British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

Just a couple of points.

Johnny the Spud.

There is no conflict at the club as those of us who wanted to continue to work in a new way, and continue what we started last winter, but were not allowed to by the co-promoter, have left the club. It's a shame but we wish the riders and fans of the club all the best in the future.

Iris123.

You would have thought so, but they didn't want to know. We had all the stats from hits per day, per week, per month and unique hits for all those date ranges. We did online surveys, we had a marketing plan. Unfortunately the co-promoter wouldn't listen. His attitude is put on speedway and they will come.

Forgetting the first meeting, where our strategic marketing campaign and use of radio, internet, social media helped to swell the crowd to over 4000 people, crowds dropped all year as our ideas and campaigns were dropped one by one.

And as Jonny the Spud states there is now no news, now the press officer has been told there will be no news from mid November to mid January.

Marketing campaigns must run all year round, you cannot be silent for a quarter of the year.

Quiet right.What is going on at Kings.Not a lot by the silence coming from Central Park.

Foamfence you are so deluded. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Why is he deluded? You asked earlier if I was I'll? After I posted something. Yes is the answer to that, I'm only replying now as I've calmed down. So be careful what you say a I'm well enough to kick someone's backside.

Edited by West Row misfit
  • Like 1

Indeed nothing has changed, so, be it because they were 'hiding in the dark' ooooooh! or whatever the inane reason for the capes was - i can only say...... i've yet to see Manchester United or any top/professional sports team come on to the field in such a manner. Yes the wrestling pantomime in America will likely do it but i'm talking about actual competitive sport and not entertainment shows.

For someone who gets all excited over programmes, it's strange you didn't embrace the naffness to be fair.

Comparing the sport to a football team entering the field is a bit daft. However, i CAN remember on one of my perhaps dozen trips to new york in winter time, the New York Rangers Nhl team being introduced in a not to dissimilar way. Perhaps not with the capes, but to be fair, they wouldnt have been needed in a near pitch black Madison Square Garden. Now thats a pretty major sports team.

Anyway, i'll let the geeks carry on with this topic.

Kind regards.

• Like 2

Quiet right.What is going on at Kings.Not a lot by the silence coming from Central Park.

This sounds familier to Rye supporters and could be because uncle Len is away on the ski slopes till then!

For someone who gets all excited over programmes, it's strange you didn't embrace the naffness to be fair.

Comparing the sport to a football team entering the field is a bit daft. However, i CAN remember on one of my perhaps dozen trips to new york in winter time, the New York Rangers Nhl team being introduced in a not to dissimilar way. Perhaps not with the capes, but to be fair, they wouldnt have been needed in a near pitch black Madison Square Garden. Now thats a pretty major sports team.

Anyway, i'll let the geeks carry on with this topic.

Kind regards.

My local Ice Hockey team also come out in a similar manner.Darkened arena and spot light as they come out of an oversized inflatible head of a hockey player.Builds up the atmosphere and the crowds of between 7-12,000(not to be sniffed at)seem to love it

• Like 2

You missed out the mockery of 'playing the Joker' and scoring double points when loosing! Trying to explain to my non-speedway wife, why a team should be allowed to score double points just because they are loosing was very difficult.

I did not mention the "joker" because I've not heard the term used for the tac sub rule for eons, except in the SWC.

Personally, if a team gets that far behind, a point scoring enhancement is ok with me, perhaps there should be additional punishment if its used and fails? Say double points for the win only? 0 points if the tactical rider finishes anywhere else in the race?

Hi Nikko you may have gone fishing but I think if the opportunity arose to give you an opening to return you would do so, likewise Paul.

What concerns me is who replaces the two of you and who is in a position to take things forward, because there was definitely back-pedalling during the season?

A club as new as Kent Kings needs strong professionals (albeit as unpaid) to keep moving it forward, apart from facebook, where else do the punters get a chance to integrate, as there is no other social forum to my knowledge?

I may be wrong, but I understand that the club approved photographers have also joined you and Paul, though I have not seen that publicly pronounced as were your departures.

No doubt there will be speedway there next season but will it be controlled by Len or Roger, the big question?

Hi Nikko you may have gone fishing but I think if the opportunity arose to give you an opening to return you would do so, likewise Paul.

What concerns me is who replaces the two of you and who is in a position to take things forward, because there was definitely back-pedalling during the season?

A club as new as Kent Kings needs strong professionals (albeit as unpaid) to keep moving it forward, apart from facebook, where else do the punters get a chance to integrate, as there is no other social forum to my knowledge?

I may be wrong, but I understand that the club approved photographers have also joined you and Paul, though I have not seen that publicly pronounced as were your departures.

No doubt there will be speedway there next season but will it be controlled by Len or Roger, the big question?

