British Speedway Forum

GOOD points Rob although we need to recognise that the production costs for a full season's coverage of the Elite League would appear to be prohibitive.

One TV exec in Stockholm said bluntly: "Why would you pay all that money to cover events at sparsely populated stadiums, on poorly prepared tracks, at the whim of the weather and between teams that never seem to be at full strength?"

Tough to argue with that which is why, personally, I can see merit in the idea of one channel going in hard at the end of the season and covering the play-offs in Britain, Poland and Sweden. They might even be persuaded to do an odd meeting (British Final perhaps) along the way especially if BSI were to throw in the Cardiff wild card for the highest placed rider other than Tai.

THE key thing though with Eurosport is that they don't have the OB facilities like SKY have. It is a big expense, staff, production trucks, satellite up-link and even catering.

I am sure if a third-party company provided the above, then I'm sure it'd be more appealing to Eurosport.

As I've said before, unless the BSPA sort out exactly what the product is, then SKY are likely to cut their ties; just like they did with the SGP.

PS - To the anti Phil Rising members out there; his input is always balanced and factual.

I'd be the first to point out that they buy programming rather than make it. These days though Sky, ITV and often even the BBC use outside OB crews hired-in for the purpose.

The big question is who will be providing the OB facilities for the basketball? It suggests that BE will have to start hiring facilities like the other major sports broadcasters.

GOOD points Rob although we need to recognise that the production costs for a full season's coverage of the Elite League would appear to be prohibitive.

One TV exec in Stockholm said bluntly: "Why would you pay all that money to cover events at sparsely populated stadiums, on poorly prepared tracks, at the whim of the weather and between teams that never seem to be at full strength?"

Tough to argue with that which is why, personally, I can see merit in the idea of one channel going in hard at the end of the season and covering the play-offs in Britain, Poland and Sweden. They might even be persuaded to do an odd meeting (British Final perhaps) along the way especially if BSI were to throw in the Cardiff wild card for the highest placed rider other than Tai.

We had the argument over empty stadia with Screen Sport thirty years ago. Some of the continuity announcers even went so far as to say "Over now to Rob in an empty stadium". It's hard when the main camera needs to sit above the majority of the crowd rather than facing.

You don't get that many people at basketball matches either by the way, although a few hundred do look better in a small sports hall and it is a much cheaper OB job.

I've been surprised that Sky's league coverage has lasted this long. Our coverage was on the cheap (VERY cheap) and I've been delighted to see the resources that Sky have put into the sport.

Sometimes though I have wondered if, given the state of the Elite League for several years, it isn't the wisest thing to put it on too public a display.

One lesson still doesn't seem to have been learnt - TV coverage is a shop window, not an easy subsidy for a financially-inefficient sport. PL clubs have been complimented for the efforts they've put in when covered - perhaps they weren't taking things for granted.

I'm in no doubt of the costs involved in covering a full season's speedway and the unlikelihood of anyone seeing it worthwhile. My comments were just to point out that British Eurosport are changing policy. Wishful thinking, not expectation.

I wonder what that exec would think of the Belle Vue Poole match if he were aware of the full circumstances? It was an insult to the viewers as well as those unfortunates who'd paid to get in.

Time to rebuild, if we can. The sport usually limps on somehow and there's still plenty of people looking to open tracks, it seems. We rely on people being willing to bail the sport out. We've been lucky that SKY did it for so long. That money should have been used to build a foundation, not thrown away on bikes.

IT is the question no one (as yet) appears willing or able to answer...

Perhaps someone "in the know" would like to have a go at explaining this issue...

If Belle Vue were given the option to use the covers for this TV sceduled meeting and declined to use them, for whatever reason, it needs explaining to the paying public. ..

PS - To the anti Phil Rising members out there; his input is always balanced and factual.

seconded

I'd be quite happy for him to be part of a think tank/ panel to right some of the ills

FARCE is about right. But I wasn't there. Had a chat with Kelvin Tatum about it and his view was that the meeting should never have started. Putting down sawdust and more material on an already saturated track only made matters worse in his opinion.

I have no concrete evidence there was any conspiracy but the fact that the meeting was conveniently called off when Poole were the requisite seven points ahead could only had fuel to the argument that there was.

Most interesting Mr Rising. You seem to be leaning here towards a belief something untoward took place.

Yet in your column for Speedway Star Extra you stated that any such 'conspiracy theory' suggestions were utter nonsense.

