British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

########### STOP PRESS #############

Just heard that the Yellow kerb paint plan for 2014 season has been "canned"!!

Very laudible of Ford but the most glaringly obvious failing of the so called promoters is that they always try to solve the problems with a 3 day booze up/get together at the end of the season.

The problems have been obvious now for years and they should have been discussing this among themselves all this season and been able to come to this p#ss up with a solid agenda for change that had been discussed among themselves in small groups over the season.

They should already have a blueprint for the sport's future and use this 3 day bash to ratiffy and fine tune it.

This meeting of minds (now that is a laugh) is akin to waiting until you have been tied to the firing post as the firing squad line up and at the command 'Aim' suddenly manage to raise a hand and say 'ah yes but wait a minute I think I might have a solution to my innocence'.

3 days is nowhere near enough to solve the sports problems. And now discussing solutions (Brit only reserves) that have been raised here for years whilst slagging off people here as fringe lunatics shows how inept this bunch of clowns are.

'Hinted at' and 'could be discussed' this is the level of ineptitude we have in UK speedway.

The wolf is at the door and he is huffing and puffing and the cardboard house that is British Speedway looks like it is about to be blown down by it's own greed and maladroitness so it's a bit late ringing up a bricklayer.

Brit reserves is an absolute must for speedway here and should have been implemented 10 year ago.

But it won't save the sport and be like trying to save the Titanic with a session of prayer.

The sport is too expensive for both rider, promoter and spectator. The current product is not worth the cost.

Costs need to come down markedly but enetertainment value needs to improve radically.

Promoters need to promote and leave the paying customer feeling like they have had 2 hours of entertainment.

It's not a pipedream as I have attended many a meeting where we got just that.

Look to the past to secure some kind of future whilst incorporating the modern era of marketing and social networking to bring the sport to the attention of the many rather than the few.

But the danger is that in bringing the sport to the many that 'the many' realise how Mickey Mouse it really is and how stupid those that profess to run it really are.

That is the challenge for the promoters.

Improve the sport, cut the cost but enhance the experience and stop looking like the bunch of greedy, spiteful, incompetent fools you really are.

More for less may sound frightening to such a motley crew but it may well save your worthless arces if you manage to pull it off.

But of course we all know what will happen as we have all seen these pointless p#ss ups come and go.

Reduction in points and increase in prices blah blah bloody blah.

How about making the races 5 laps? Thats nearly the same as having nearly an extra 5 races..... But wont add much more time to the meeting!!

I find it incredible that Terry Russell finds it unfortunate that Final decisions regarding next season have to be made this weekend,is he in the real world!!! World Speedway doesn't revolve around HIS negotiations with Sky.What a plonker with self interest the only thing that seems to concern him.

• Like 1

I find it incredible that Terry Russell finds it unfortunate that Final decisions regarding next season have to be made this weekend,is he in the real world!!! World Speedway doesn't revolve around HIS negotiations with Sky.What a plonker with self interest the only thing that seems to concern him.

I don't think Mr Russell is a plonker mate. In a sence he's right, because otherwise you are totally in the dark as to reguards team building and who you can have and can't have. TV money for a lot of clubs unfortunately is a must. also without TV money sponsorship will drop and re- signing the likes of Darcy will be that much harder.

• Like 1

I don't think Mr Russell is a plonker mate. In a sence he's right, because otherwise you are totally in the dark as to reguards team building and who you can have and can't have. TV money for a lot of clubs unfortunately is a must. also without TV money sponsorship will drop and re- signing the likes of Darcy will be that much harder.

your entitled to your opinion but surely he knows that British Speedway needs riders signed up for next season before they commit themselves to other Countries and were are left with the dregs.He should have been negotiating with Sky long before now regarding their intentions instead of being fobbed off with the excuse that contract doesn't end until the end of the year.They need to take lessons from other Sports. A lot of people seem to obsessed about TV MONEY but in reality it should just be a bonus for the Sport if the sport was run properly.
  • Like 5

Is it possible that Sky (or whichever other TV company) is waiting until after th AGM to show their hand?

