British Speedway Forum
Bagpuss

King's Lynn Stars 2014

Indeed, the EoES is far, far too good a racetrack to be lost, it was the best in the EL if not the UK. Despite seeing Lynn getting marmalised there often the racing was usually excellent, fingers crossed a buyer is found and the Panthers operate in the PL.

• Like 2

I've done all of that in my time but recent year on year promotional cock ups for my own side, a ruling body which couldn't lie straight in bed and whose idea of progress is a worse product annually means that I'm clinging to "speedway supporter" by my fingertips at the moment.

I appreciate all you say and can understand your feelings. That is the problem why most of the lost supporters stay away. I just turn a blind eye to all that now, and just go for my own personal pleasure. Seeing four riders racing side by side, going flat out still give me a buzz, even after all these years........... :icon_smile_clown:

• Like 2

I appreciate all you say and can understand your feelings. That is the problem why most of the lost supporters stay away. I just turn a blind eye to all that now, and just go for my own personal pleasure. Seeing four riders racing side by side, going flat out still give me a buzz, even after all these years........... :icon_smile_clown:

Dear dear dear. I got shot down for suggesting as a Speedway fan you can just enjoy the spectacle of 4 riders battling around a track.

Apparently the rules and the running of the sport has to taint everything.

Thankfully there are some purists still left!

To a degree you are right, the racing is after all what everyone enjoys but it's seriously tainted by what's going on behind the scenes and despite what the BSPA have done at this years AGM nothing really has changed and the sport remains on its knees.

• Like 1

Shame that ! as a speedway supporter I like to watch the sport from any place I can get to. Just because I live near to Lynn and support them it wouldn't stop me going other places to see some racing.

Thinking about it, I actually went to the showground 7 times last year, and only 2 of which, were Lynn were riding.

I,m a Showground regular as well and it's a shame the Panthers aren't in the EL next season we will miss our trips there to watch Lynn and others teams at the Showground but if as hoped the Panthers find a new owner I will certainly go to the Showground to watch PL maybe not on a regular basis will pick and choose .

Glad to know I wasn't alone in visiting the EoES lots last year. I must admit I always saw a few Lynn supporters there in the crowd whenever I was there. I myself went numerous times last season. At this moment in time I'm so glad I did! The track is one that the UK speedway scene simply cannot afford to lose as I still say it is one of the best in the country. There were many racing highlights for me there in 2013, more than what there was at the Norfolk Arena. Like Haza, if indeed the Panthers get an owner and they're in the PL, I will still continue to head over, maybe not as frequently as I did last season due to Lynn's increased EL fixture schedule for next season, but I will still go.

Living in Wiltshire but working occasionally in Cambridgeshire and Warwickshire, I visited the EOES as often as I could as I was pretty much guaranteed top class racing.

Along with Somerset's OTA and possibly the Shay at Halifax, simply the best racing I have seen at Peterborough. Moreover, superb elevated unobstructed view, which of course makes a difference.

I'll be rooting for you guys to get back to EL racing as soon as possible.

• Like 9

Four riders side by side wont be the thrill of 2014 seeing if a GP standard rider can catch and pass a NL standard reserve who started from the same gate will be , will they give double points for this no doubt sky would love it

Edited by scoobydoo

Four riders side by side wont be the thrill of 2014 seeing if a GP standard rider can catch and pass a NL standard reserve who started from the same gate will be , will they give double points for this no doubt sky would love it

I've seen many races when the SGP rider is chasing the lesser rider, starting from the same gate. The top name rider should always win, but as we have seen in many circumstances it don't always happen. It is those races that people want to see. When a lesser rider wins them races it does them the world of good and their confidence goes sky-high....

• Like 1

Glad to know I wasn't alone in visiting the EoES lots last year. I must admit I always saw a few Lynn supporters there in the crowd whenever I was there. I myself went numerous times last season. At this moment in time I'm so glad I did! The track is one that the UK speedway scene simply cannot afford to lose as I still say it is one of the best in the country. There were many racing highlights for me there in 2013, more than what there was at the Norfolk Arena. Like Haza, if indeed the Panthers get an owner and they're in the PL, I will still continue to head over, maybe not as frequently as I did last season due to Lynn's increased EL fixture schedule for next season, but I will still go.

