British Speedway Forum
pirateandi

Birmingham V Poole Grand Final 2nd Leg

Good spot SGP. if you google Barry the cat and graham drury there is an interesting link.

Seems you have slipped up there boyo!

What's that old saying about keep your friends close and your enemies closer!

Perhaps you should be sticking up for your employee rather than trying to shaft him at every given opportunity?

Or maybe sometimes you can't defend the indefensible?

Just a thought...

The air horns ban was imposed by Birmingham City Council as a condition of the planning consent. Bells, rattles and fireworks were not banned so there is no point in making comparisons in noise levels between these and air horns.

The chief planning officer at Birmingham did everything he could to persuade the Planning Committee to refuse the planning application and one of his reasons was that "the supporters use air horns." When it was suggested that their use could be prohibited he claimed that this would be unenforceable. Fortunately for us, the Committee over-ruled his recommendation and approved a planning consent subject to a total of 68 conditions, one of which was that air horns would not be used.

It was made very clear to us from the onset that if we did not comply with all of the conditions then the planning approval could be withdrawn,so those people from Poole who adopted such a boorish attitude last Tuesday will have put the future of Birmingham Speedway in jeopardy if there should be any complaints made by local residents.

For what it is worth, I think the air horn ban is nonsensical and would only cause a nuisance if they were to be sounded in the streets around the stadium which have residential homes in them, but the request not to use them was reasonable and made politely and there was no need for the kind of ill-mannered reaction that resulted. It might be logical to say as an earlier poster did "Oh come on - it was a cup final" but the sour faces in the planning office wouldn't see it like that - they would just see it as being a vindication of their claim that the air horns ban can't be enforced.

I would emphasise that what I have written is aimed at th a comparatively small number of Poole supporters and that the vast majority were happy to put away their horns when asked to do so and had no difficulty in making their presence known by their cheering.

There are no "sour grapes" intended. Poole were very worthy winners and although I would have liked to see my own team win, I have no complaint about the result or the conduct of the majority of Poole supporters who were fully entitled to enjoy their success and to celebrate accordingly.

Personally, I find this statement both fair and balanced.

It's unfortunate that given any large group of people attending a sporting event like football/speedway etc, you will have a small minority who spoil it for the vast majority of fans.

I have seen this with my own eyes at Villa Park, AFC Bournemouth etc etc....you name it and there will be various incidents which leave the vast majority of decent fans annoyed.

However, I'm pretty sure that collectively, the Poole supporters didn't visit Perry Barr with the intention to deliberately cause trouble but a few got carried away with the occasion and ignored the requests to stop. There are no excuses and I'm sorry to hear that this happened and I sincerely hope that no complaints was made to Birmingham City council by local residents who I would hope, would take into consideration, the importance of the occasion.

That is my own take on the matter and it is all I indeed to say. It happened, so please can we learn some lessons and move on to next season.

As always, good luck to the Birmingham Brummies in your efforts to build another exciting team that once again, you can be proud of.

Edited by Poole Quay 7
  • Like 5

'Brummies boss 'sorry' for song'!! www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport

Birmingham Promoter Graham Drury slams the 'absolutely pathetic and unjustified' playing of Money Money Money during Pirates title celebrations.

• Like 2

Good spot SGP. if you google Barry the cat and graham drury there is an interesting link.

Seems you have slipped up there boyo!

What's that old saying about keep your friends close and your enemies closer!

Perhaps you should be sticking up for your employee rather than trying to shaft him at every given opportunity?

Ha ha, unfortunately you are barking up the wrong tree Dickie boy, pleased that I am not GD - having to be associated with mavericks like your brother and UKM would send me grey & bald!

I must say, even though I didnt like the result on Monday (being a birmingham fan) the poole fans i was with were wicked and really good to talk too. they just wanted to see some good racing and make sure speedway is around next year - top fans

• Like 4

I dont believe that, I think he was just unlucky, pressure got to doyle in heat 1 at poole but over both legs by far your best rider. I have always been a fan of danny king and he deserved a world cup place, how can he be left out and Barker left in!

Not sure over Barker either, depends how much of Horton's earlier outbursts were hot air and if not, if it's worth fighting it and missing out on other riders in the meantime.

What I'm getting at is for 3 years the Brummies have stuck with a basic spine of a side, I'm not slagging off the riders concerned, but wondering if maybe it's time to go in a different direction.

Ha ha, unfortunately you are barking up the wrong tree Dickie boy, pleased that I am not GD - having to be associated with mavericks like your brother and UKM would send me grey & bald!

Double bluff. Come out from behind your mask. Why people hide behind a forum name always amuses me boyo.

• Like 1

Not sure over Barker either, depends how much of Horton's earlier outbursts were hot air and if not, if it's worth fighting it and missing out on other riders in the meantime.

What I'm getting at is for 3 years the Brummies have stuck with a basic spine of a side, I'm not slagging off the riders concerned, but wondering if maybe it's time to go in a different direction.

....but surely that side got you to the top of the league and into the final!

• Like 3

I certainly did. The fact is, that it was announced that air horns should not be used, and the Poole fans deliberately ignored this. Brian Buck was told that they (Poole supporters) did not care if Birmingham Speedway was closed down.

dont tar all the Poole fans with the same brush.

its only the select few wallys that want to see clubs struggle! They wont be happy until Poole have nobody left to race against

A cheaper direction more than likely.

Time for Birmingham to give Coventry a chance of the play offs by letting them use their best riders............................. :wink:

Edited by OGT
  • Like 1

I certainly did. The fact is, that it was announced that air horns should not be used, and the Poole fans deliberately ignored this. Brian Buck was told that they (Poole supporters) did not care if Birmingham Speedway was closed down.

This posting is pure hearsay and should be removed in the interests of truth. Take note Phil !

Just frustrating to have someone score double figures consistently at home then go AWOL in the play offs and occasional last heat decider.

I'm not a doctor but I can help with the diagnosis on this one. Danny was suffering from an attack of Bjerre Syndrome. :P

Oh really, perhaps you would like to enlighten us. NO Poole fan wants to see ANY club shut down. Why shouldn't air horns be used, you live in a bleedin town centre with more noise than that surrounding the stadium. What numptie came up with that??

• Like 2

Oh really, perhaps you would like to enlighten us. NO Poole fan wants to see ANY club shut down. Why shouldn't air horns be used, you live in a bleedin town centre with more noise than that surrounding the stadium. What numptie came up with that??

You may well have missed it in a long thread, but Brian Buck's post #672 sets out the background and will be of assistance.