No!

No!

Thanks for your considered and well thought out reply. :D

It was just that when the bees had the chance to strengthen up mid season , we were told by Horton that there were no riders out there that wanted to ride in the UK.

Just at that time other clubs started introducing new riders into their teams, while we got Allen, Robbo,Screen,etc.

Seems to suggest to me that money was an issue.