British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Newcastle V Ipswich League Cup Final 2nd Leg Sunday 29/09/13

Congrats to Newcastle, but I'm sure you would rather it was won against a full Ipswich team. Shame it ruined what could have been a classic.

Been out all night only to find a horrible night for Witches. 2 heat leaders injured, Hope both Ben & Leigh not too badly injured.

Luck has deserted the team...

Never known Leigh to fall off (when in the lead) for no (apparent) reason in all the years I've been watching him, then he does it twice in 4 days. Just one of those nights/weekends. We left after heat 10, it was when they decided to have ANOTHER interval, we'd already had 2 lengthy ones, plus lots of shorter ones with 2 on the trot. Ipswich scrub the interval when the meeting is dragging on, I thought all clubs would have the common sense to do the same, but not our friends from tha toon.

• Like 3

Never known Leigh to fall off (when in the lead) for no (apparent) reason in all the years I've been watching him, then he does it twice in 4 days. Just one of those nights/weekends. We left after heat 10, it was when they decided to have ANOTHER interval, we'd already had 2 lengthy ones, plus lots of shorter ones with 2 on the trot. Ipswich scrub the interval when the meeting is dragging on, I thought all clubs would have the common sense to do the same, but not our friends from tha toon.

yip it's ridiculous I agree.... We were saying exactly the same.
  • Like 1

Felt desperately sad for Ipswich. Much as I wanted the Diamonds to win the trophy (and goodness knows they deserve one after coping with 3 major injuries this season) this was not the way anyone would have wanted it to happen.

I didn't see what happened to Leigh as I was watching the two Diamonds going for a big outside blast but I first thought he must have had a mechanical failure, so rarely does he fall off on his own. Ben Barker on the other hand was all a bit 'Kenni Larsen' for us Diamonds fans. He made a mess of the second bend and was passed by the two Diamonds but then felt he needed to pass them both going into the third bend. Does he not realise there are four laps in a race? Anyhow, went in far too hot and had to bail out. Best wishes and speedy recovery for both guys.

Risager had a go and it was probably the best I have seen him around Brough Park but it really was a lost cause.

Congratulations for the Diamonds. Look at it as a deserved reward for the season, not for this match.

PS - for those taking the mickey out of Benji Compton, did you not see how slow his bike was? He was giving away a good 10mph down the straights. He must have been horrified to be passed by a previously fallen rider but come on, he's a better rider than that.

• Like 2

Congrats to Newcastle , but agree with their fans, took the edge of winning to a depleted team gave up on the updates half way through not good to watch . Ipswich suffered terrible luck over 2 nights , hope Tungate,Barker, Lanham have speedy recoveries, speedway can be so cruel sometimes.

• Like 3

The two crashes came about without a Newcastle rider being involved. Heat 3 Leigh locked up in the lead and Cameron hit him. Heeps was pretty close to Lanham so maybe he didn't have time to lay down safely. Ipswich were looking good in the heat. Lanham was excluded and we later heard he was away to a Newcastle hospital. Heat 5 Ben went wide on turn two leaving a gap for Ludvig and Andrew to come hurtling through on the inside, Ben was quite fast down the straight and was likely attempting an outside blast around the 2 diamonds, but he came to grief on his own at the 3rd bend. Ipswich (Ben Barker) was going well at the time of his accident. Barker joined his teammate Leigh at the Newcastle hospital. With Ipswich reduced to Cameron Heeps, Morten Risegar and Ritchie Hawkins the match ground out less than entertaining with the Diamonds winning the cup

A real shame as it might have been a very exciting finish had Lanham & Barker not crashed out. Great to win but it felt a very hollow victory and above all we were denied a potentially dramatic climax.

Not sure why this final, which is an early season competition, is being held at the end of the season. It needs to be held straight after the semi-finals so the two teams that actually qualified can ride against each other and not what's left of those sides at the season end.

Despite optimistic noices from the riders I can't see us getting anything other than thumped at Somerset but nice to have a deserved trophy in the cabinet.

Also agree about the interval. After the two crashes there was surely no need.

A real shame as it might have been a very exciting finish had Lanham & Barker not crashed out. Great to win but it felt a very hollow victory and above all we were denied a potentially dramatic climax.

Not sure why this final, which is an early season competition, is being held at the end of the season. It needs to be held straight after the semi-finals so the two teams that actually qualified can ride against each other and not what's left of those sides at the season end.

Despite optimistic noices from the riders I can't see us getting anything other than thumped at Somerset but nice to have a deserved trophy in the cabinet.