I'm obviously in the minority , but the last time I went to P'boro (to support Lynn in 2012) the track was atrocious. It had more humps and bumps than a housing estate. It was the meeting where K Bjerre broke his leg and Rob Lyon almost jacked in speedway. I'm sure you remember :/

It was the first time I'd been there for years and admittedly had remembered it as a good racetrack but was totally put off that night. I stood on the 2nd bend (preferred position) and couldn't hear any of the announcements - having the pits nearby didnt help of course but the PA was very poor around the perimeter of the track (except the stand).

Oh and I arrived only just in time for the first heat due to not being able to find the damn EOE showground (road works diversion put me off route). I couldnt believe the lack of road signage, and even locals I asked on the way hadn't a clue, so no wonder the speedway didn't get enough support - no-one knows its there :o

Anyway, guess I went on a bad night, 'cos plenty of people seem to enjoy it there, and of course I sympathise with all the P'boro fans whose weekly fix has been curtailed. Hope you get at least something to watch.

I'm obviously in the minority , but the last time I went to P'boro (to support Lynn in 2012) the track was atrocious. It had more humps and bumps than a housing estate. It was the meeting where K Bjerre broke his leg and Rob Lyon almost jacked in speedway. I'm sure you remember :/

It was the first time I'd been there for years and admittedly had remembered it as a good racetrack but was totally put off that night. I stood on the 2nd bend (preferred position) and couldn't hear any of the announcements - having the pits nearby didnt help of course but the PA was very poor around the perimeter of the track (except the stand).

Oh and I arrived only just in time for the first heat due to not being able to find the damn EOE showground (road works diversion put me off route). I couldnt believe the lack of road signage, and even locals I asked on the way hadn't a clue, so no wonder the speedway didn't get enough support - no-one knows its there :o

Anyway, guess I went on a bad night, 'cos plenty of people seem to enjoy it there, and of course I sympathise with all the P'boro fans whose weekly fix has been curtailed. Hope you get at least something to watch.

Yes, I do remember. That wasn't such a great night I have to say in all my time of heading over there. I was there on the back straight with all the other Lynn supporters when Kenneth broke his leg and yes the track was pretty bad on that occasion. That I cannot deny. During the earlier part of 2013 it had also seen better days I thought and was still a bit "hit and miss", but once it's prepared correctly, it can produce fantastic racing, which I did see there in 2013 on many occasions. I think as the season progressed the track conditions did seem to get better. Don't know what everyone elses view is on this, but that's mine.

Don't even talk to me about roadwork diversions :lol: My worst nightmare! I always used to go via the A47 then the A1260 and go through the Ortons, but now I tend to go the way most people go, which is along the A1139 on the south side of Peterborough, as it does seem quicker. I know what you mean about locals not knowing about the EoES. When I first went a few seasons ago, having never been there before, we asked locals for directions and they either hadn't got a clue or couldn't speak a word of English (ever so helpful!) You'd think they'd know about it seeing as lots of other different events are held there, but no, seemingly not. Maybe like you say, that doesn't help with getting enough local support either.

I couldnt believe the lack of road signage, and even locals I asked on the way hadn't a clue, so no wonder the speedway didn't get enough support - no-one knows its there :o

I sympathise with all the P'boro fans whose weekly fix has been curtailed. Hope you get at least something to watch.

Good point about the signage and how invisible the speedway is, that never was addressed properly. Also you've pointed out another problem. It hasn't been a weekly fix for 10 years which has been a major problem. Long summer breaks and then 2 or 3 meetings in a short space of time when the landlords allow us us of their facilities has been the norm.

Mads tweeted earlier today that he has signed for a UK club - to be announced later this week. Double bluff and it'll be the Stars after all.... :wink:

Glad to hear he's got a place somewhere else :) Hopefully one day he'll make a return to us!

Mads tweeted earlier today that he has signed for a UK club - to be announced later this week. Double bluff and it'll be the Stars after all.... :wink:

I see Mads has joined the Leicester Lions from his twitter page. Good to see he's not going miss the British racing.

https://twitter.com/madskliski#