British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

Elite League Draft Riders

I can see a fair few deciding that they're better off riding NL/PL, which could mean going down to NL second strings to fill the 20 slots. A good idea but maybe too much too soon to have two per team.

I understand them not being paid vasts amounts but £40 a point? Dont see how that will improve British riders. Edited by woz01

Wonder if Joe Haines is ready for a comeback no he could ride for Wolves and in the PL

Even if he is , he isnt the answer.

Well as the days go by the pathetic joke is left to continue getting worse by the day.Why would a young rider want to ride in the top league rather than the other 2 leagues & who are these riders?

No thought has gone into this & it's becoming ridiculous as the lack of information continues.

• Like 1

I understand them not being paid vasts amounts but £40 a point? Dont see how that will improve British riders.

That's less than in the premier league

It's also taking the piss.

• Like 2

Sounds like the Elite lge have just integrated a couple of NL heats into an EL match on the cheap. If this is an exercise to help young brits, why pay them peanuts, it should be Prem lge rates at the very least, if not more. These lads need investment, not shackles...

• Like 1

I think you should wait for the full detail of how the 'draft' riders will be rewarded financially and their associated costs covered. They cannot put that bad a deal on the table that no one would take it!

Irrespective of who goes where, I just think it's bloody fantastic that Poole have to finally track a couple of British Riders.

Fraud and The Lapdog must be spitting feathers!

They will likely have three British riders as they have promised Kyle Howarth a spot and you'd assume he is over qualified for a reserve spot. I actually think that is very good for British speedway. I don't think many people would argue that Poole are probably the best run team in the league (it's the other bits that people of a problem with). To have virtually half the team filled by promising youngsters at a club that is reputed to be popular for riders can only be a good thing when you consider British riders going forward.

• Like 1

Lewis Blackbird has tweeted that NL riders being promoted to NL will only get £40 a point! Surely that cant be right, for some that might be petrol money alone!

He also questioned if or not they will be guaranteed to be paid for a minimum of 3 points.

Only heard on the grapevine but the reserves are reported to be assured of £200 a meeting which is ok to cover travel costs, fuel and get a decent wage if they are riding three or four meetings a week in different leagues but the worrying thing for me is the costs incurred with the bikes.

If these riders are expected to ride in three leagues, they will need at least two bikes ready to go at all times and a few spare engines and parts just to keep going. Do riders like Adam Ellis, Ashley Morris etc have that sort of equipment now or do they have to fork out a five figure sum before the season starts and if so how many meetings will it take to cover those costs ?

Also if these riders are expeced to ride in 36 Eiite League matches, 28 Premier League matches and also National League meetings, who gets priority when there are a clash of dates ? ...... Also what facilities will be available to cover for these clashes ? ..... With these riders riding mainly against themselves and second strings, a rider like Lewis Blackbird or Adam Ellis could be averaging seven or eight points a meeting. Who are an EL team going to get to cover a rider scoring that each meeting ?

I feel it would have been more beneficial to have had all Premier League teams track British reserves and have the EL track just one at reserve which could have been shared equally by two riders taking a mimimum 6 home and 6 away each. However the PL have decided to turn a blind ee to these riders and maintain a list of foreign riders that are averaging well below their starting assessed averages and unlikely to ever reach that figure.

Edited by T.N.T.
  • Like 1

Only heard on the grapevine but the reserves are reported to be assured of £200 a meeting which is ok to cover travel costs, fuel and get a decent wage if they are riding three or four meetings a week in different leagues but the worrying thing for me is the costs incurred with the bikes.

Just to add, £200, minus income tax AND a mechanic's wage.

Why should PL sort the s##t the EL has got themselves in to??

Why should PL sort the s##t the EL has got themselves in to??

The EL is trying to sort the future of the youngsters in the UK, something that the PL cant be bothered with. It seems they are happy to have a foreigner doing the job instead. Someone has to start so the EL promoters should be applauded where the PL have failed.

• Like 4

The EL is trying to sort the future of the youngsters in the UK, something that the PL cant be bothered with. It seems they are happy to have a foreigner doing the job instead. Someone has to start so the EL promoters should be applauded where the PL have failed.

Perhaps you coukd list all the British riders who have ridden for Wolves this century - it shouldnt take long!

Perhaps you coukd list all the British riders who have ridden for Wolves this century - it shouldnt take long!

Tai Woffinden, Joe Haines, David Howe, William Lawson, James Grieves, Ben Wilson, Lee Smethills, Carl Wilkinson, Lee Complin, Joe Screen, Chris Neath, Ashley Morris. I`ll let you know when i think of some others from earlier in the century . ;-)

• Like 2

They will likely have three British riders as they have promised Kyle Howarth a spot and you'd assume he is over qualified for a reserve spot. I actually think that is very good for British speedway. I don't think many people would argue that Poole are probably the best run team in the league (it's the other bits that people of a problem with). To have virtually half the team filled by promising youngsters at a club that is reputed to be popular for riders can only be a good thing when you consider British riders going forward.

I think you mean best run club.. Which is correct.. :approve: