British Speedway Forum

Yet again who said it's a given that it will save money ? it depends on how the crowds pan out Swindon as well as many other clubs may well go under because of this rule .

For some reason people have got into this mind set that the same amount of fans are going to turn paying the same amount of money for a poorer product . The bottom line no matter how you dress it up part of this rule was brought in to help Brits and this rule has no doubt cost Birks a team place .

Whether it actually saves money remains to be seen and as you say, depending on how the crowds pan out.

The point is that Swindon knew that changes were coming , they were involved in the AGM so, if true, it is basically yet another case of a promotion offering a job and then reneging on their promise. Swindon are not the first club to do this and probably won't be the last.

Whether it actually saves money remains to be seen and as you say, depending on how the crowds pan out.

The point is that Swindon knew that changes were coming , they were involved in the AGM so, if true, it is basically yet another case of a promotion offering a job and then reneging on their promise. Swindon are not the first club to do this and probably won't be the last.

No the point is this rule has cost Birks a place in the El as without the rule none of what happen with Rosco and Birks would have taken place .

Thou am not a fan of this kind of rule it should still have been done better rather than this rushed and poorly thought out attempt .

Edited by orion

I feel for Ashley as he really sticks out as the British rider who has been shafted by the new rules imposed in both leagues & that surely can't be right.

Yes Swindon were obviously expecting Simon to be retained by Eastbourne so were going for another rider & Ash & obviously that changed but Rosco has to what is right for his speedway club & it would've been crazy not to use the points limit.

I just hope Ash gets himself fit & back on a bike because the easiest thing would be to say "sod this" & pack it all in.

• Like 2

No the point is this rule has cost Birks a place in the El as without the rule none of what happen with Rosco and Birks would have taken place .

Thou am not a fan of this kind of rule it should still have been done better rather than this rushed and poorly thought out attempt .

Yes, but Rosco and his promotion were part of the decision making process that brought the rule in. As to the second line of your post I think most people would agree that out of all the young British riders Ashley probably has a better case than any one for some kind of special attention or help, considering that at this time last year he was fairly close to Richie Worralls standard at the time, now there is a big difference so one thing that probably wasn't thought out was what to do with riders like him.

Its a pity to be getting young riders through the front door and then possibly losing riders like Ashley out the back door. I think everyone agrees on that.

• Like 1

His average would fit for Bellevue's final place. Unfortunate for Birksy but coming back from a serious injury would be a massive risk for any EL club to include in their top 5. I do understand what other's are saying around the new rule effecting riders like him though. Fingers crossed both Ash and the kid can be fixed up somewhere in the PL. :t:

The promoters have never said otherwise. It was made crystal clear even before the AGM that the over-riding objective was to the save cost per meeting and everything else was secondary to that. Everyone who bothered to read the press releases or this forum knew something like this was on the way. Yet we still have people trying to tell us that it was some clandestine way to cut costs, when in fact we were told in advance that costs were being cut.

I have yet to hear anyone complain that they want to keep the ridiculous old method of only 14 home league matches meeting some teams twice and some teams once .

Swindon fans were as vociferous as everybody else last season in complaining about the lack of league fixtures but if the number of fixtures had been increased without cutting the cost per meeting Swindon would probably have been one of the first clubs to go under ,bearing in mind their inability to pay riders. You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs and there are bound to be inconstancies in almost any changes.

Its a great shame for Ashley but he is not the first rider to be stitched up by a club after being told he had a job even before the new rule. Its been happening for years. Rosco knew costs had to be cut at the AGM and if he went round promising riders jobs before he knew how things were going to work out, that's down to him for making promises he couldn't keep.

Crystal clear? Are you referring to Cook's Speedway Star interview and news item on the Lakeside website? They are the opinions of one person read by a limited number of supporters. Was there something clearer (crystal) for the league as a whole?

Didn't notice anything obvious of the BSPA site. Is there anything to state that the AGM decisions were the result of cost cutting. The implications of the press releases are that it is a fast track route that may uncover future stars.

Now I appreciate the danger of press releases highlighting problem areas. However I would suggest the majority of supporters aren't aware of the reasons behind the decisions. They will just see the outcome. It's the difficulty of reactive management. The BSPA need to already be looking at 2015 strategy, especially in the area of team building/averages and I mean more than the reserves where there are plans.

Never imagined that young Ash would be in the Robins 2014 team 1-5 after this season's changes were announced..

Wish him well for 2014 and I'm sure the usual injuries will provide him with openings both in the EL and PL, (if he's not fixed up before the season starts)..

If what he say's is true and there is no reason to doubt him, he shouldn't have been promised a team place at Swindon unless that place was guaranteed :t:

Two Brits now Birks and Auty have been shafted by this pathetic rule Birks what was his average 3.06.?why wasn't Birks in the draft? and is he as experienced as Newman.Again this badly thought out rule has hurt certain riders and also is going to provide an inferior product for the supporter for the same amount of money.As Orion said they might save money but i don't believe for a minute that the crowds won't go down i will be very surprised if Swindon get anymore than 1200 most weeks maybe a few 1500 crowds but mainly 1000 plus if so won't Swindon still lose money.?

Two Brits now Birks and Auty have been shafted by this pathetic rule Birks what was his average 3.06.?why wasn't Birks in the draft? and is he as experienced as Newman.Again this badly thought out rule has hurt certain riders and also is going to provide an inferior product for the supporter for the same amount of money.As Orion said they might save money but i don't believe for a minute that the crowds won't go down i will be very surprised if Swindon get anymore than 1200 most weeks maybe a few 1500 crowds but mainly 1000 plus if so won't Swindon still lose money.?

Would Birks have ridden for £40 a point?

Considering he finished as Scunthorpe's number 1, I doubt it somehow.

There's always going to be someone somewhere who loses out.

It's unfortunate whoever it is.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up at Belle Vue anyway.

Belle Vue is the obvious destination for Ashley next season but before any move is made it has to be made lear when he is likely to be fit to ride again after such a career threatening injury.

Can't really blame Swindon if a place was promised before the AGM but even then you would have thought Ashley would have been told soon after as Hans Andersen was quickly snapped up by Coventry it was clear that Swindon would be unlikely to include a three point rider in their 1-5.

Hopefully he is going to be fully fit for the 2014 season and if he is then I'm sure he will get rides sorted as he is better than his current average suggests.

Could it be that Birks was offered a place in the draft but turned it down as he was originally assured a 1-5 spot?

Could it be that Birks was offered a place in the draft but turned it down as he was originally assured a 1-5 spot?

I doubt Birks would have been considered for the draft. He was a PL #1 last year and has ridden a full season in the EL. The divide between him and some of the draft riders is huge.

Would Birks have ridden for £40 a point?

Considering he finished as Scunthorpe's number 1, I doubt it somehow.

There's always going to be someone somewhere who loses out.

It's unfortunate whoever it is.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up at Belle Vue anyway.

Why does someone always have to lose out?

The problem we have, is the promoters have made a ruling, governed to putting on a cheaper show and believe in cutting the cost as of paramount importance.

They have not thought of the implications these new ideas will have. I, am like you, in thinking, the support will decrease and this new effort will have all been for nothing. Surely, a better idea, would have been to address the problem of falling gates, and the quality of the show on offer............... Some of the tracks I've visited, have been a disgrace. these are just some of the issues that need sorting. Riders like Birks should be racing regularly, not pushed out by some stupid draft ruling.