British Speedway Forum
Woz01

Coventry Bees 2014

Dont think many people had Tai to finish 15th he's different class to Harris

Tai`s gating skills are better than Bombers but Bombers passing skills far exceed Woffy`s

I think we all know Tai is on another level to Bomber now. I hope Bombers inclusion in the gps will enhance his league form.

If you read the GP thread before the start of last season most of the posters had Tai to finish last and moaning that he only got in because he was British and didnt deserve to be in the line up. He obviously proved them wrong.

Tai however was a young improving rider, who was only going to get better. There are a number of riders that are young and improving, and Bomber is hardly one of them to be fair..
  • Like 3

at least he got this position far and square and not a nominated pick!

he put the effort in for the qualifiers and because gollobs exit he gets a place, thats speedway!

at least he got this position far and square and not a nominated pick!

he put the effort in for the qualifiers and because gollobs exit he gets a place, thats speedway!

If you're being serious, this is actually quite amusing. See the Wilds Cards 2014 thread or the one for the GP Challenge if you want to see why.

• Like 2

You are wrong-Chris Harris is not a wildcard-Gollob was and has declined so the next in line from the Poole staged challenge final is promoted into the series.The rights and wrongs of Harris`s inclusion in that Poole meeting has been debated at length on the wildcard`s thread.

Having voiced many times before, my disapproval of the SGP qualification system, but, apparently, it is an widely accepted practise now.

The first 8 finishes in last years series are guaranteed entry, Plus 3 riders from the qualification series run last year, Plus 4 Wild-Card entries, all of which are of the discretion of the organisers, and lastly a home-picked rider to make the numbers up at each meetings.

So there are 3 different ways to attain entry into the SGP. and they are not connected. Just because Harris is the next rider on the list from the Qualifier rounds, it doesn't necessarily mean he gets the nod. when a place become available from the other two forms of entry. As long as 3 riders from the qualifiers have made it through to the SGP, then the next rider on the list is irrelevant. The WC entries are there so the organisers have the final say in who gets selected. I have no complaint against Bomber and if he's in the SGP in 2014, I wish him all the best and hope he does well. All I said in my original post is that there are more deserving riders then Bomber Harris.

• Like 2

Gonna be one hell of a battle for the 14th & 15th place between Bomber & Smolinski but hope they both prove us wrong.

Well someone has to finish in those positions and whoever it is will be be damn good riders anyway!

Having voiced many times before, my disapproval of the SGP qualification system, but, apparently, it is an widely accepted practise now.

The first 8 finishes in last years series are guaranteed entry, Plus 3 riders from the qualification series run last year, Plus 4 Wild-Card entries, all of which are of the discretion of the organisers, and lastly a home-picked rider to make the numbers up at each meetings.

So there are 3 different ways to attain entry into the SGP. and they are not connected. Just because Harris is the next rider on the list from the Qualifier rounds, it doesn't necessarily mean he gets the nod. when a place become available from the other two forms of entry. As long as 3 riders from the qualifiers have made it through to the SGP, then the next rider on the list is irrelevant. The WC entries are there so the organisers have the final say in who gets selected. I have no complaint against Bomber and if he's in the SGP in 2014, I wish him all the best and hope he does well. All I said in my original post is that there are more deserving riders then Bomber Harris.

I agree!

The fact that Gollob was offered a spot as an organizers pick which he has now refused means that BSI could in theory have picked ANYONE to replace him.

If Emil withdraws, it would be different, as he qualified for 2014 SGP series and so the next best qualifier - i.e Harris or now Troy should take his place.

As happy as I am that Bomber being picked means we will have 3 BRITS at Cardiff, he has to be the luckiest rider around to get a pick. I am surprised BSI never opted for MJJ or Dudek as both are young riders with bags of talent/potential.

I hope Bomber grabs this chance with both hands and gains a top 8 finish.

Couldn't give a sheet what all the negative massive are spouting, he is British he will have my full backing.

• Like 2

Couldn't give a sheet what all the negative massive are spouting, he is British he will have my full backing.

You're right, instead of offering a reasoned opinion on Bomber's inclusion in the 2014 SGP series I should have just cheered!!

Anyway of course he deserves his pick, after all he was the 4th best rider in his Elite League side last season : )

• Like 2

I agree!

The fact that Gollob was offered a spot as an organizers pick which he has now refused means that BSI could in theory have picked ANYONE to replace him.

If Emil withdraws, it would be different, as he qualified for 2014 SGP series and so the next best qualifier - i.e Harris or now Troy should take his place.

As happy as I am that Bomber being picked means we will have 3 BRITS at Cardiff, he has to be the luckiest rider around to get a pick. I am surprised BSI never opted for MJJ or Dudek as both are young riders with bags of talent/potential.

I hope Bomber grabs this chance with both hands and gains a top 8 finish.

The point you make about Gollob being a wild card pick and then refusing the chance is not quite accurate. In the first instance Gollob accepted the wild card pick (as published on his own website) and was included in the final declared line up for 2014. If he had declined before the final line up had been declared then your view that BSI would have had the chance to pick/select another rider of their choice would be correct. But as Gollob withdrew after the cut off date the FIM rules clearly state that the next avaialble reserve will take the spot left vacant irresspective of how the withdrawn rider made the final decalred list of riders. Initially I had not seen this point in the rules & like you thought BSI would have had another chance to select a rider of their choice but the rule is there in black & white & so Harris has quite correctly benefited from his efforts at Poole.

Incidently, we should also remember that during the Poole GP qualifier Harris was comfortably leading in two races which were stopped because of fallers and, as so often happens in speedway he failed to win the reruns. Now I know thats speedway, but I have no doubt that had the other riders not fallen then Bomber would have won both races and consequently secured enough points to have qualified for the GP's on his own merit. So perhaps from his point of view some sort of justice has been done...and now we Brits have two good blokes to cheer for through the GP series...seems a long time since that was the case!

Edited by 1 valve

http://www.fim-live.com/fileadmin/alfresco/6550004_eng.pdf

see pages 22 - 23

The point you make about Gollob being a wild card pick and then refusing the chance is not quite accurate. In the first instance Gollob accepted the wild card pick (as published on his own website) and was included in the final declared line up for 2014. If he had declined before the final line up had been declared then your view that BSI would have had the chance to pick/select another rider of their choice would be correct. But as Gollob withdrew after the cut off date the FIM rules clearly state that the next avaialble reserve will take the spot left vacant irresspective of how the withdrawn rider made the final decalred list of riders. Initially I had not seen this point in the rules & like you thought BSI would have had another chance to select a rider of their choice but the rule is there in black & white & so Harris has quite correctly benefited from his efforts at Poole.

Incidently, we should also remember that during the Poole GP qualifier Harris was comfortably leading in two races which were stopped because of fallers and, as so often happens in speedway he failed to win the reruns. Now I know thats speedway, but I have no doubt that had the other riders not fallen then Bomber would have won both races and consequently secured enough points to have qualified for the GP's on his own merit. So perhaps from his point of view some sort of justice has been done...and now we Brits have two good blokes to cheer for through the GP series...seems a long time since that was the case!

Thanks for clarifying the timings/detail of the Gollob affair.

3 riders at Cardiff (inc. the World Champion) should mean a 40,000 strong crowd : )

Tai however was a young improving rider, who was only going to get better. There are a number of riders that are young and improving, and Bomber is hardly one of them to be fair..

Im not disputing that, just pointed out most on this forum dismissed Tai chances and looked what happened. Harris is next in line as per the rules listed in Neil Watsons post.