British Speedway Forum
coomie

Somerset V Rye House Ko Cup Final 27/9

Missed the last two matches due to holidays and disappointed on my return to see that Nelson, Davies and Morris will be missing the KOC final due to more important commitments in the Under 21 World Cup Final, once again speedway shoots itself in the foot. Perhaps someone can kindly tell us if any riders will be missing for the Premier Play Off matches.

I assume riders had already signed up for the Under 21 World Cup when they signed for Somerset and Rye House at the start of the season, if not they should have been given a contract which states they cannot miss matches for the team they have signed for.

This season we have had Somerset missing out on winning the 4TT due to Doyle’s absence as he was riding in the World Cup.

In the important match against Ipswich to decide who finished top of the League, we had both teams number ones missing, Doyle and Barker and also Morris due to Elite commitments based on a rule which should have been opposed by the Premier League promoters at the AGM, I cannot believe they could not foresee the problems it would raise.

Surely the “Sam Masters rule” applies here regarding riders missing crucial matches.

What happens if the Czech Final is postponed on the day due to rain? Will it be re run the following Saturday so that riders are missing in the Play Off match against Redcar?

When I attend speedway I expect to see the riders of the teams advertised, (barring injuries) I’m not interested in the rules or what problems this involves, that’s the problem of the people putting on the entertainment, I’m just a customer and I pay my money and I expect the product I am paying for. It’s bad enough having riders missing through injury and the hated R/R, but to have riders missing due to rules agreed by promoters is a joke.

When teams are announced at the start of the season the riders names should be listed but at the end of the names should be printed the caveat, “When available”.

Somerset say they did not want to use this Friday for the match as they knew riders would be absent but were forced to do so, but did they have to race on the Friday? They have used other days for matches this season and I can only assume that their number of mid week matches they are allowed has been used up, or that Rye for some unknown reason could only visit on a Friday. However Somerset had three blank weeks when no matches took place w/e Fridays 26th April, 24th May and 12 July and surely this is the reason, along with a badly planned fixture list by the BSPA that teams are trying to fit matches in at the last minute. I’m not blaming Somerset they are the victims of the amateur way the sport is run.

If riders are to be allowed to ride in all these extra meetings and double up, then the fixture list needs to be drastically changed. Get rid of the Premier Trophy and KOC, two events which drag on all season, and then have many more blank weeks, so teams can then be more flexible and arrange fixtures to avoid clashes. I realise that if you have a good summer, you may finish your fixtures in September, but surely fans would prefer to see finals in September than on a freezing cold, late October night.

Having said all that you will not be surprised that my friend and me will be absent this Friday evening, and I shall be watching TV and the lovely Susanna Reid perform the jive on Strictly, a much more attractive proposition than watching Nicolai Klindt.

cant argue with that.

cant argue with that.

Well you could but it would have to be an extremely long one! :lol:

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why match could not have been held on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week when only National League taking place, must be a reason, at least I've got some support to my post. Hope Rebels get a good lead to take to Rye for the fans sake.

Pretty much as I expected. Started off well enough, but battered out of sight for the last two thirds of the meeting. What a way to end a season.

Only surprise was the low turnout. If you can't fill a stadium with an all conquering winning team what can you do? It had crossed my mind that Somerset crowds must be swelled by holidaymakers during the summer months, because there seemed to be more there for the league meeting with Rye earlier in the year.

Anyway, our season is over now. Roll on next March

Edited by Shadders

Taken from Rye House website

As promoter Len Silver admitted afterwards, “We missed (U-21 World Cup-bound) Tyson Nelson immensely – we could only cover Rider-Replacement with two team men and two reserves, while they could use all their top men to cover for Nick Morris – while the rules decree that we could only use a National League guest to step in for the permanently missing Jason Garrity.

.Why have we got the permently missing Garrity in our team ?

Why did we redeclare with Garrity back in the team would Bowen have been a better bet?

Old timer is right though... Two of your top four missing for a play off meet? Its farcial.

People wonder why fans are being driven away at an alarming rate and one of the main reasons is the fact that riders are missing all the time.

I personally would like to see one month designated to all FIM events except the GPS... All these under 21 meetings during the season play havoc with fixture lists and rider line ups in both leagues.

Its not fair to expect someone to pay full price admission to not see their full strength time and no matter whats said its a main reason for dwindling crowds.

I agree Oldtimer is right missing riders throughout the season just p*ss a lot of fans off.The argument that your still seeing 4 riders doing 4 laps is not working its time the Promoters got this situation under control.