In a column where you have limited space rather than take the time to lambast the way that meeting was run, you wasted column inches with a futile attack on the sports fans. For your information it wasn't just a few members of the 'BSF' who were outraged that night, it was supporters up and down the country.

• Like 1

THE key thing though with Eurosport is that they don't have the OB facilities like SKY have. It is a big expense, staff, production trucks, satellite up-link and even catering.

I am sure if a third-party company provided the above, then I'm sure it'd be more appealing to Eurosport.

As I've said before, unless the BSPA sort out exactly what the product is, then SKY are likely to cut their ties; just like they did with the SGP.

I think it is great that Philip takes the time to come on the Forum. :approve:

100% agree with this statement.

(unless you disagree with me of course :shock: ) Only kidding Philip. :t:

NOT at all. There is no real EVIDENCE of a conspiracy re BV versus Poole but said (or at least meant to) that the way things paned out helped give credence to those who believe there was.

What I actually wrote was: It was all too much for the conspiracy theorists who believe that Poole boss Matt Ford has the ability to manipulate any situation to his own advantage. Of course, most of the comments (regarding BV v Poole) on the various social media outlets, including the BSF, are utter nonsense.

That was hardly a futile attack on the sports fans. However, I do think that there are posters on here who have their own agendas rather than just opinions and sometimes pre-judge many things that go on according to their own prejudices without any evidence to support their theories. I stand by that.

Matt Ford is a classic example. By many he is the Darth Vader of speedway and no matter what he does their judgement of him is coloured by that assessment. And of course this is why the bsf (wrongly in my view) is so reviled by so many.

I would never write anything on here that I wouldn't do so in Speedway Star or any publication for that matter. But I do read posts that if they appeared in print would probably be the subject of legal action.

I prefer to view the bsf as, on balance, a force for good but I don't kid myself that that is always the case. When posts become more than personal opinions and contain statements that are factually incorrect the bsf like Twitter, Facebook and so can do more harm than good.

But that's just my opinion...

Great post!! :t:

• Like 1

10 likes for Mr Rising's opinion. 1 like for Mr BWitcher's opion. Shows a small snapshot of the general opion, in my opion.

(Sorry if too many opions)

• Like 1

OKAY, what is the evidence is staring me in the face? And if I were you I would be very careful in the words you use. I very much doubt that you have any 'evidence' that would stand up in any court of law or arbitration panel.

You are just voicing your opinion not facts. You have your theories but not facts.

I am the last person to deny that the way British speedway is being governed is not detrimental to the sport and affects me personally in my capacity as Managing Editor of Speedway Star. Your last paragraph is spot on.

You generalise when you say I am taking a swipe at the fans. The vast majority of speedway fans have nothing to do with the bsf, let alone contribute to it. It is only your opinion that I am falsely saying that some are guilty of conspiracy theories and, yes, I am aware when some comments made here are factually incorrect because I am privvy to information that others are not.

• Like 1

Its quite simple.

What was different from the track in Heat 10 to the track in Heat 11? The answer is nothing.

The meeting was abandoned at that point because Poole were 7 up and that was the result that was needed. That is match fixing. I am not frightened to use those words as that is what happened on the night for everyone on tv to see.

Not only that but everyone KNEW it was going to happen. The commentators even predicted it.

You know, as well as I do had Poole only been 5 up another race would have been run.

Edited to add: We both agree that it wasn't a good night for speedway so we do have some common ground, there's little point us going round in circles again, it's all been covered on the other threads.

Let's get back to focusing on what is GOOD about the sport and enjoy the rest of the playoffs.

10 likes for Mr Rising's opinion. 1 like for Mr BWitcher's opion. Shows a small snapshot of the general opion, in my opion.

(Sorry if too many opions)

Empty terraces. Shows a far bigger snapshot of peoples opinon of the sport and the way it is run.

Plus 93 pages on the Belle Vue v Poole thread, the vast majoriy concurring with my opinion.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

EXACTLY ... your opinion. At last we agree.

Sigh.

NO.

The track was fit for racing at Heat 10 or the they would not have been racing. FACT

The track had not changed for Heat 11. FACT

The meeting was called off after 10 heats. FACT.

That is fixing a result. FACT

No opinions involved. That is what happened on the night and nobody can dispute it... because it is FACT. Your refusal to acknowledge that does you a great disservice.

• Like 1