British Speedway Forum
pirateandi

Birmingham V Poole Grand Final 2nd Leg

It's funny, it seems to be good enough for pretty much every other sport, just not speedway. I accept many fans like the play-off's, but those that rave on about it need to accept that perhaps just as many don't like them.

you only have to go back to last year when shovlar didnt like the play offs and Poole were 'the rightful winners'

funnily this year he thinks they are great lol

• Like 1

And Gavans rants continue. He has basically written one post in the last 6 months and just changed the words around.

"I don't like Poole".

Next hour.

"Poole I don't like"

Next hour.

"Matt Ford is good for Poole and bad for speedway.

Next hour.

"Matt Ford is bad for speedway but good for Poole".

And he says it so much he actually believes it!

Truth is he is clearly jealous of the success of the club. Dissing Matt and Middlo, then guess what, they win us yet another title!

Calling our team rubbish, and then guess what? Major egg on face when Poole romp home. I bet he was dreading it when Poole smashed Swindon and the writing was on the wall.

Gavan you can rant as much as you like, we all like a good laugh. And trying to brown nose some Poole fans is cringeworthy in the extreme.

Poole Pirates 2013 Elite league Champions, and loving it! :lol::cheers:

And the chances are we will be there or thereabouts in 2014. New big sponsors coming onboard and old ones returning with plenty of money so Matt can go out and get the riders he wants.

Well done to Matt Ford, Neil Middleditch, Giles, the backroom staff and the riders for making a record 4 finals in a row and delivering us 5 Elite League Titles.

Make that half a dozen next year please.

Oh dear, Mr Shoveller, do you HONESTLY believe any right-minded speedway fan/supporter/follower is the tiniest bit jealous of Poole Pirates, along with their Management?

I think not

• Like 1

Oh dear, Mr Shoveller, do you HONESTLY believe any right-minded speedway fan/supporter/follower is the tiniest bit jealous of Poole Pirates, along with their Management?

I think not

Yes.If they are not Poole fans. What fan wouldn't be jealous of the success? Normal human behaviour. Since Matt Ford took over the club with Mike Golding Poole have been the number one club in the UK. A fact not an opinion. No other club has come close in that time.

Yes.If they are not Poole fans. What fan wouldn't be jealous of the success? Normal human behaviour. Since Matt Ford took over the club with Mike Golding Poole have been the number one club in the UK. A fact not an opinion. No other club has come close in that time.

and still you dont get it!!

no point people going over it to try and get it into your head but just in case.

NOBODY IS JEALOUS OF POOLE WINNING TROPHIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

you only have to go back to last year when shovlar didnt like the play offs and Poole were 'the rightful winners'

funnily this year he thinks they are great lol

I never said that. You are lying and putting words in my mouth. I have always been an advocate (in favour of incase you don't know what that word means) of the playoffs.

I am almost embarassed for you with your rants and hatred towards Poole. Very sad indeed. God knows what other Ipswich fans think of you with your fixation on the Pirates. :neutral:

Edited by Steve Shovlar

Fans with integrity and a sense of fair play, which is most fans...
  • Like 1

Poole play as fairly as any other club otherwise we would have been penalised. Easy to say Poole did this or that but it's not backed up with any sanctions because Poole simply play within the rules. Totally fair play.

The Poole management are a team of winners and that's what they do. Win more often than not.

• Like 3

we know the sport is in trouble.

but as shovlar has showed on here many times......as long as all is ok in Dorset and Poole win we dont give a stuff about the sport

We can't change what happens at other clubs and areas. How can we ? We look after our own club and that's it. The promoter needs to promote, or get out if he can't. I don't believe some areas want speedway and unfortunately if that's the case the club will close. None of it is Pooles fault.

Complete nonsense .

Anyway back to topic, didn't we stuff Swindon and Birmingham in the play offs. Well done boys bring on the same for 2014 !!!! :-)

• Like 3

We can't change what happens at other clubs and areas. How can we ? We look after our own club and that's it. The promoter needs to promote, or get out if he can't. I don't believe some areas want speedway and unfortunately if that's the case the club will close. None of it is Pooles

Sounds like a fair comment to me.

Serious question. If Poole were to put out a mediocre team next year, stick with the same 1-7 throughout the season and finish near the bottom would it bring fans back through the turnstiles at other clubs? I don't think so.

A comment on the Lakeside v Poole thread summed it up for me that said maybe people should stay away from forums and social media and just rock up at 7:30 and enjoy it for what it is. 4 blokes giving it their all on bikes with no brakes!

• Like 2

I disagree - the Poole fans are the responsibilty of Poole Speedway.

An extreme analogy but who do you think are punished when hooligans rip out seats at football grounds?

It is the clubs even where individuals are not caught.

Hasnt there also been lots of 'we done it for our fans / the fans are our club' type rhetoric when describing the win?

Cant have it both ways.

That said I think overall this is a bit of a storm in a teacup.

I doubt an isolated incident such as this would actually threaten Birmingham Speedway but Id also say thats not a risk worth taking so I can understand the stance of both sides.

Speedway may well have many more polarised debates over the next few months that need to be resolved in order for the sport to stabalise and rebuild.

Lets hope these debates can be more constructive than much of this thread or we may end up with nothing to debate in the future.

So do football clubs apologise when fans stand up when they are told to sit down?

• Like 1

I think you need to watch the sky coverage, as Danny goes down there is a huge cheer, it annoyed me on the night and since watching the TV coverage, it has really shown what the Poole supporters who cheered that night think of riders who fall off, I add not all of the supporters cheered but the ones that did in the main stand also jumped to there feet to cheer.

It wasnt the biggest cheer of the night and I expect your fine with thj being cheered when he fell

Edited by foreverblue

Poole play as fairly as any other club otherwise we would have been penalised. Easy to say Poole did this or that but it's not backed up with any sanctions because Poole simply play within the rules. Totally fair play.

Would you like to talk us through the above, Mr Shoveller, as I'm sure all right minded people do not understand what you have written

If you're referring to a lot of the posters on here, you have got to be joking!

• Like 1

So do football clubs apologise when fans stand up when they are told to sit down?

I dont know I dont go to football.

I believe though that persistent offenders clubs have been threatened with sanctions. Why would this be if they were not ultimately responsible?

I dont want to get into a back and forth on this as I think the whole episode has been overplayed.

There a far more important issues at hand this winter.