Why have we got the permently missing Garrity in our team ?

Why did we redeclare with Garrity back in the team would Bowen have been a better bet?

A balls up from start to finish. Jason was telling everyone he'd be "back in a couple of weeks" while still hobbling around on crutches 2 months ago and the fools believed him.

• Like 2

Prefer to be positive, great performance from Somerset tonight, best ever season so far with maybe more to come. I am really looking forward to going to Rye next week to see us clinch the trophy. Hoping all my mates from the OTA will be there.

Prefer to be positive, great performance from Somerset tonight, best ever season so far with maybe more to come. I am really looking forward to going to Rye next week to see us clinch the trophy. Hoping all my mates from the OTA will be there.

You should enjoy your day out. Hope as many travel as possibly can. You never know when the good times will end, so enjoy it while it lasts.

Edited by Shadders
  • Like 1

A good win by the Rebels tonight, and good to see Josh scoring well, hope he brings that game to poole on Monday.

Doyley was his usual self, and good to see Nicolai Klindt ride particulary well. But its the first time ive been able to watch Charles Wright, and i was suitably impressed, on that average im sure Garry will be thinking long and hard for next season! i still say Kyle Newman is open to better, but on his average i really can't think of anybody better

Nice to meet TinyTim Rebel selling Raffle Tickets in aid of the fence fund. If i win anything mate let me know via here!! :D

Mate i looked for you in the clubhouse after the meeting but you must had shot on?

After the Auction it was good to hear their fund is rising well.. So the Rebels take a decent lead to the second leg, and if, they take a full 1-7 i can't really see them letting it slip.

Pretty much as I expected. Started off well enough, but battered out of sight for the last two thirds of the meeting. What a way to end a season.

Only surprise was the low turnout. If you can't fill a stadium with an all conquering winning team what can you do? It had crossed my mind that Somerset crowds must be swelled by holidaymakers during the summer months, because there seemed to be more there for the league meeting with Rye earlier in the year.

Anyway, our season is over now. Roll on next March

Low turnout was probably due to Plymouth being packed out for the Exeter Challenge match!! Something definitely wrong when a Cup Final doesn't attract anyone, what's happened to the old OTA track where the racing was the best in the country? Now just another slick fest, not the most attractive opposition, but you can only beat what's in front of you.

Low turnout was probably due to Plymouth being packed out for the Exeter Challenge match!! Something definitely wrong when a Cup Final doesn't attract anyone, what's happened to the old OTA track where the racing was the best in the country? Now just another slick fest, not the most attractive opposition, but you can only beat what's in front of you.

Not so sure you and I have been watching the same speedway at the OTA Lord Skid. The racing has been superb in the matches I have attended this season. Many different racing lines and many fantastic passes. The regular Rebels fans will probably say the racing isn't as good as it was, but I for one haven't noticed any difference in the years I have been coming. Doyley, Nick Morris, Kyle Newman and Alex Davies have been scintillating to watch this year on what I still say is the best track in England.

• Like 1

Not so sure you and I have been watching the same speedway at the OTA Lord Skid. The racing has been superb in the matches I have attended this season. Many different racing lines and many fantastic passes. The regular Rebels fans will probably say the racing isn't as good as it was, but I for one haven't noticed any difference in the years I have been coming. Doyley, Nick Morris, Kyle Newman and Alex Davies have been scintillating to watch this year on what I still say is the best track in England.

Totally agree

Thought last nights Ht15 was awesome don't think Allen new what was happening when the Rebels shot past him.

OT hope you enjoyed "Strickly" but you missed a good one.

Edited by idh
  • Like 1

A pity there was a low turnout, as already stated some may have gone to Plymouth, but some may have stayed away for same reasons I did. A good win by Rebels, and KOC looks in the bag. Klindt scored better than I anticipated and R/R scored well. When Susanna Reid did a handstand with her legs in the air, I quickly had to reach for my blood pressure tablets. :P

A pity there was a low turnout, as already stated some may have gone to Plymouth, but some may have stayed away for same reasons I did. A good win by Rebels, and KOC looks in the bag. Klindt scored better than I anticipated and R/R scored well. When Susanna Reid did a handstand with her legs in the air, I quickly had to reach for my blood pressure tablets. :P

The initial tallying up of numbers through the gate would indicate that it was not a poor turn-out, so it would appear that not many shared your views on reasons as to why they should not have attended the match.

Edited by Statman
  • Like 1