British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

The thing what makes me laugh is Poland invests 10s of thousands in there polish under 21s on equipment and tracktime, you'd be lucky if your boy gets 10 pence and a couple of laps on press and practice day ,bspa and others can dress it all the like but until they pay them at least a decent rate on par with Johnny foreigner ( so they can compete machinery wise )your peaing head wind same old $hit where Brits are concerned

Comparing British speedway with that of Poland, is like comparing chalk with cheese. The two scenarios are worlds apart. Over here clubs are private enterprise and are the responsibility of the Owner/Promoter. Over there they are a corporate entity and governed by Council and Towns. Sponsorship is included into the cost of the facilities that Corporate companies provide like Electric, Gas, Power, Dust carts etc. British sports are a world apart from them and it is wrong to use them as a yard stick.

As for the costs for the reserves, this is a difficult one. I believe the club should help the rider, but the rider shouldn't be in a situation where every cost is covered without having to perform well. On the face of it, a guarantee of £120 /meeting seems adequate. On a good night a reserve could earn £3-400 a night, multiply that by 4 and he's on a good earner. If the rider don't perform as he should, he's no good for the club or himself.

• Like 3

Not possible i'm afraid he's ready another clubs asset. I hope the £40 a point is all that's on offer as it would seriously hamper the ability to keep equipment at the level needed to remain competetive. Being able to do all three divisions would also help development/ ability etc.

Hopefully Lakeside will give Adam the same sort of assistance that they undoubtably will be to Bech.

I certainly would like to see him back at Foxhall.

There is a spark of something extra in Adam that not everyone has .

Where that exists in a youngster British Speedway must nuture that if it is to have any chance of regaining a position higher up the world pecking order.

• Like 1

As for the costs for the reserves, this is a difficult one. I believe the club should help the rider, but the rider shouldn't be in a situation where every cost is covered without having to perform well. On the face of it, a guarantee of £120 /meeting seems adequate. On a good night a reserve could earn £3-400 a night, multiply that by 4 and he's on a good earner. If the rider don't perform as he should, he's no good for the club or himself.

And there's the crux, and that's where this idea will ultimately fail.

Comparing British speedway with that of Poland, is like comparing chalk with cheese. The two scenarios are worlds apart. Over here clubs are private enterprise and are the responsibility of the Owner/Promoter. Over there they are a corporate entity and governed by Council and Towns. Sponsorship is included into the cost of the facilities that Corporate companies provide like Electric, Gas, Power, Dust carts etc. British sports are a world apart from them and it is wrong to use them as a yard stick.

I was pointing out that the young poles are so good because they are heavily invested in , do you think the bspa are thinking of themselves or the rider development , only 1 way this will work and that's invest in the Brits, paying them 40 quid a ain't investing its taking liberties ,your living in cloud cuckoo land

I was pointing out that the young poles are so good because they are heavily invested in , do you think the bspa are thinking of themselves or the rider development , only 1 way this will work and that's invest in the Brits, paying them 40 quid a ain't investing its taking liberties ,your living in cloud cuckoo land

Where is the money coming from other than revenue from ever dwindling attendances at speedway meetings?

Edited by Guest

Not at all. The sport in this country is in dire straits. The only financial source available is what come through the turnstiles. In a ideal world it would be wonderful to throw money at these youngster in the hope they will make it, but that's not the case.

So nobody is taking any liberties, nor living in cloud cuckoo land, its called the real world and we all have to live in it.

• Like 2

Not at all. The sport in this country is in dire straits. The only financial source available is what come through the turnstiles. In a ideal world it would be wonderful to throw money at these youngster in the hope they will make it, but that's not the case.

So nobody is taking any liberties, nor living in cloud cuckoo land, its called the real world and we all have to live in it.

Fully agree. I thought lower order riders were on less than that in the NL and PL anyway? And no guarantees.

The money side is a massive problem in this stupid rule ..we all know that certain teams will offer these kids more money than £120 anyhow ..what happens when Kerr say it's told to go to Eastie and just says no because the money is not right etc .

Edited by orion

The money side is a massive problem in this stupid rule ..we all know that certain teams will offer these kids more money than £120 anyhow ..what happens when Kerr say it's told to go to Eastie and just says no because the money not right etc .

Exactly. The riders should choose where they want to be not a stupid draft system. It's just unaffordable at £120 minimum

If I was a drafted rider that had to travel 100's of miles knowing I'm only likely to earn £120 I'd just touch the tapes in all rides and wait to be fired and try to make the other league's pay.

Exactly. The riders should choose where they want to be not a stupid draft system. It's just unaffordable at £120 minimum

If I was a drafted rider that had to travel 100's of miles knowing I'm only likely to earn £120 I'd just touch the tapes in all rides and wait to be fired and try to make the other league's pay.

Indeed also what happens also when after the draft a rider decides that he no longer what's to ride for that club ..how can he be fairly replaced ? the folly of this rule will only be shown as these sort of things crop up during the season .

• Like 1

What about this new Parliamentary MPs Group? Isn't one of the supposed advantages of such a group to be able to source new financial grants to assist young riders in sport? Maybe this is an ideal opportunity for the Parliamentary Group to prove its worth!!! :t:

So likewise the top boys should be on £40 a point. the likes of Darcy, Greg and NKI etc should be averaging 13 points a meeting, far more than the reserves, so they if anything should be paid less per point. But, allegedly Hancock was on £5000 a meeting last year, why? Most of these top boys are sponsored for their equipment and bikes, the boys at the bottom aren't.

• Like 1

I'm all for that. I think the BSPA should lay down the guidelines of the reserves and then leave it to the Promoters and Riders to sort out. Having people to delegate who and where they ride just complicates the whole scenario.

So likewise the top boys should be on £40 a point. the likes of Darcy, Greg and NKI etc should be averaging 13 points a meeting, far more than the reserves, so they if anything should be paid less per point. But, allegedly Hancock was on £5000 a meeting last year, why? Most of these top boys are sponsored for their equipment and bikes, the boys at the bottom aren't.

I am of the same feelings as you. I believe the British League cannot afford these top riders. Hancock getting £5K a meeting is plain ridiculous. That money, could have been spent far more useful then that. In a way that benefited the sport and the youngsters.

But they can still throw money at flying in Europes garbage when it suits them. The sport has wasted a fortune on foreign rubbish instead of investing in its own.

Now they want the kids they never gave a toss about to prop up the dying EL because that money for useless foreigners is drying up.

How can those kids become anywhere near competetive when they are fed peanuts compared to what was wasted on other countries dross.

They can still find cash to fly in the Michael Bech's of this world but insult thier own by expecting them to ride for handouts.

600 quid a week sounds great but how much do the riders really end up with out of that after riding in say 2 leagues and trying to be competetive and also learning something from the experience.

And then folks wonder why Promoters don't read or get involved with the BSF.

Yes but that's the rub we know they do read the BSF, more often under aliases because they continually moan about what's said on here.

We even have ex promoters posting on here don't we Tsunami

Edited by bigcatdiary
  • Like 1