British Speedway Forum
stansolo

Unforgettable Speedway Names

On the issue of the tallest how about Reg Fearman (wasn't he reputed to be over 6 foot ?) or Arch Windmill ?

What about Graham Miles? :unsure:

Karl Denver was a Scotsman i believe.

His real name being Angus Murdo McKenzie that's only to be expected, Topcat :)

Seriously, he was neighbour of mine when he was a rider so I spoke to him on a number of occasions - without the aid of an interpreter though :D

Norbold, I am here never fear and perusing these posts with interest!!BTW does anyone recall Karl Denver the singer(Wimoweh etc etc)

BTW does anyone recall Karl Denver the singer(Wimoweh etc etc)

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw his name posted above.

I always think of Max Bygraves,Val Doonican,Variety shows,Jessie Matthews,people who use bed posts as instruments,people who bash themselves over the head with trays,dancers in flesh coloured tights and spangly outfits,Topogigio,Max Wall,Peter Osgood,Harry Secombe and radio comedy shows where everyone has a northern accent......whenever i see the name Karl Denver.Never speedway :unsure: Maybe i need help with that :neutral:

Norbold, I am here never fear and perusing these posts with interest!!BTW does anyone recall Karl Denver the singer(Wimoweh etc etc)

etc etc??? You mean he had more than ONE hit? :unsure:

And there's me thinking that his Greatest Hits album contained 14 versions of Wimoweh (the original, instrumental, re-mix, extended re-mix, backwards, etc)

Karl Denver-other hits included Marcheta, Indian Love Call,Mexicali Rose, Never Goodbye all in 62-63-learn such interesting stuff on this website dontcha-I think I'll see if I can find anything on youtube on him!!!!!Also to IRIS123 mentioning flesh coloured tights and spangly outfits-leave my mum out of this please!!

I'm going for it...

I believe Harry Huntly must be the tallest ever rider.

6ft 8in - beat that !

I have details if there's any arguing :P

Flesh coloured anything reminds me of Putt Mossman above anything else

What a great character Putt Mossman was. Besides being a speedway rider - of some repute, he also took part in road racing, midget car racing and of course for many years ran his renowned motorcycle stunt team.

Edited by speedyguy

I'm going for it...

I believe Harry Huntly must be the tallest ever rider.

6ft 8in - beat that !

I have details if there's any arguing :P

Poor Graham Miles! Where did/does Harry Huntly ride?