British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

Elite League Draft Riders

By the same token you could also give him the benefit of the doubt and work on the principle he wasn't expecting to be picked on the other riders who were in front of him on the list and, therefore suffering from an element of shock. Maybe instant social media has it's draw backs.

What's actually been said?

What's actually been said?

Max was a little underwhelmed to be picked out by Leicester. Almost giving the impression he didn't know what was going on. I think the posts have been removed now

• Like 1

Max was a little underwhelmed to be picked out by Leicester. Almost giving the impression he didn't know what was going on. I think the posts have been removed now

As said in a previous post i also think that maybe max was alittle shocked at being picked at all,after all he is probably the youngest and least experienced rider on the list.give the kid some slack hes 16 and i'm sure he will do his bit just like he has done for dudley ...

Edited by bigred

As said in a previous post i also think that maybe max was alittle shocked at being picked at all,after all he is probably the youngest and least experienced rider on the list.give the kid some slack hes 16 and i'm sure he will do his bit just like he has done for dudley ...

The question was asked and I answered it.

How the hell are Simon Lambert and Lee smart draft picks?? They've been around for years and have plenty experience.

• Like 2

Whilst I understand this protected rider bit was where clubs had already secured an asset. I would have preferred a true draft system. No protected picks with team finishing bottom getting first pick in first round and then structured by who you picked for round 2.

Well to be honest Max only has himself to blame first of all for agreeing to it which he must have done and then not having the sense to actually take an interest in the process.

It shows a lack of enthusiasm for what is being done which seems to be endemic in our young riders.

Which probably explains why countries like Denmark produce a steady stream of speedway talent and we don't.

Of course the reasons for this draft are dubious, the pay poor and who knows if it will work or all fall apart by May but it's a chance to learn and progress and if a speedway rider wants to better himself he should grasp the chance with both hands or else he is just wasting his own time and everybody elses.

It takes a big person to slag off a 16 year old on a forum!

I think this actually shows what a half cocked idea the "draft" is; something that has been pushed through by the Elite League with little forethought (if any) and not enough time to explain the process or the implication of signing up for the draft to the very individuals it laughably claims to be helping.

If you were a young kid wanting to race speedway (16 years old is a boy actually)and you were told that you should sign up for something if you wanted a team place then I'd suggest 9 out of 10 would do it without thinking about the consequences of their decision. That is because young people often don't fully develop the ability to think through their decisions until well in to adulthood.

Who signed the form; the 16 year old or a Guardian/Parent?

I think this actually shows what a half cocked idea the "draft" is; something that has been pushed through by the Elite League with little forethought (if any) and not enough time to explain the process or the implication of signing up for the draft to the very individuals it laughably claims to be helping.

If you were a young kid wanting to race speedway (16 years old is a boy actually)and you were told that you should sign up for something if you wanted a team place then I'd suggest 9 out of 10 would do it without thinking about the consequences of their decision. That is because young people often don't fully develop the ability to think through their decisions until well in to adulthood.

If under 18, it needed to be signed by the parent/guardian aswell.

Edited by MrMungo
  • Like 1

Agreed.

I wouldn't expect many 16 year olds to make informed decisions on anything involving managing their lives. A talented 16 year old speedway rider is just interested in racing and is highly unlikely to be responsible for balancing the finances like most adults have to.

I don't know what he said, but can you imagine any 16 year old contemplating the cost of riding, what time he'll get home at night, or even where he's agreed to go next week. He just wants to race and probably doesn't have the slightest interest who is building the best team.

How the hell are Simon Lambert and Lee smart draft picks?? They've been around for years and have plenty experience.

Not of the EL they haven't.

lambert and smart are funny inclusions. been going backwards for a few years, not really the sort of riders who they were looking for in the draft i think. definitely just there to make up the numbers.

Amen to that. !!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Brady Kurtz to Poole soon somehow... Knocking bet :)

New foreigners cant double up if he signs for a PL team tho so hopeully wont be allowed ;-)