British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PHILIPRISING

Swedes Off The Mark

It's just that some promoters are more equal than others (adapted from George Orwell's Animal Farm) :wink:

Nice try Steve0 - but it still doesn't give them more than one vote each - even the pigs!! :wink:

Edited by Skidder1

Nice try Steve0 - but it still doesn't give them more than one vote each - even the pigs!! :wink:

What about the currency of bricks? :wink:

I'd love to see someone challenge the asset system in the courts.

It's only a couple of teams, maybe only one, that spoke out against the asset system per se last year so why would someone challenge it in court? Very costly and no guarantee of winning.

SKY have seen the light & will not be showing league speedway next year they would prefer to show netball ,clay pidgeon shooting or anything other than the sport which has riders who put there lives on the line , fans who put up with crap facilities , sky high prices & promoters/owners who seem content with the sport going down the pan.

Sky have made no decision about the Elite League.

They will analyse the viewing figures for the play-off matches before making a firm decision.

So everybody tune in!

Sky don't like dealing with the BSI who over-value their product and now they have ended up with a small financial deal with Eurosport due to their arrogance.

So don't listen to Phillip Rising's brainwashing propaganda, Sky care about Speedway and I'm pretty sure they will renew.

It's only a couple of teams, maybe only one, that spoke out against the asset system per se last year so why would someone challenge it in court? Very costly and no guarantee of winning.

It could be a rider who challenges - like Bosman did in the football world. I'm sure that a self-employed person, like a speedway rider, would win the case.

I APPLAUD your optimism but no one from Sky has even been prepared to talk about it... shades of how they dealt with the SGP contract last winter.

So of course the BSPA are talking to BT Sport?

Regardless of Sky filming next season or not, the sport should run as a business and be cost effective and no longer can speedway in Brtain afford to have so many big names in one team and should be scaled down next year.

Personally I would like to see the points limit reduced to 35 points and any rider that doesn't start the 2014 season will have 10% added to their previous average to stop riders coming in at a later date on a false average. Wolverhampton for example would start with a team something like Tai Woffinden 9.23, Ty Proctor 5.78, Ricky Wells 5.37, Ludvig Lindgren 4.42, Jacob Thorssell 4.41, Pontus Aspgren 3.15 and Ashley Morris 2.36. (British rider can go as low as 2.00 while foreign riders cant go below 3.00.)

There will still be 90 points on offer each meeting and a number of riders will improve their averages, but instead of paying another superstar a four figure sum, the others should score more and pick up more money, but the wage bill should be cut to a more realistic figure and more palces would be available for riders to move up from the lower divisions.

Leicester could be moving up and there are a few other tracks that may move up if there was a 35 point limit like Edinburgh who would keep Craig Cook and be able to make them competative simply by signing one or two current EL riders while teams in the PL would still be able to have riders doubling up, but would have more spaces open for National League riders to move up.

Should SKY want to carry on, then tracks should then run at a profit and part of this should then go to safety improvements, stadium improvements, and the resources to help young riders break into the sport with some sort of academy for future years.

• Like 1

I think an answer has already been given for this - by Tsunami I think - on another thread!!? Its to do with 'final accounts' for all clubs being available and approved! Not sure I totally agree with that, as I know of many 'national associations' that are membership-driven, that use 'projected' final figures at their AGM, which can then be adjusted slightly if necessary afterwards! I guess one of the big problems is how much the BSPA funds have had to be used to 'bail-out' clubs (or keep them going) and what the chances are of those funds being topped up again?! This is clearly being clouded by the additional uncertainty over the Sky contract/monies!!!

I don't think that can be the case. That would pre-suppose all the clubs year/ends were at the same time and I know for a fact that they aren't so having final up to date accounts would be meaningless.

Regardless of Sky filming next season or not, the sport should run as a business and be cost effective and no longer can speedway in Brtain afford to have so many big names in one team and should be scaled down next year.

Personally I would like to see the points limit reduced to 35 points and any rider that doesn't start the 2014 season will have 10% added to their previous average to stop riders coming in at a later date on a false average. Wolverhampton for example would start with a team something like Tai Woffinden 9.23, Ty Proctor 5.78, Ricky Wells 5.37, Ludvig Lindgren 4.42, Jacob Thorssell 4.41, Pontus Aspgren 3.15 and Ashley Morris 2.36. (British rider can go as low as 2.00 while foreign riders cant go below 3.00.)

There will still be 90 points on offer each meeting and a number of riders will improve their averages, but instead of paying another superstar a four figure sum, the others should score more and pick up more money, but the wage bill should be cut to a more realistic figure and more palces would be available for riders to move up from the lower divisions.

Leicester could be moving up and there are a few other tracks that may move up if there was a 35 point limit like Edinburgh who would keep Craig Cook and be able to make them competative simply by signing one or two current EL riders while teams in the PL would still be able to have riders doubling up, but would have more spaces open for National League riders to move up.

Should SKY want to carry on, then tracks should then run at a profit and part of this should then go to safety improvements, stadium improvements, and the resources to help young riders break into the sport with some sort of academy for future years.

So what would your solution be for the following year (2015), when all these riders have vastly inflated averages??

• Like 2

So what would your solution be for the following year (2015), when all these riders have vastly inflated averages??

Exactly, this has been the problem each time the team limit has been reduced. Riders improve their average because of the weaker league and possibly put themselves out of a job. The increase in rider average could be dealt with if more teams join the EL and the top average riders can be spread around, but this is where the supporters get fed up with their team changing every year.
  • Like 1

SEE that Swedish clubs are already formulating their 2014 teams with Darcy Ward to champions Piraterna just one example. Why oh why can't we get things sorted that quickly here?

You have to have in mind that our season is already over but you are still only half way through the semi finals.

And besides its only a few teams that really have signed more then just a rider or two.

Edited by Ghostwalker

MANY people now convinced that lack of communication from Sky is their answer. One Sky insider said "we tend to run down contracts we are not renewing and simply walk away."

They never actually told BSI/IMG that they were not renewing in as many words. Their actions spoke volumes and appear to be doing the same right now.

I thought you kept going on about the door not being closed on Sky showing the GPs right up until the end as if you had some inside info that a deal was being considered.Just needed a few details worked out.???? Now you are sort of saying the opposite.But i do agree that things should be sorted out earlier.Traditionally though GB is at the end of the food chain and do things last minute.Quite often it has been the case that new teams were being announced a month or two before the season started or maybe my memory is going

I KNOW Go Speed are going down the same route as BSI/IMG last winter ... knocking on the Sky door but getting no answers. Usually that means the people behind the door simply hope you give up and go away.

BT? Doubt it right now because they and others simply don't rate the product very highly. Sad but true.

That is not true.

If you really think that promoters haven't already looked at 'draft' proposals for next year, then you are really barking right up the wrong tree. Its what the BSPA pre-AGM is for - aside from the MC meetings. That's where the rumours of a better fixture list have come from - from 3 or 4 different Promoter sources! One of the problems will be getting all the proposals voted in at the AGM, as all EL and PL clubs have one equal vote each!

If what you say is right about draft proposals having been made then all well and good, my mind was open on the question. Hope the phrase "one equal vote each" is true in all senses. As long as the proposals are all based on zero TV income, there's some hope of a realistic plan being agreed. But will they all take the realistic line, or will one or two harbour more grandoise (and unrealistic for the majority) aspirations and try to go in a different direction?

That is not true.

Based on............???