If the leauges are set a a mor fiscal level, then surely they would be thinking of bidding less for the TV rights.?

Terry and Ronnie russell, squabbles?? Your average punter who turns up and watches don't even know who these people are

They pay their money, watch, realise its not worth the money and don't go back

There is certainly some truth in that statement.

Is it possible that Sky (or whichever other TV company) is waiting until after th AGM to show their hand?

If the leauges are set a a mor fiscal level, then surely they would be thinking of bidding less for the TV rights.?

Possibly,buy SKY hold the upper hand in any negotiations IMO as speedway needs SKY more than SKY needs speedway.

• Like 3

I am just updating some stats for a book I last did about four years back, a companion for the Peter Oakes' British Speedway Leagues. Out of interest, mine covers 1991-09 (hopefully it will be up to date shortly). However, cutting to the chase, having not really taken much interest in different competitions in recent years, I am left head-scratching at some of the antics employed to try and sprinkle a little sparkle into speedway.

We have the end-of-season Play-Off for the Play Offs... The four points for a big win, three for a big win but with a full team... it is too confusing for a casual bystander who wants to just watch a sport for what it is. If I knew what a sugar rush was, I would say all the fixtures - all the Cup Finals - at one main point in the season is too much.

Weather being what it is, why have so many prime matches in October? It is too much to take.

Have we got so many competitions so, a bit like being at junior school, all the kids have chance to win something?

And don't get me started on what rider belongs to whcih team... At times I think we're back in WW2 years, when any rider that turned up would get a ride at active tracks.

• Like 1

TV money 'distorts' the economics of the sport and can also be a malign influence regarding the introduction of 'gimmicks' (not all gaining universal fan approval). The promoters would do well to formulate their business models without reliance on TV monies (which may well not materialise anyway) - they also need to interact better with the their fan base.

########### STOP PRESS #############

Just heard that the Yellow kerb paint plan for 2014 season has been "canned"!!

How about making the races 5 laps? Thats nearly the same as having nearly an extra 5 races..... But wont add much more time to the meeting!!

At some tracks I wont mention, it would be best to have 60 one lap races, cos bugger all happens after that...

• Like 1

The BSPA have decided that they are trying to sell a product, the product is called speedway. They have to sell the product to their customers (there called Fans). Having consulted many large successful businesses for advice, they have decided to package their product on what their customers (Fans) actually want. What our customers want, said a BSPA spokesperson, can easily be found from various web sites and the trade magazine Speedway Star. The spokesman said "I know this is a "Thinking Out Of The Box", idea, but if we give the customers what they are asking for, we have a good chance of more of them actually paying to buy the product.

• Like 3

I've heard already today, that one huge change is the white line/kerb will no longer be white... as of the start of the 2014 season they all must be painted yellow, proper yellow, not lemon, amber, proper road markings yellow. Any team failing to comply will be fined and docked 11 league points per offence.. (has to be re coated prior the the start of every meeting.

Looks like I need sponsorship from a local Indian restaurant to add turmeric to the flour for the bends at Ashfield!

• Like 1

Think needs to be a fair pay limit or point decrease to make it a fairer playing field

The BSPA have decided that they are trying to sell a product, the product is called speedway. They have to sell the product to their customers (there called Fans). Having consulted many large successful businesses for advice, they have decided to package their product on what their customers (Fans) actually want. What our customers want, said a BSPA spokesperson, can easily be found from various web sites and the trade magazine Speedway Star. The spokesman said "I know this is a "Thinking Out Of The Box", idea, but if we give the customers what they are asking for, we have a good chance of more of them actually paying to buy the product.

Whilst not disagreeing, I would say it is just as important, or perhaps even more so, to pitch the product at trying to attract possible new fans as the traditional ones, unfortunately, are diminishing every season. Unfortunately this probably means introducing gimmicks which present fans may not like. But sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. Cricket did.

• Like 1