British Speedway Forum
TheReturn

Pearson Defends The Play-off... Desperate

Dont mind play offs but pearson and Tatum are so bad its funny. Had someone new watching tonight he cracked up everytime shouty got excited over nothing.

• Like 2

Dont mind play offs but pearson and Tatum are so bad its funny. Had someone new watching tonight he cracked up everytime shouty got excited over nothing.

IN your opinion of course...

• Like 4

Of course but also others that watched with me. All were crying with laughter as Nige wet his pants when nothing was happening

Of course but also others that watched with me. All were crying with laughter as Nige wet his pants when nothing was happening

I think Pearson and Tatum do a good job but the haters have to find something else to whinge at.

As someone else said.... " You'll miss them when they have gone "

• Like 2

I've said before and I'll say it again Nigel is obviously held in highest regard by sky, Eurosport and talk sport, his commentary style delivers perfectly what they (and other broadcasters) want from their commentators, passion and excitement.

The guy has worked tirelessly to promote our sport at every opportunity - yet he gets knocked all the time, whatever the future holds for speedway on sky, you can bet your bottom dollar he won't be short of work as a broadcaster.

• Like 7

I have said many times - I support Nigel and Kelvin. I think they do a great job.

Play Offs are a travesty of justice as we saw tonight. I felt exactly the same sense of despair when Poole were beaten by Coventry a few years ago after finishing TWENTY SIX Points behind Poole in the League.

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 1

AND what do you think the guys shouting in his ear from the Sky truck wanted ...silence?

Of course they don't want silence ... but equally, are Sky's speedway production team really demanding such excitable nonsense that's all too often well out of proportion to the action the viewers are actually seeing ?

You don't hear other long-established commentators on Sky going way over the top in describing routine action ... take football's Martin Tyler, rugby union's Miles Harrison or any of their Test match cricket commentators who all pace their work so much better that it enables them to make their calls of the greatest moments all the more memorable (notably, Tyler's cry of "Aguuueeiirro" for Man City's stoppage-time title-clinching goal in May 2012).

Surely if it was Sky's general policy for over-the-top commentaries, Tyler would always be going berserk about the last goal in a comfortable 4-0 win, Harrison would usually be going crazy over the final try in an easy 35-3 win and any of Mike Atherton, Nasser Hussain or Sir Ian Botham would be screaming out loud every time the batsmen strolled an easy single ... none of those actually happens so why does Nigel Pearson or the speedway production team feel it necessary to adopt a different policy ? !!

The best tv-commentators always bear in mind that their voice is complementing the pictures rather than dominating them ... all too often, Pearson's radio background means he's doing a radio-style commentary during a tv-broadcast.

• Like 5

And, they didn't say, "see you next year"

Just, "have a good winter"

You only miss something , when it's not there......

Can't say I've missed watching it after I didn't start my Sky Sports subscription as usual in March. Would have quite liked to have seen the play-offs but judging by comments made I've not really missed much there either.

Can't say I've missed watching it after I didn't start my Sky Sports subscription as usual in March. Would have quite liked to have seen the play-offs but judging by comments made I've not really missed much there either.

No - you haven't. :) :)

Listening to Pearson on Sky tonight trying to defend the playoff in our Elite League made me wonder if he is a BSPA mouthpiece, rather than impartial journalist/commentator? I mean, how desperate is he for using the stupid comparison of the play-offs in the Championship to somehow justify using it in speedway. The Championship is used for 3-6th for promotion, not to decide who are league champions. Equally, the Premiership in football does not use play-offs to decide the league champions either. The play-offs to decide the league champions is pathetic, not to mention such weak arguments to defend it from the likes of Pearson.

Total cobblers.

get off Pearsons back, pathetic

• Like 2

Of course they don't want silence ... but equally, are Sky's speedway production team really demanding such excitable nonsense that's all too often well out of proportion to the action the viewers are actually seeing ?

You don't hear other long-established commentators on Sky going way over the top in describing routine action ... take football's Martin Tyler, rugby union's Miles Harrison or any of their Test match cricket commentators who all pace their work so much better that it enables them to make their calls of the greatest moments all the more memorable (notably, Tyler's cry of "Aguuueeiirro" for Man City's stoppage-time title-clinching goal in May 2012).

Surely if it was Sky's general policy for over-the-top commentaries, Tyler would always be going berserk about the last goal in a comfortable 4-0 win, Harrison would usually be going crazy over the final try in an easy 35-3 win and any of Mike Atherton, Nasser Hussain or Sir Ian Botham would be screaming out loud every time the batsmen strolled an easy single ... none of those actually happens so why does Nigel Pearson or the speedway production team feel it necessary to adopt a different policy ? !!

The best tv-commentators always bear in mind that their voice is complementing the pictures rather than dominating them ... all too often, Pearson's radio background means he's doing a radio-style commentary during a tv-broadcast.

In my opinion, those aren't accurate comparisons. Football and Cricket have far more sedate periods during each game where commentary is often unnecessary. Speedway surely is 60 odd seconds of action, and therefore should merit a blast of energy from whoever is commentating. I'm trying to think of another 60 second-ish sport to compare commentary to, but i can't think of any right now.

The Martin Tyler thing re Aguero is guff - he was talking nonsense up to the point that the ball was played through - getting lucky with something that becomes iconic is just that - luck. But to be fair, from a bloke who has commentated for perhaps 30 years on thousands of games, he has had enough years to build up a good style.

Clearly, there are people who just don't like Pearson - like Big H said, lots of media outlets like him and they don't seem to be demanding that he changes his style...

• Like 5

In my opinion, those aren't accurate comparisons. Football and Cricket have far more sedate periods during each game where commentary is often unnecessary. Speedway surely is 60 odd seconds of action, and therefore should merit a blast of energy from whoever is commentating. I'm trying to think of another 60 second-ish sport to compare commentary to, but i can't think of any right now.

The Martin Tyler thing re Aguero is guff - he was talking nonsense up to the point that the ball was played through - getting lucky with something that becomes iconic is just that - luck. But to be fair, from a bloke who has commentated for perhaps 30 years on thousands of games, he has had enough years to build up a good style.

Clearly, there are people who just don't like Pearson - like Big H said, lots of media outlets like him and they don't seem to be demanding that he changes his style...

Quite agree Doc. Speedway is an exciting sport and needs some hype to befit the action. If the commentators are not excited what the hell does the viewer think. The other sports mentioned are much more lay back, unless a goal say in the 90th minute winning a cup happens to wake the commentator to exclaim it's significance. Andy Gray used to get excited with his commentary in an authoritarian way, so that might be the reason why Tyler played the straight man.

• Like 3