British Speedway Forum
Jonny the spud

Isle Of Wight 2014

After my many visits to the Island can I ask a question that nobody seems to have come up with? Would it be cheaper to shorten/narrow the overall width of the track, if allowed, and then put in a smaller air fence? I know the Island has always been large but to survive thinking out of the box may have to be the answer. Hope to see the Islanders in 2014 against the Heathens!

fnd a way to get more suppoters will help....keep the track as is

fnd a way to get more suppoters will help....keep the track as is

As CityRebel pointed out a while ago, my question about altering the track size cannot be thought of as the arena is also being used for football again! Not a starter, so I just hope the IoW will be back in '14 and good luck with the money raising! Edited by berniev123
  • Like 1

It's now CRUNCH TIME in terms of the continuance of speedway on the Isle of Wight as the holding company's shareholders i.e. the fans, gather at Smallbrook to continue their AGM following no decisions being reached when they last met in November. Will the sport be staged on the island this year or will it cease?

I'm just about to set off from here in Kent for tonight's meeting over there that gets underway at 7pm - undoubtedly the most important meeting in the club's history!

I fervently hope for a positive outcome but whether that hope becomes a reality, well we'll just have to wait and see what is ultimately decided tonight!

Edited by Bryn

It's now CRUNCH TIME in terms of the continuance of speedway on the Isle of Wight as the holding company's shareholders i.e. the fans, gather at Smallbrook to continue their AGM following no decisions being reached when they last met in November. Will the sport be staged on the island this year or will it cease?

I'm just about to set off from here in Kent for tonight's meeting over there that gets underway at 7pm - undoubtedly the most important meeting in the club's history!

I fervently hope for a positive outcome but whether that hope becomes a reality, well we'll just have to wait and see what is ultimately decided tonight!

Fingers crossed that a resolution can be found.It would be great if IOW and another Club could come into League for a nice round 10. :lol::D

I fervantly hope that a way forward can be found, however i fear the worst, especially seeing as IOW stalwart and captain Ben Hopwood has reportedly signed for Stoke, Daryll has gone to Kings Lynn, Brendan to Mildenhall, all that remains from the Team are Brandon Freemantle, Chris Widman, and Danny Stoneman. So it seems the riders themselves can see the writing on the wall.

It's just 10pm here - and I look forward to a positive comment in regard to the future of the IoW. My original interest in the side started years ago through a South London neighbour who is well known to Smallbrook followers - Ray Morton.

Anyway, it's fingers crossed for good news.

no news ?

No. I am presuming(don't know) that the BSPA will be informed before releasing any news to the wider world. There has been a lot of work going on everywhere to keep the club alive and there was even a big pledge today from across the water but whether it is enough to sway the verdict I don't know. It is disappointing that it has been left so late to take action since more could have been done before the season ended.

I have also posted this comment in Speedway News and Discussions forum:

The strap line on the IoW website says no decision was reached at the December 17 meeting with another to be held in January. A Press Release is scheduled for later.

We must all hope that this will give time for the club to work out a survival plan.

Edited by Guest

I sincerely hope that the pledge comes to fruition and the club can be saved. Will be watching the outcome with bated breath.

Off the Wightlink Islanders Unofficial website:

http://www.iowislanders.co.uk/news/2013/201312/20131218_No_news_could_well_prove_to_be_good_news_for_the_Islanders.html

NO NEWS COULD WELL PROVE TO BE GOOD NEWS FOR THE WIGHTLINK ISLANDERS!

By Isle of Wight Speedway | Wednesday 18th December 2013

A firm decision from the club's shareholders regarding the immediate future of the Wightlink Islanders speedway team was the widely anticipated outcome of a meeting held in the Premier Lounge at Smallbrook Stadium last night. However after much lively debate, a somewhat dramatic development during the course of the meeting itself, and with the club having been given until January 31st to inform the British Speedway Promoters Association as to whether or not they intend to operate National league racing in 2014, such a decision has been further deferred.

It was agreed that it will now definitely be reached at a further shareholders meeting that will take place on Tuesday January 21st commencing at 7.00pm to allow all options to be explored further by club chairman Brian Ginders including his agreement to a shareholder's suggestion last night that he seek talks with an Elite League club about the possibility of them assisting in some way.

However the main interest will focus on behind the scenes talks that will now be sought by the club's board of directors as soon as possible with a non- shareholder who, having heard of the possibility of speedway racing not taking place at Smallbrook next year, made contact during last night's meeting to apparently express their desire to get involved financially with the Wightlink Islanders to help secure the club's future both in the short and long term.

At this stage details on this third party are somewhat sketchy as you might imagine given the circumstances so at the moment it might possibly prove to be the case that no news is good news!

Edited by Guest

I just hope the person concerned can help to save the IOW, be it either as a loan or an investment in the Club, I know its difficult to get people to watch Speedway on the Island, but Im sure with the right promotional activities and perhaps sponsorship of some kind, it must be possible for IOW to attract attendances of 200+ on a regular basis, even if it means tying up with a local company (Wightlink)to help even more, in this respect. At least now there seems more hope for the future of IOW.

Can I just make clear to avoid any possible confusion that what is now on the totally unofficial IOW website is, as are the vast majority of articles on that site, a copy of the Official club press release. This latest one yours truly typed and distributed at 7am this morning in my voluntary capacity as the club's PRO. It will also appear on the club's official website in due course adding that the webmaster of that does work full time.

• Like 1

Can I just make clear to avoid any possible confusion that what is now on the totally unofficial IOW website is, as are the vast majority of articles on that site, a copy of the Official club press release. This latest one yours truly typed and distributed at 7am this morning in my voluntary capacity as the club's PRO. It will also appear on the club's official website in due course adding that the webmaster of that does work full time.

I am sure everyone appreciates the clarification of this matter. Thank you Bryn.