British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Newcastle V Somerset Play Offs Sunday 13th October 2013

Somerset are by all that is fair and honest LEAGUE CHAMPIONS now in my book. I would say that even if the 'Diamonds' had WON the 'Play Offs'. Somerset are now heading for the Double - League Champions AND 'Play Off' Champions.

I am thinking (only thinking at the moment) of giving Speedway a miss next year after last night's Meeting - this (so called) Tactical Ride, Double Points is really getting to me. Once again I left the Meeting angry and upset about the injustice of it all. I am sorry but I cannot see where this ridiculous Rule benefits our Sport at all. I love my Speedway, to see four Riders hurtling around a relatively small Track is very exciting and invigorating. I also like to support a Team and see Fair Play - it's the way I was brought up. Presently the Sport is NOT Fair by any stretch of the imagination, it is, as I have said on here many times, contrived.

I DON'T SEE WHY I SHOULD PAY GOOD MONEY TO GET ANGRY AND UPSET!!!!

exactly,,, if it were me, not sure I'd be there me self,,, through me season ticket in at 'St.James', and tbh,,, don't even know when or who they play these days,,,

with regards the TR,,, I see the benefit, it can keep matches close, but also, quite often at Newcastle, they play staright into it ,,, and in this case, ride for the 3-3 in the race before, thus not giving 'the class above' Doyle the chance of double points,,, does actually anybody in the management think of it,,, I mean, it took Richie so long to pass Alex Davies, he could have easily sat at the back and protected Newcastle from Doyle being allowed the TR option !!! ,,, now that's ffffing frustrating,,, look ahead...

But anyway,,, 'The Rebels' ain't there yet, and might not, and if not, they WON'T be champions, just piddly league winners (which counts for nowt),,, simple, lol

• Like 1

with regards the TR,,, I see the benefit, it can keep matches close, but also, quite often at Newcastle, they play staright into it ,,, and in this case, ride for the 3-3 in the race before, thus not giving 'the class above' Doyle the chance of double points,,, does actually anybody in the management think of it,,, I mean, it took Richie so long to pass Alex Davies, he could have easily sat at the back and protected Newcastle from Doyle being allowed the TR option !!! ,,, now that's ffffing frustrating,,, look ahead...

I detest the TR, especially in a short series of matches like the Playoff groups. In the league you can justify it to some extent by saying everyone gets a shot at some stage, however in the Playoffs Somerset have had an extra 3 points which were not available to Newcastle - simply because of how BADLY they did in the early stages.

That 3 points could yet decide the group.

I know some fans like their teams to try to avoid the TR but in effect you are giving up points and should not even have to think about anything other than doing the best you can. If Newcastle had ridden for a 3-3 rather than a 4-2, they lose two points but avoid losing 3, an overall gain of 1.

Great result for the Diamonds last night in a hard fought match between two very good sides, with riders from both sides having off nights. As people have said, our Play Off Final hopes are in the hands of the Bears now. Nice constructive criticism of Newcastle's track last night by Morris, with further comments by Holder and Rosco. NOT!!!!

Poor night for ref Phil Griffin. Three questionable "all 4 backs", Doyle(2), Worrall(1), stopping a race after half a lap for an unsatisfactory start. Letting the tapes go up instead of pressing the green light, not to mention a lengthy phone call from George English, I don't think it was about the weather.

Robert Lambert impressed in his laps after the meeting. I for one would love to see him here next season.

Not alot of mention of the 2 or 3 great races last night... Lindgren in 3, Kerr in 8 and Tully in 12!

The TR was a big blow and again I agree it may have merit in a league of 20+ matches but in a Play Off or Knock Out situation it is a bit of a mockery and as has been said punishes good performance.

Taking 3 pts against Somerset is no mean feat, but it's a shame the Diamonds lost it in the 2 away matches where we should have been taking a point or 2.

Also as a novice I couldn't understand all four riders re-starting a couple of heats, Newcastle were on to a 5-1 already in heat 1, Doyle seemed to go down under no opposition pressure whatsoever, ditto Worrall later on.

All in all a good night I thought, doubt we'll see half the excitement on Sky tonight.

Great result for the Diamonds last night in a hard fought match between two very good sides, with riders from both sides having off nights. As people have said, our Play Off Final hopes are in the hands of the Bears now. Nice constructive criticism of Newcastle's track last night by Morris, with further comments by Holder and Rosco. NOT!!!!

Love the Leicester start marshall caliing it the worst track in the PL? Lol. Still bitter cause we ended there play off hopes lol

Nice constructive criticism of Newcastle's track last night by Morris, with further comments by Holder and Rosco. NOT!!!!

What was said???

What was said???

(Happy I don't have to go to Newcastle again this season! Buck wild track - Morris) (good to know it hasn't got any better since 07 - Holder) (No different in the 90's :-) Rossiter) (it's impossible to be a nice track, ever! - Morris) (surely it's the worst track in the PL?!? - Leicester start marshall)

Perhaps if young Morris had learned that the throttle goes both ways he may not have come such a cropper.

