British Speedway Forum
Jonny the spud

Isle Of Wight 2014

i think that might be a non starter now that football is being staged there again.

Thanks for that info as I live in the West Midlands not on the Island! That makes it a bit more of a problem for the management then!

After the cost of shortening and re-laying the track you'd still have to buy an air fence so I doubt that there would be any saving.

I hope that young Bryn doesn't mind but I have copied his press release from IOW Supporters Facebook page.

"WILL THE WIGHTLINK ISLANDERS FUTURE BECOME CLEARER AFTER TONIGHT?

That's the question being asked by all connected with our Speedway club as they look ahead to tonight's shareholders AGM that gets underway in the Premier Lounge at the Smallbrook stadium at 7pm.

Most who follow the exciting, family orientated sport of speedway will know that we and all other clubs have been instructed by the sport's authorities that they must have air-fence protection in place at both ends of the race track before the beginning of next March to allow a club to continue to operate.

That's understandable as any measure to provide extra protection to the riders that thrill us when racing their highly tuned 500cc motorbikes with no brakes around circuits such as ours must be welcomed but air-fences are expensive.

An update on the cost of buying and installing such a fence at Smallbrook is expected to be given at tonight's meeting as one item on the agenda is listed as, "Air-Fence and the cost of running Speedway."

No doubt there'll be plenty of discussion on these and many other points tonight and hopefully there'll be some positive news to report tomorrow."

Let us hope that tonights meeting is well attended by as many shareholders as possible and a way is found not only to fund the air fence, but how to increase attendances at the home meetings. The IOW provides a unique speedway experience in terms of getting there and also seeing speedway run by people with such a passion to make it work. It is a fast track that when well prepared provides such great racing in a stadium that some clubs would die for and British speedway cannot afford to lose it. Let's hope for positive news but it will be a difficult meeting for sure.

Share This: facebook.png twitter.png

Did anyone on here attend the AGM tonight?

The silence is deafening!

Anybody with any clues as to what occured and what is the plan (plans), if any, for 2014?

The silence is deafening!

Anybody with any clues as to what occured and what is the plan (plans), if any, for 2014?

Press release is now on the BSPA website. It is wait and see until the AGM's are done.

Press release is now on the BSPA website. It is wait and see until the AGM's are done.

Cheers.

I think we all knew the outcome. Why didn't they just wait ?

I think we all knew the outcome. Why didn't they just wait ?

When you read the article on the IOW County Press Online posted below, it is a different story. Now we all know how press articles can get distorted but it appears far more serious than just waiting for the outcome of the two AGM's. The club clearly needs some additional support to keep going and for the sake of speedway in the UK, option 1 is not one that should be contemplated but it is not my money that has been put in to keep it going this year.

"SPEEDWAY fans have been given a month to come up with a plan to save their cash-strapped side.

At the club’s AGM last night (Tuesday), after almost three hours of discussion, it was agreed to postpone any decisions until December 17, after the AGM of British Speedway’s National League.

The options for Wightlink Islanders tabled so far are to fold the club, run it on a shoestring budget or find a single benefactor or sponsor.

The sheer cost of running the team, falling crowd numbers, and the cost of installing an air fence — a compulsory rule-change to improve safety for riders — are the reasons behind the need to decide.

• To read a full report of the meeting, see the Friday, November 15, County Press".

• Like 1

With changes afoot in the EL and whatever is happening behind the scenes as hinted on Facebook One wonders if this years riders are getting a tad nervous about finding team spots with the amount of time this appears to be taking.

I read in the Speedway Star - thanks to Bromley, Kent, WHS - that Chris Hunt has/is severing his links with IoW. And there was a mention of crowds of 100-120.

Does any IoW follower know more - or can make it clear that an OAP misread these facts?