British Speedway Forum
Woz01

Coventry Bees 2014

It was just that when the bees had the chance to strengthen up mid season , we were told by Horton that there were no riders out there that wanted to ride in the UK.

Just at that time other clubs started introducing new riders into their teams, while we got Allen, Robbo,Screen,etc.

Seems to suggest to me that money was an issue.

Perhaps Horton simply couldn't afford the rumoured £500 per point Hancock got from Poole?

Thanks for your considered and well thought out reply. :D

It was just that when the bees had the chance to strengthen up mid season , we were told by Horton that there were no riders out there that wanted to ride in the UK.

Just at that time other clubs started introducing new riders into their teams, while we got Allen, Robbo,Screen,etc.

Seems to suggest to me that money was an issue.

Money was an issue, we were owed a lot in loan fees (allegedly) and didnt get a transfer fee that was ordered. When budgeting for the season and not getting whats due to you there isnt much you can do.

Perhaps Horton simply couldn't afford the rumoured £500 per point Hancock got from Poole?

£500 per point? Scoring 14pts = £7,000 = over 500 adult fans.

Is this more Chinese Whisper than rumour?

• Like 1

The season went wrong for the bees much earlier than that. Horton failed to strengthen up when he had the space to do so .

Not getting Greg isn't the issue.

Edited by Dave Jones

£500 per point? Scoring 14pts = £7,000 = over 500 adult fans.

Is this more Chinese Whisper than rumour?

Sponsors perhaps. I understand the club dont pay Holders fee sponsors do so I suppose they could have took over Hancocks wages.

Depending o the many calculations on here its reasonable to assume that at a minimum Poole were getting twice the money from SKY as most teams and could be as much as three times.

The issue around bees strengthening, i would like to know (because we all knew the team was a shocker in april) could we not change the team, because either we were running to a strict budget or that the budget was much smaller than anticipated because teams like Birmingham hadn't paid a) transfer fee B) loan fee c)the agreed proportion of the away teams wages?

Certainly you wouldn't want to do business with Birmingham again, unless you get money up front

• Like 1

Depending o the many calculations on here its reasonable to assume that at a minimum Poole were getting twice the money from SKY as most teams and could be as much as three times.

The issue around bees strengthening, i would like to know (because we all knew the team was a shocker in april) could we not change the team, because either we were running to a strict budget or that the budget was much smaller than anticipated because teams like Birmingham hadn't paid a) transfer fee B) loan fee c)the agreed proportion of the away teams wages?

Certainly you wouldn't want to do business with Birmingham again, unless you get money up front

Phil,

You are right, it would be nice to hear the truth. The only thing we do know is that Horton told us that the riders were not out there, they were as we saw when other clubs bought them into their teams.

I thought it was pretty well documented that all EL clubs received around £90k/£100k from Sky as a 'flat fee'. Plus each home club received an additional fee for a televised meeting, between £5k and £10k, which was originally agreed to help offset any fall-off in attendance.

Whatever everyone's thoughts/bias towards their own club, presumably Sky selected the meetings that would expect to attract the best audience?!

If Sky chose not to cover Bees (or any other club) meetings then it presumably reflected that team's league position and opponents at that time!

Edited by Skidder1

Hancock didn't ride like he was on £500 per point!

I thought it was pretty well documented that all EL clubs received around £90k/£100k from Sky as a 'flat fee'. Plus each home club received an additional fee for a televised meeting, between £5k and £10k, which was originally agreed to help offset any fall-off in attendance.

I would like to see the document that did show such figures.

As they just do not add up.

Ten clubs getting a flat fee of anywhere near £100k (plus the PL share).

That's a £1M already.

So the extra money for 30 meetings at an up to £10k per match compensation ... £250 to £300k?

AND 'Mr20%' Terry Russell's £200k.

Where does that fit in?

Edited by Grand Central

The only riders bought in from other sides that I would have liked was Michelsen and Kylmakorpi the others didnt impress much. Mikkel Bech was another one but he wanted a PL spot, maybe next year.

Would Bees fans like Auty back?

Would love to see him at Boro, and would imagine Bees fans would welcome him with open arms..

• Like 1

Would love to see him at Boro, and would imagine Bees fans would welcome him with open arms..

Id guess a number of teams would be after him. Didnt get a chance at Brandon first time round, I think he deserves another chance IF he wants it.
  • Like 3