Also agree about the interval. After the two crashes there was surely no need.

The interval is for the track staff and our medics + St John ambulance personnel to go to toilets drink coffee etc. The fans can do that at any time but those on the track cannot

• Like 1

Why? It was embarassing to be honest! For Andrew Tully to fall off end up half a lap behind Compton then to get up back on his bike and pass Compton again was truly embarassing. How long has Compton been using speedway as a hobby now? He's never improved.... Got worse if anything and he was tailed off by miles in all of his rides.

Congratulations to Newcastle, although unfortunately the meeting became a non contest when Lanham & Barker had to withdraw hope they are both ok.

Why? It was embarassing to be honest! For Andrew Tully to fall off end up half a lap behind Compton then to get up back on his bike and pass Compton again was truly embarassing. How long has Compton been using speedway as a hobby now? He's never improved.... Got worse if anything and he was tailed off by miles in all of his rides.

Congratulations to Newcastle, although unfortunately the meeting became a non contest when Lanham & Barker had to withdraw hope they are both ok.

Didn't see you out their trying. Some people just don't have the skill that others do.

The interval is for the track staff and our medics + St John ambulance personnel to go to toilets drink coffee etc. The fans can do that at any time but those on the track cannot

Then how is it that a lot of other tracks don't have intervals ?

I also saw the tea lady taking a tray of drinks out to the centre green at one point.

Intervals are absolutely unnecessary and just leave punters standing around (often in the cold) for no reason at all.

Situations like last night just serve to annoy everyone.

What night but the result was not what we wanted. It's great when your team wins some silverware, but it's a bit of a hollow feeling when it is gifted through another team's misfortune through injuries. I think Ippy could have coped without Tungay but first Lanham then Barker's injuries made it an impossible task. Lanham appeared to have a dislocated shoulder, but it possibly was broken. Barker had told Leigh that they would do it for him, but then wiped himself out with a s**t or bust burst around the 3rd/4th bends, and lost it, breaking his knuckles in the process. Still wanted to continue, but ruled out by medics. Said he would be riding on Thursday, but I did not hear how he got on at our hospital last night. I think Ippy will need a facility myself. As it was, after a great win for Barker in heat 1, and making the required advantage then 15 points, we turned on the screws with some great rides to outpace Ippy's other riders and the mathematical requirement was reached in heat 13 after a second 5-1.Ippy reserves must have been knackered, each taking 7 rides, Hawkins wasn't bad, but Benji had no speed from a slow engine. A sad way to end this comp and certainly not the manner that the Diamonds fans wanted. Sad for Ippy fans like Badge, London Witch and of course Sue, and also their travelling fans who had seen a cracking evenings racing at Worky the previous night. Spoke to two guys in the carpark well after the meeting had finished, and the bar was emptying, but they were very philosophical about the events over the weekend, and I hope they had still enjoyed their time up North, and especially being with us Geordies.

There were encouraging performances from ALL our riders and I think that last weeks Redcar performance can now be firmly put to bed, Great to see.

I have taken up the subject of the interval after the many necessary breaks in the meeting. Not needed, too many breaks and it used up the time saved by us having in attendance 3 Doctors, 3 Ambulances as well as the Parameds, who some with the first aiders. I would personally doubt why we even have an interval at any meeting, even on a hot evening and not using RR, which we have had to use for practically all year with first Andrew, then Christian then Robbo out. We had those injuries spread out during the year, and easily covered, unfortunately Ippy's all come in one weekend.

Talking of injuries, the two Ippy fans might have stayed behind to watch the suffering of first Bash, Lewis's mechanic, leg wax, and the chest waxes of Chris and Richie. Raised a tidy sum with sponsorships and donations all in aid of the Air Fence fund. A few hundred is my guess, with Andrew Hogg getting £100 personal sponsorship although they ran out of time , so his wax might have to be done this week.

Prior to the meeting, the club received £1k from the track Doctors, £0.4k from another group of sponsors and £1k from last night's meeting sponsor(maintenance NETWORK ltd). Next Sunday could see another big cheque being presented but I won't spoil it, you will just have to wait and see. We are getting there, just needs another boost and we will be well on our way having passed the halfway mark a few weeks ago. Why not stop the tabs, get heathier yourself and help the health of the riders.

Decent crowd, like a Playoffs crowd :P , including HalifaxTiger, who stood with me at Redcar, but tonight he saw a Brough win and the first team silverware decided. Thanks for your company.

• Like 4