British Speedway Forum

I still maintain there's nothing stopping him riding here on a Tier 5 other than the BSPA. So perhaps they'd care to comment?

• Like 2

I still maintain there's nothing stopping him riding here on a Tier 5 other than the BSPA. So perhaps they'd care to comment?

Doing that purely opens a massive can of worms. The BSPA would then be the sponsor, and take personal and financial responsibility for all riders who would also join Doyle going for a Tier 5 permit.

In addition, as it has been indicated earlier in this thread, a rider could not ride for two teams, guest or D/U, as it would appear he would be riding for another team, and therefore might have to have a new permit each time he changes from his primary team. I have doubts about that, but for it to happen, that would imply, I think, that the BSPA would have to take on the role of primary sponsor, something I can understand they would NOT entertain at any cost.

It really does come down to a foreign rider needing to know the rules of entry, and planning ahead to comply with the rules.

• Like 1

Don't think the Bspa would be his sponsor, they'd just be endorsing his application.... Looking at the criteria he seems to fit most of it, maybe apart from being established at the highest level of his field if you view that as the GP's.

It would open a can of worms though and set a president IMO... It's another downside of speedway promotions governing themselves maybe??....

It could all be a load of bull though!

But you don't know that for sure though, do you...

Would be amazed if Nick Morris rides for the Rebels now.

Why?

TBH I asked many moons ago on this thread re riding though admittedly not residing in other countries if JD can ride in other EU countries it makes a mockery of EU law as far as I'm concerned.

If the Australian team were invited to a Test Series in GB could JD and others in the same boat ride for them.

• Like 1

TBH I asked many moons ago on this thread re riding though admittedly not residing in other countries if JD can ride in other EU countries it makes a mockery of EU law as far as I'm concerned.

If the Australian team were invited to a Test Series in GB could JD and others in the same boat ride for them.

I would think yes as they would probably be given a temporary visa that visiting sports teams apply for.

• Like 1

Don't think the Bspa would be his sponsor, they'd just be endorsing his application.... Looking at the criteria he seems to fit most of it, maybe apart from being established at the highest level of his field if you view that as the GP's.

It would open a can of worms though and set a president IMO... It's another downside of speedway promotions governing themselves maybe??....

Probably

Probably the reason for not endorsing it.

Possibly

In PM's with Pirate Nick, and wondered why other Aussie riders don't change their renewal date to a date such as end of February, the same as Tungate has. He is currently riding in OZ but should arrive in February in time to renew his visa. OZ riders only know sometime after the AGM that they are hired for the next season so give it a bit of leeway and then apply.

Edited by Tsunami

Isnt it weird, speedway riders are self employed, so surely Jason doesnt need to be sponsors by an employer? Or they're not actually self employed?

It's bizarre isn't it ... Riders are "assets" of promotions, but don't have regular contracts, and in some cases are even VAT registered "self-employees".

One wonders how this whole asset thing stacks up when Doyle can "sign" for Leicester and Somerset, but not have a valid contract of employment to enable him to ride for either!

The BSPA would then be the sponsor, and take personal and financial responsibility for all riders who would also join Doyle going for a Tier 5 permit.

The UK Border Agency conditions for a T5 visa do not require the BSPA to be the primary sponsor, just that they endorse the primary sponsor, confirming that the applicant meets the Governing bodies requirements to give that endorsement.

As Doyle has clearly had the BSPA's blessing under previous T2 rules, I would asked what's changed, and why won't they give their support under T5 rules ?

UK BORDER AGENCY - Before assigning your certificate of sponsorship in the sporting sub-category, your sponsor must have an endorsement for you from the governing body for your sport, which confirms you meet the governing body's requirements to give their endorsement. The governing body must be recognised by us.

a rider could not ride for two teams, guest or D/U, as it would appear he would be riding for another team, and therefore might have to have a new permit each time he changes from his primary team.........I have doubts about that, but for it to happen, that would imply, I think, that the BSPA would have to take on the role of primary sponsor.