You are obviously a very well informed person.

As it is on Facebook, and therefore in the public domain, yes I can confirm that ESA, the official track photographers also left the Kent Kings towards the end of the season and are no longer involved with the club.

As with my agreement with the web designers, ESA have kindly agreed, to date, to allow their photos to remain on the official site.

As with all sports photography the copyright belongs to the photographer, not the rider or club so considering what happened (which is not in the public domain) it is of great credit to ESA they allowed this.

With regards to next year, you would have to ask Parsoles/Derek as he is still involved and close to Mr Silver,

Why do things in Speedway ALWAYS seem to go pear shaped. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Edited by The White Knight

That would appear to be "the name of the game" in speedway,

That would appear to be "the name of the game" in speedway,

It certainly seems that way. :sad: :sad: :sad:

As with all sports photography the copyright belongs to the photographer, not the rider or club so considering what happened (which is not in the public domain) it is of great credit to ESA they allowed this.

Is that right? I would've thought that the position of Track Photographer would bring with it the requirement to supply photos to the club which the Club would then have some rights over..?

How does this work across the country with other clubs do people know?

Is that right? I would've thought that the position of Track Photographer would bring with it the requirement to supply photos to the club which the Club would then have some rights over..?

How does this work across the country with other clubs do people know?

All track photographers have to sign a licence with Go-Sp££d Int£rnational, which gives Terry the Tan the rights to all images. There's bound to be a photographer on here that can give you more details.

All track photographers have to sign a licence with Go-Sp££d Int£rnational, which gives Terry the Tan the rights to all images. There's bound to be a photographer on here that can give you more details.

Does that extend to NL?Just wondering.Seem to remember a few years back that Horton was claiming copyright on all Peterborough pics,regardless of home or away.Seem to think this ran into trouble.Conkers is the man to ask as he is track photographer at Belle Vue + Buxton i believe Edited by iris123

Just a couple of points.

Johnny the Spud.

There is no conflict at the club as those of us who wanted to continue to work in a new way, and continue what we started last winter, but were not allowed to by the co-promoter, have left the club. It's a shame but we wish the riders and fans of the club all the best in the future.

Iris123.

You would have thought so, but they didn't want to know. We had all the stats from hits per day, per week, per month and unique hits for all those date ranges. We did online surveys, we had a marketing plan. Unfortunately the co-promoter wouldn't listen. His attitude is put on speedway and they will come.

Forgetting the first meeting, where our strategic marketing campaign and use of radio, internet, social media helped to swell the crowd to over 4000 people, crowds dropped all year as our ideas and campaigns were dropped one by one.

And as Jonny the Spud states there is now no news, now the press officer has been told there will be no news from mid November to mid January.

Marketing campaigns must run all year round, you cannot be silent for a quarter of the year.

your comments are spot on and your opening night crowd is testament to the effort you put in and the execution of your plan..

what I do find strange is that this sport is genuinely 'unique' in that it (mostly) takes place in a city or town...

just imagine the concept of motorbike riders racing against each other in the middle of manchester? ridiculous thought....

well it happens, sometimes weekly!,

yet hardly anyone from manchester attends this 'event' as it is so poorly 'sold'...

the crowds dropped in your case because those in charge dismissed the notion that marketing mattered and crowds dropped off as the 'hype' and information did...

this year clubs in the EL have 18 meetings guaranteed, therefore EVERY match should be treated as a stand alone EVENT and marketed as such...

stock cars is successful at Belle Vue people say as it is infrequent and heavily marketed, however the speedway has zero marketing in comparison so maybe that is the reason speedway isnt 'successful'??..

I was in city centre manchester on thursday and market st. had several vendors giving out free 'Manchester Evening News's, there must have been 10 thousand copies in different locations and god knows how many people picked a paper up, how much would it cost for someone from BV to be stood along side giving out £10 special tickets?? there must be 20 - 25,000 people walk thru this street each day, approx 150,000 a week, surely 500 of which would use the ticket on a monday night? (even just out of curiosity!)...

locally the clubs should be hammering the message home EVERY week, giving out enough flyers, giving out promotional material, giving out free stickers, posters etc etc etc, basically brow beating people EVERY week, into knowing you exist and how they can come and see you, if 500 extra is the 'break even' figure you dont even need the same 500 every week, just get that number of people in!!.

(who cares if they dont understand the rules, its four riders screaming round a dirt track in a city centre with no brakes, what's not to like?)....

add in a well ran, up to date, professional looking, interactive website which reflects 'your brand' and 500 extra a night must be achievable?

EVERY meeting should be a stand alone EVENT, make it 'special', get people curious, hype it up with 'gimmicks', SELL the bloody thing!..

and they will come...(?)

• Like 2