British Speedway Forum

should have just followed the Swindon rule , wait to march the 1st and signed for who he liked

Makes me laugh how Poole fans can like that post as it was their club who started all these things with how they refused to buy Miedzinski & then Swindon did the same thing with Hans & Troy.

Two wrongs don't make a right but what did you expect Swindon to do buy every rider they want & then loan out riders who choose to ride for other clubs over them??.

To be honest, I don't see this as an 'asset' situation!! Morris' so-called agreement to be back at Swindon in 2014 could probably be nothing more or less than a 'See ya in the Spring' comment as he boarded his flight back to Oz, expecting as he (and others) did think that he would still be lodging with Rosco and riding for Somerset and Swindon!!

Its not Morris' fault that he seems unlikely to be riding for either. Its not Swindon's fault either!

It'll be very interesting to see how the BSPA General Council meeting deals with this later this month, as its their (and Somerset's) earlier actions that are the cause of all this!

Of course, also bubbling under the surface is the apparent issue of Visa rejections, which if true, may well affect other line-ups (and have a possible bearing on the Morris issue) before teams finally take to the track in March/April!!

Wouldn't it be nice if this mystery person who told Somerset about Brady actually came out & made himself public & explained his actions.

Oh wait a minute this is speedway we're talking about where the invisible men in power still exist.

Edited by Crazy robin

how can nick morris .... tell the Swindon promotion that he wants to ride for Sheffield on a Thursday instead of Swindon..... he is owned by Swindon........ tell Sheffield if they want nick morris in the Sheffield team they need to buy him outright....... if not tell them to get lost.

You want Morris banned for pulling out (if he does) of a contract with Swindon.

May I ask whether you believe Somerset should face a similar penalty for pulling out of a contract with Morris?

Remember Morris probably agreed to these contracts in tandem. He potentially loses half his income.

Swindon on the other other hand will be recompensed for their loss via a loan or purchase. Somerset no doubt save money as I expect Aspergen will earn less than Morris.

The BSPA is a quasi-cartel, meaning the promoters are collectively responsible for the cock-ups. Not the riders. End of.

• Like 2

Perhaps he's been lined up by a Wednesday night track in the EL. Maybe, his Aussie mate has tapped him up as requested by Fa Maude!

Edited by DunRobin
  • Like 1

Could Swindon change their race night to accommodate Nick Morris? I know you shouldn't have to............

I feel that the issue about averages is crap, why should an average attained by a rider in Poland, Sweden, Denmark etc count in the UK, how many riders have come to the UK from any of these countries on a 5 to 7 average and would have struggled to become a heat leader in the national league.

Let the other countries sort their own averages out and we can sort ours out this is The British Speedway Leagues not The European Speedway League

I admit that there have been some good ones but I believe that the poor ones out number them, in my opinion all foreign riders not in the GP programme should first come in on a 4 point average and earn a CMA after 3 home meetings and 3 away meetings if they are worth their salt then they should be able to attain a meaningful average after about 2 weeks to hold down their team place

Or did they ask the question that when Kurtz's turns 17 he is eligible for patriality?

Somerset no doubt have written clarification that Kurtz could ride in the Danish League last year and still be eligible for a 3. I mean you wouldn't run a business based on a verbal answer (especially if you asked the wrong question). More so when there is recent history of disagreements between promoters and what they were told by the MC.

Is this referring to the Somerset/Kurtz/BSPA issue or the Swindon/Morris situation???

Perhaps he's been lined up by a Wednesday night track in the EL. Maybe, his Aussie mate has tapped him up as requested by Fa Maude!

usual rubbish. It must be Pooles fault.

how can nick morris .... tell the Swindon promotion that he wants to ride for Sheffield on a Thursday instead of Swindon..... he is owned by Swindon........ tell Sheffield if they want nick morris in the Sheffield team they need to buy him outright....... if not tell them to get lost.

We told Birmingham to buy Barker outright but it didn't do use any good

Is this referring to the Somerset/Kurtz/BSPA issue or the Swindon/Morris situation???

Somerset/Kurtz/BSPA

But that's where the whole asset system gets interesting (sic). He may be owned by Swindon, but unless he's under contract (a contract that actually pays as opposed to just stating we own you) then we are into restraint of trade. Whilst the BSPA can obviously create a system by which they can effectively require riders to sign up to the rules, the problem speedway faces is if anybody challenges those rules legally.

In the case of Morris, if he has no current financial contract, then if forced to stay at Swindon he could challenge it legally. I have little doubt he'd win and the entire asset system would be deemed illegal. Even if he's signed a contract by which he probably won't receive a single penny until April, I'd be surprised if he couldn't give notice on that contract anyway. The fact that the BSPA contracts allow the employer to cut a rider whenever the like, even if he is over performing would suggest a clause preventing the employee from terminating his contract at any stage would be deemed unlawful.

The concept of "ownership" of a person can only have any form of validity if the person "owned" is benefitting, which basically means receiving a wage, or at the very least has a guaranteed wage at a later point in the contract (i.e. next season).

Edited by 500cc
  • Like 1

Nick Morris maybe needs to be in both leagues,but so should Josh Auty and Ash Birks...Nick should have just got his head down and waited and got on with it at Swindon

If Sheff have made an approach for Nick well i would recall Stead --just to feck them up!!

and never mind what effect that might have on Stead? Thats the sort of thinking thats caused this hoo ha in the first place!

• Like 2

and never mind what effect that might have on Stead? Thats the sort of thinking thats caused this hoo ha in the first place!

Absolutely Lioness.

Stead would effectively go from a likely near guaranteed season long PL job, to a potentially short term EL job.

• Like 1

I think klindt is a good signing for you boys really liked him when he came quested for us (brummies) last season just needs to get his confidence up . Is he doubling up this season if so who with ?

I think klindt is a good signing for you boys really liked him when he came quested for us (brummies) last season just needs to get his confidence up . Is he doubling up this season if so who with ?

No full time in Elite lge only .

We'd have only 6.13 to replace Nick so no Zengota (6.15) or Skornicki (6.14) unless we get special dispensation. Otherwise it's Leon Madsen 6.10 or Lukas Dryml 5.7 or two changes!

Frankly I'd keep PK & make four changes!