British Speedway Forum
paul90210

Coventry Storm 2014

Will Stefan still be able to ride for the Storm if gets. Premier place? I know at mildy 1year Brundle signed for Rye House during the season and then wasn't aloud to ride for Mildenhall.

I think the rule is, If Stefan is in a declared PL 1 to 7, then he cant ride for a NL Team, however if he signs for a PL Team after the season starts, he can ride NL, Im sure someone more knowlegeable than me, will clarify this.

I think the rule is PL average under 5.

Yeah as you and others have alluded to. You can ride NL if your average is below 4.00 & you START the season in the PL, and can continue riding NL if you sign for a PL team during the season and your average is below 5.00. Stefan is 4.70 so he can sign for a PL team after the start of the season and carry on. Brundle was mentioned & he had to league the NL as his PL average was 5.14 I think.

Edited by Islander15

Would seem possibly a deliberate decision by Stefan NOT to ride in the PL..?

The PL's loss is the NL's gain and tbh. I can see more of this happening with the best young Brits able to score heavily (equalling good points money at the right club...) in the third tier and having that fantastic opportunity now given them as reserves in the Elite.

At the moment, under such a set up, the PL may well become a place such young Brits choose to ignore...

Seems a bit daft to me though that some riders will be racing in the top and bottom tiers but not the middle one. The idea of the EL draft (putting aside the cost cutting argument) is to give our youngsters a great opportunity to progress and to do that while racing in the NL but not the PL is a contradiction IMO. Riders like Stefan, Josh Bates, Max Clegg and Joe Jacobs should be guaranteed PL spots somehow and those who aren't interested in the PL really shouldn't be in the EL draft.

Of course the ideal if the rider is able to do it is to ride in all three tiers. Really looking forward to seeing how Lewis Rose progresses this season in those circumstances.

• Like 1

When Brundle rode the rule of continuing in the nl was not in place so totally different circumstances.

• Like 1

....and those who aren't interested in the PL really shouldn't be in the EL draft.

Hmm, seems though that far too often (an example being how Somerset treated Stefan last year..) the PL ain't interested in young British riders..

Chickens have come home to roost!

• Like 2

Hmm, seems though that far too often (an example being how Somerset treated Stefan last year..) the PL ain't interested in young British riders..

Chickens have come home to roost!

Wasn't the draft originally planned for the PL?

The PL promoters weren't interested.

Think that says it all really.

• Like 1

Wasn't the draft originally planned for the PL?

The PL promoters weren't interested.

Think that says it all really.

A sad but not unexpected situation

Will miss you around Mildenhall next season mate, winter well :D

Ryan Terry-Daley went well in the New Zealand U21 Final yesterday.... was unbeaten from his heats, but missed out on the final when he missed the gate in his Semi-Final and could only finish 3rd.....

Certainly looked a good gater on his showing, may possibly require a bit more speed in machinery, but hopefully the year for the Storm will help him out.

• Like 1

Ryan missed the gate in the semi final as the sun caught his eye at the wrong moment, and as for the speed, he will have plenty come march. This will be a big year for ryan

• Like 1

So who rates the Storms chances this year? If im honest I dont know an awful lot about some of the NL riders but this side looks very good to me.

Edited by woz01