British Speedway Forum
2ndbendbeerhut

Speedway At The Crossroads

I think in order for the EL to be a success. it needs to be regulated the way the Polish Leagues and Swedish Leagues regulate there's. With the use of British Under 21 riders as reserves at each club and keep them as reserves for the whole season. it would also mean our young riders are given track time which will aid their development.

Would it cut costs though?

Would it not be fair to presume that is part of the reason?

Would it not be fair to presume that is part of the reason?

Not if it's intended to retain the top riders (as stated).
  • Like 1

I don’t believe the promoters would ever go for this, but this is how I would do things.

Bring the two leagues together and bring up Dudley, giving a total of 24 teams. I don’t believe that we cannot find a way of setting team strengths that would enable every team to remain solvent.

Split the 24 teams into 4 divisions of 6. Doesn’t really matter what you call them.

North

Glasgow

Edinburgh

Berwick

Newcastle

Redcar

Workington

Central

Birmingham

Wolves

Belle Vue

Scunthorpe

Sheffield

Dudley

East

Coventry

Peterboro

Kings Lynn

Leicester

Ipswich

Rye House

South

Swindon

Poole

Eastbourne

Lakeside

Somerset

Plymouth

Each division would rode home and away twice against the teams in their home division and once against one of the other divisions. This would rotate and so each team would visit your home track at least once every three years. Travelling would be greatly reduced and each team would have 16 home and 16 away league fixtures.

The winner of each division would qualify for the playoffs.

Six qualifying groups for 4TT.

National KO Cup with an open draw.

Guests cannot be “borrowed” from another team in your division, so eliminating the obvious conflict of interest.

Riders championship would see top 2 from each team (48 in all). Three qualifiers with top 5 and highest 6th place qualifying for the final. Keep riders interested and showing up by given the highest placed non GP rider the wild card to the British GP (wherever they come from).

A team that does not qualify for the play offs and loses in the first round of the cup would get 18 home meetings.

A team that gets to the play off final and the KO cup final and hosts a riders championship qualifying round could have as many as 25 home meetings.

• Like 1

Not if it's intended to retain the top riders (as stated).

I wasn't aware that any official decision had yet been made on that subject.

I wasn't aware that any official decision had yet been made on that subject.

"as stated" in the post to which I responded.

"as stated" in the post to which I responded.

Fair enough, so I can now stop looking to see where that has been stated officially.

• Like 1

I know posters mean well but really forget regionalisation - it would just make the sport look crappy

the general public would equate it with the Conference North or something and assume its local team wasn't good enough to be in a national league

besides travel within this country isn't really the problem

I know posters mean well but really forget regionalisation - it would just make the sport look crappy

the general public would equate it with the Conference North or something and assume its local team wasn't good enough to be in a national league

At 1.34 per litre, and midweek meetings,it most certainly is.

Generally speaking, fans don't travel though. Local opponents generate higher attendances. The sport is on life support and needs to generate revenue. Judging by current attendances, the general public think the sport looks pretty crappy as it is.

Generally speaking, fans don't travel though. Local opponents generate higher attendances. The sport is on life support and needs to generate revenue. Judging by current attendances, the general public think the sport looks pretty crappy as it is.

Sorry alanf and greyhoundp i meant the riders not the fans

my experience is that travelling fans are a fraction what they were and i never even thought about them so low are their numbers usually

i stand by my opinion about the message regional leagues sends of 'non national', therefore not premium, competition

obviously local derbies will attract a few more fans

Edited by ch958

I think it has already achieved that particular goal. :sad: :sad: :sad:

• Like 1

I agree to a point, but if what you are saying is 100% true then the NL would be getting higher gates than the EL, wouldn't they??

they do at dudley
  • Like 1

they do at dudley

thats true but Shaleshaker's argument doesn't bear scrutiny because many NL teams are small (Buxton) or 2nd teams (Coventry)