British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

Elite League Draft Riders

If by some ridiculous fiddle Kurtz is smuggled into the draft system (when did he ride in the NL?) then everybody needs to pick again.

The rule state that to be eligible for a 3 point average you have to have come through the NL. Kurtz has a 3 point average so I can only assume he rode NL and we all missed it.

The ideas of bringing young British riders into the equation has sure done a good job in equalising the teams out.

Looking at the teams already announced, they all appear to be consistent in that they all seem competitive, with strong heat leaders and new reserves.

This can only be good for the sport. If we can ensure all meetings are close and exciting, I'm sure the terraces will fill up. The last thing we want is predictable outcomes.

• Like 1

The ideas of bringing young British riders into the equation has sure done a good job in equalising the teams out.

Looking at the teams already announced, they all appear to be consistent in that they all seem competitive, with strong heat leaders and new reserves.

This can only be good for the sport. If we can ensure all meetings are close and exciting, I'm sure the terraces will fill up. The last thing we want is predictable outcomes.

Yes, lets have this won on the track, not off it.

The rule state that to be eligible for a 3 point average you have to have come through the NL. Kurtz has a 3 point average so I can only assume he rode NL and we all missed it.

I believe part of the Draft Rider agreement is that you have to commit to GB for 5 yrs, I cant see why Brady would want do that so I dont think the problem will arise.

• Like 1

I believe part of the Draft Rider agreement is that you have to commit to GB for 5 yrs, I cant see why Brady would want do that so I dont think the problem will arise.

I've spotted a potential loophole !!! Does the regulation state to be included in the draft you must commit to GB, or does it state to be eligible for a reserve spot you must commit to GB. If the former ..... only in Speedway !!!

Well its started already. Kurtz has been named to the Somerset team on a 3.00

So the rules have changed ..... and we all know what the next step is.

The BSPA surely aren't going to allow this?

I am all for bringing on British riders, but I don't think this is the right way to about it. Most of the riders in the draft are PL reserves, how are they expected to compete against EL riders. It may help the riders progress, but it won't improve the entertainment.

I am all for bringing on British riders, but I don't think this is the right way to about it. Most of the riders in the draft are PL reserves, how are they expected to compete against EL riders. It may help the riders progress, but it won't improve the entertainment.

They are mostly competing against each other, apart from second strings who are likely to be 3,4 or 5 point riders themselves.
  • Like 1

Well, I just hope he doesn't get to ride at Brandon whilst the dreadful Peter York is still there, as he couldn't pronounce the name Todd Kurtz correctly (amongst many others), so how he would cope with this one . . . . . . ? :neutral:

I've spotted a potential loophole !!! Does the regulation state to be included in the draft you must commit to GB, or does it state to be eligible for a reserve spot you must commit to GB. If the former ..... only in Speedway !!!

So the rules have changed ..... and we all know what the next step is.

The BSPA surely aren't going to allow this?

If Kurtz isnt on the list he cant be included.

The strength of control over the list is key.

Dont invite him to join the list and refuse if he asks - end of problem.

The more pressing issue is why he is on a 3 in the PL when he has ridden in the OZ U21 and in the Danish leagues.

Thats 2 categories that are outside him being classed as a British 3 pointer IMO. Just a case of whether he should be a 5 or a 7 rather than a 3.

Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv
  • Like 1

Everyone seems to be basing their opinions on last season's/previous rules and regs!!

Unless I've missed it (on the new Scb site) the new 2014 rules aren't out yet! We already know there will be changes to the race/heat format to accommodate the reserves - even though we don't yet know the finer detail! Whose to say that other changes are afoot and just awaiting final approval by the SCB?!

For example if Worrall is getting a 2.5% discount at BV - which he must be, otherwise BV only have 2.99 left for their final rider - then why? He's been riding since 2010/2011!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

If Kurtz isnt on the list he cant be included.

The strength of control over the list is key.

Dont invite him to join the list and refuse if he asks - end of problem.

The more pressing issue is why he is on a 3 in the PL when he has ridden in the OZ U21 and in the Danish leagues.

Thats 2 categories that are outside him being classed as a British 3 pointer IMO. Just a case of whether he should be a 5 or a 7 rather than a 3.

He shouldn't be a 3, but it appears the fight is going to be related to not restricting a British passport holder. So let's call his bluff and select him for GB.

Once gain we are going to witness promoters looking after themselves. He shouldn't be at Somerset on a 3. And it doesn't take an Einstein to recognise that Ford has him lined-up to partner Newman at reserve. If that were to happen I wonder what they other British reserves will think? I suspect most won't get involved and just get on with it, at least to begin with. Less sure how they will react when they are made scapegoats for a team losing because Newman and Kurtz are racking up the points against them. There are only so many riders to fill these 20 reserve places.

Am a little worried that the Brummies haven't sign one or two more in the top 5 yet but think its due to our lack of assets. As for all the moaning on here of cheating here there and everywhere, am just glad we have a points limit for the team each year (as its really the only sport you have to lose some of your team if you are successful). If we didn't with the financial clout of Poole and previously the panthers it would be a foregone conclusion. Hope Barker stays at Brummies really trier and will up his average in a weaker league next year.

Everyone seems to be basing their opinions on last season's/previous rules and regs!!

Unless I've missed it (on the new Scb site) the new 2014 rules aren't out yet! We already know there will be changes to the race/heat format to accommodate the reserves - even though we don't yet know the finer detail! Whose to say that other changes are afoot and just awaiting final approval by the SCB?!

For example if Worrall is getting a 2.5% discount at BV - which he must be, otherwise BV only have 2.99 left for their final rider - then why? He's been riding since 2010/2011!

This is the biggest problem with the AGM statement which never explains the rule changes which invariably leak out over winter and are not clarified until the rules appear sometime in February.

The BSPA are completely responsible for writing and implementing chapters 17 and 18 and also the BSPA MC have complete control over team approvals whether illegal under the rules or not.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if most of the promoters haven't got much idea of the new rule changes and how they are implemented, I dare say the star will be full of some disagreements regarding changes before the season starts next year.

• Like 1

he will eligible to ride in the NL though if he is classed as British and on a 3 point average..... Meaning he could sign for plymouths new venture and then ride for an EL team.... What's to stop him??

he must be, to be able to obtain a 3 point PL starting average.

I am a bit confused by this.

1) Brady is the brother of Todd??

2) both are Oz?

3) Did Todd get a reduction and does he have dual heritage?

There is NO WAY that Brady should be included in the EL draft as this is totally against what we are trying to achieve here.

• Like 1

I am a bit confused by this.

1) Brady is the brother of Todd??

2) both are Oz?

3) Did Todd get a reduction and does he have dual heritage?

There is NO WAY that Brady should be included in the EL draft as this is totally against what we are trying to achieve here.

Todd came in on a 3 and also had a small stint in the NL when he first came over, yes they are brothers and have an English grandparent I believe.

Edited by justspeedway
  • Like 1