British Speedway Forum

Hopefully now a statement has been issued today the Birmingham fans will start to get good news filtering through and nothing better than a signing announced to bring good news.

Will Brummies go with a big number one or go strength in depth?

• Like 1

Will Brummies go with a big number one

I think in the last few days they've been going with a big number two :o

sorry, toilet humour isn't normally my thing but i couldn't resist

Edited by Pirio Barre
  • Like 1

Will Brummies go with a big number one or go strength in depth?

The guy that seems to be rumored will prob be one of the top riders left if all 9 pointers bar Woffy and Darcy and many of the higher 8 pointers are gone.

There are a few big names that could sign but it remains to be seen if they are willing to pay for the top riders

Disapointed with the statement to be honest, I feel the statement asks more questions then it answers them. So Chris Luty cuts all ties with the Brummies and Alan is taking sole charge. I worry about that because look at the last 2 years and how much money this club has lost, thats with 2 owners so does Alan really have money to fund EL speedway himself. Also the club has no Commercial Manager and Sponsorship is KEY to us at this level, cant rely on good crowds all the time. So getting a new commercial manager is a must for next season asap but theres no mention in the statement.

In the Mail today, it says Tony Mole approached the owners to take over the club and I would have liked that. It might have meant Phil and Danny could return also but sadly that seems to be gone now.

There are a few big names that could sign but it remains to be seen if they are willing to pay for the top riders

No big names next year if Phillips is running it alone, will be built on an even stricter budget then in previous seasons.

Edited by Brummie Kev

No big names next year if Phillips is running it alone, will be built on an even stricter budget then in previous seasons.

While I can understand that, they need to be careful not to come up with a totally underwhelming side, one that has wooden spoon written all over it will not save any money if it's not good enough to entice people through the gate.

Is a cheap side rooted to 10th with crowds of 500 if that any better than an expensive side challenging for the play offs with nearer to 2000 watching ?.

The number are examples before anyone point out any inaccuracies.

While I can understand that, they need to be careful not to come up with a totally underwhelming side, one that has wooden spoon written all over it will not save any money if it's not good enough to entice people through the gate.

The other alternative is to build an attractive side that costs too much much a bit like this year but look what happened . Riders not payed on time and the owners had to bail the club out through their own company so we didnt fold.

It seems Alan wants to stay so why cant he and Tony Mole run it togethor next year and perhaps we could then build a better side. I have massive reservations of Alan running this club alone given the money worries of last season!!

Edited by Brummie Kev

The same will apply whoever is in charge, whether that be Alan, Tony or A.N.Other.

The other alternative is to build an attractive side that costs too much much a bit like this year but look what happened . Riders not payed on time and the owners had to bail the club out through their own company so we didnt fold.

It seems Alan wants to stay so why cant he and Tony Mole run it togethor next year and perhaps we could then build a better side. I have massive reservations of Alan running this club alone given the money worries of last season!!

I must admit that I am at a loss as to what you actually want. You admit we spent too much this year but are bemoaning the idea that costs may be reduced next year?

I'm also not clear why Tony should be interested in investing money that he wouldn't then have complete control over. Have he and Alan ever worked together before? Do they have similar business outlooks? The evidence of the last two seasons would suggest not.

Tony is the absolute master at demanding value from strict budgets. If he returns it will be on his terms.

I imagine this story has still got legs.

It is under the ownership of Phillips that this debacle has been allowed to develop. The press releases last week indicated that he didn't have a clue as to what was happening in the business that he was responsible for running. Now bearing in mind it is now known that Luty has been virtually a silent partner it gives some credence to McLaughlan's boasts that he was running the club!

To an outsider it looks like the owners had abrogated their responsibilities to run the company correctly and in the vacuum created McLaughlan had been ceded a level of influence way beyond the role of Commercial Manager with both Morris and Drury isolated and to a degree side-lined.

The questions that the BSPA/SCB should be asking is if Phillips is a fit and proper person to run the club; I suggest the empirical evidence shows he is not!

• Like 1

The questions that the BSPA/SCB should be asking is if Phillips is a fit and proper person to run the club; I suggest the empirical evidence shows he is not!

What's the point in having an answer to that question unless there's someone ready to take over ?, woulden't reflect good on the BSPA to force an owner out regardless of whether he's considered suitable or not, then have the club fold as no one steps into the breach.

craig cook could be an out and out number one at brum if not leicester bound

I cant see Cookie leaving Belle Vue to be honest. Bjerre hasnt got a club any more.

Edited by P T Preece

What's the point in having an answer to that question unless there's someone ready to take over ?, woulden't reflect good on the BSPA to force an owner out regardless of whether he's considered suitable or not, then have the club fold as no one steps into the breach.

There is a wider responsibility focused on the integrity of the sport and the protection of Birmingham speedway's stakeholders e.g. what guarantee is there that the riders will get paid?

Phillips & Luty were joint owners of club but it was 100% Luty's cash. So if he's out of the picture where will Phillips get funds from? he indicated during season club was skint. Big risk for anyone who signs for them.

Has Phillips proven to BSPA he has funds to finance club?

• Like 1

" There is a long term plan in place to build on the success of last season a club based on togetherness and financial stability. "

sounds like a belle vue press release, in all honesty the fact the team has survived is good news.

i wouldnt expect much next year, most riders will see where they can get before committing to a non paying club, we would all do the same!