Again not quite true, a T5 visa allows the applicant to work 20 hours a week in an extra job in the same sector as that job that their certificate of sponsorship is for (something that would cover Doyle's activities with Leicester. I would guess that the only role the BSPA would be asked to do is monitor that, so once again I would ask why they wouldn't do that

UK BORDER AGENCY - You can do extra work (supplementary work) to the job that you have a certificate of sponsorship for if:

• it is in the same sector at the same level as the job that your certificate of sponsorship is for or in a job on the shortage occupation list;
  • the work is no more than 20 hours a week; and
  • the work is outside the working hours that the certificate of sponsorship is for.

It really does come down to a foreign rider needing to know the rules of entry, and planning ahead to comply with the rules.

I would suggest that it's not the riders that need to know the rules, but the powers that be. It took me 5 minutes to find out what is required of the governing body, and according to the border agency rules its clearly not the role of primary sponsor, nor does it involve them incurring massive cost. At most they would only be required to monitor the number of hours a rider worked in the extra work, and ensure it didn't go beyond 20 hours a week......the cost of this is a few minutes work per rider each week, for someone with a spread sheet.

Or maybe cost is just an excuse, and not the real issue with the BSPA, maybe they have other reasons for not supporting T5 visa for Jason Doyle and the other Australians who find themselves in a similar position, but until they tell us we'll never know.

Answers on a postcard please.

Edited by womble53
  • Like 4

You better go have 7 or 8 burgers, a ham sandwich and a lay down after that lot Mr T or should I say Womble 53 :t:

only 7 or 8 Swede. Is he on a diet

• Like 1

Good research Womble.

I will play devils advocate as a pendaintic border agency worker deciding whether to stamp the Doyle visa.

Point 1 - The supplementary work must be at the same level or on the shortage occupation list. DECLINE

Point 3 - The additional hours must be outside the normal working hours of the original sponsorship. DECLINE

• Like 1

Is he Established at the highest level?? You could argue Doyle is but the others wouldn't be and maybe him coming and going out of the country which requires a further/ addition to his visa may be a stumbling block??

The UK Border Agency conditions for a T5 visa do not require the BSPA to be the primary sponsor, just that they endorse the primary sponsor, confirming that the applicant meets the Governing bodies requirements to give that endorsement.

As Doyle has clearly had the BSPA's blessing under previous T2 rules, I would asked what's changed, and why won't they give their support under T5 rules ?

UK BORDER AGENCY - Before assigning your certificate of sponsorship in the sporting sub-category, your sponsor must have an endorsement for you from the governing body for your sport, which confirms you meet the governing body's requirements to give their endorsement. The governing body must be recognised by us.

You`re the man Dave.

Again not quite true, a T5 visa allows the applicant to work 20 hours a week in an extra job in the same sector as that job that their certificate of sponsorship is for (something that would cover Doyle's activities with Leicester. I would guess that the only role the BSPA would be asked to do is monitor that, so once again I would ask why they wouldn't do that

UK BORDER AGENCY - You can do extra work (supplementary work) to the job that you have a certificate of sponsorship for if:

• it is in the same sector at the same level as the job that your certificate of sponsorship is for or in a job on the shortage occupation list;
  • the work is no more than 20 hours a week; and
  • the work is outside the working hours that the certificate of sponsorship is for.
I would suggest that it's not the riders that need to know the rules, but the powers that be. It took me 5 minutes to find out what is required of the governing body, and according to the border agency rules its clearly not the role of primary sponsor, nor does it involve them incurring massive cost. At most they would only be required to monitor the number of hours a rider worked in the extra work, and ensure it didn't go beyond 20 hours a week......the cost of this is a few minutes work per rider each week, for someone with a spread sheet.

Or maybe cost is just an excuse, and not the real issue with the BSPA, maybe they have other reasons for not supporting T5 visa for Jason Doyle and the other Australians who find themselves in a similar position, but until they tell us we'll never know.

Answers on a postcard please.

Quote gadget playing up AGAIN, Dave you are the man.