And as for Alun Rossiter. The fact he was crap might have something to do with his opinions. We used the put the fence builders on overtime when he turned up.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 1

(Happy I don't have to go to Newcastle again this season! Buck wild track - Morris) (good to know it hasn't got any better since 07 - Holder) (No different in the 90's :-) Rossiter) (it's impossible to be a nice track, ever! - Morris) (surely it's the worst track in the PL?!? - Leicester start marshall)

Usual stuff then :wink:

Great nights racing last night between two very competitive teams. Fortunately the weather forecasts changed completely overnight and the rain midday benefited the track. Best meeting of the year for me, with some cracking hairy overtaking which was a credit to all riders. How many times did riders fly around the outside and squeeze through gaps, which the other riders had fairly left. Track very slimy at the start(2 hours of rain at lunchtime and a lot of hosing just before the meeting) and noticeable the amount of snaking out of the gates, which primarily was the root cause of the subsequent tumbles at the first bend IMO. Doyle is a class act as well as being a class performer at EL level. Richie has made great strides in a short period, but meetings like this, and also against Cookie, show that he has some distance to go yet to catch up with them. Anybody think is bikes are slower recently ? Unusual collision with the fence by Anton which fortunately he stayed on for second place and suffered no injury.. A bit like Morris, who surprised everyone to get up after ramming the fence coming out of the 4th bend, after trying to win the race all in one corner. He should use all the 4 laps, as it really was crazy to try such a big blast. around the outside. Once again a cracking performance from Lewis, he just gets better each week and never seems to fail in key races, a bit like a seasoned pro. Excitement and tension throughout the meeting, with the Diamonds just ahead with the threat of TR's a real factor. Fortunately only one opportunity for a TR though Doyle which was made worse when Chis could not get ahead of Kyle. Morris's tumble and exclusion in heat 13 steadied things for us, with also two 4-2's either side of it. Then onto heat 15 where a 1-5 to the Rebels would give them a point, and us out of contention for the final. Thought Morris would have been given the chance as he was fastest and raw, whilst Josh was not really on song and looked slower. Rosen's safe second place sealed it for us and we had the three points. Now onto Thursday for either a rainoff, a Rebels win or hopefully a Redcar win by 21 points. Going on Thursday to make sure Redcar don't hoy this one. Nice neighbours. :t:

Nice to see Robert Lambert ride in the second half. Big lad for a 15/16 year old, but has a nice sideon style, which made him have a slideoff on the first bend. With more practice he would soon master our track, especially if he was travelling with and riding with his big make Lewis next year. Hint Hint.

As Bernt Persson has already said, good banter and fair craic with the Rebels fans, which included Bernt Persson, Pirate Nick and the other quiet ones that were with them. Thanks for the company and the informed comments. Nice also to meet once again Keith, Kyle and Jade after Kyle's spell with us a couple of years ago. Don't forget it's "Bulldog" Newman in future.

So, if that's the last fixture of the year for us Diamonds, it's fair to say it was a cracking meeting to close on. Roll on 2014 with the airfence and the new team.

Incidently, the Auction after the meeting in the bar was a huge success, and I would advise you to look out for the cheque presentation, which is likely to be at the DInner Dance on Saturday 2nd November, as usual at the prestigious venue the Old Assembly Rooms. Tickets @ £27 and well worth the scran and the dancing, Be there.

Poor night for ref Phil Griffin. Three questionable "all 4 backs", Doyle(2), Worrall(1), stopping a race after half a lap for an unsatisfactory start. Letting the tapes go up instead of pressing the green light, not to mention a lengthy phone call from George English, I don't think it was about the weather.

Robert Lambert impressed in his laps after the meeting. I for one would love to see him here next season.

Phil Griffin is a Southern referee who I believe has just moved up to Manchester. Probably be seeing him more next year, but he might have to learn a bit of Geordie to operate our switchboard. "Up", "Stop" "Oot" and "2mins".

For those of us who can't make the dinner dance, when will the total raised at the auction be announced?

For those of us who can't make the dinner dance, when will the total raised at the auction be announced?

Likely to be at the Dinner Dance and an announcement afterwards.

Edited by Tsunami

Well done somerset, be a travesty if they don't win the thing after topping the league... Saying that though, they should be sweeping all before them given their top 5 who can score 46 points between them at most tracks... Throw in Charlie wrights form lately then it's theirs to lose.

Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up ... The likes of cook and Doyle are just far too good for the PL, and Edinburgh and worky are lucky to have them.... It's no surprise these 2 teams will contest the final IMO.

Well done somerset, be a travesty if they don't win the thing after topping the league... Saying that though, they should be sweeping all before them given their top 5 who can score 46 points between them at most tracks... Throw in Charlie wrights form lately then it's theirs to lose.

Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up ... The likes of cook and Doyle are just far too good for the PL, and Edinburgh and worky are lucky to have them.... It's no surprise these 2 teams will contest the final IMO.

SOMERSET