British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

Elite League Draft Riders

He knows a few & they're not interested & he usually is not far off the truth.

Guess we will have to wait & see as surely they wouldn't have assumed all would fall into plan without doing some enquires before?.

Would they?????????

I know a few....And they are ALL interested.

I know of at least 8 riders wanting to ride. And I bet there's another 12 willing

• Like 1

From what I was told today by a National League rider they might have their backs up against the wall if they think they will have a host of riders taking up the chance.It appears most that he knows are simply not interested.

Great to hear that ambition is still alive and kicking!

There is a difference between being ambitious and simply not being able to afford to do it for that money.A lot of time the guarantee is all you will receive as payment , not nearly enough to keep a bike competitive even without the odd mishap.

Junior

• Like 1

There is a difference between being ambitious and simply not being able to afford to do it for that money.A lot of time the guarantee is all you will receive as payment , not nearly enough to keep a bike competitive even without the odd mishap.

Junior

If they can't afford to do it then what's the point in riding speedway.......surely the goal is to be the best you can be,anyone with a burning ambition to be an elite league or gp rider would not give up this chance .

Perhaps its a British thing......can't see the Aussies giving up a chance like this if they were offered it.......they would make it happen.

• Like 3

Who's giving it up ? I've just committed a large amount of money to help a rider realise his ambition ..... Problem is. No ones called yet ?

See. Before passing judgement it's a wait and see game.

• Like 1

If they can't afford to do it then what's the point in riding speedway.......surely the goal is to be the best you can be,anyone with a burning ambition to be an elite league or gp rider would not give up this chance .

Perhaps its a British thing......can't see the Aussies giving up a chance like this if they were offered it.......they would make it happen.

I will leave it to you Spud , unlike some you know what the costs involved are.

Junior

I will leave it to you Spud , unlike some you know what the costs involved are.

Junior

Well if they are willing to step up to the EL they should be given all the help they can get to make it work for the sake of British speedway.

• Like 3

Andrew Tully will be 27 next May ... surely that's stretching "young" a bit too far!!

Lewis Blackbird will be 27 next February ...

• Like 1

The key words were ...... also riders with limited experience in the top flight.

This would most likely apply to Lewis Blackbrd rather than Andrew Tully.

• Like 1

The key words were ...... also riders with limited experience in the top flight.

This would most likely apply to Lewis Blackbrd rather than Andrew Tully.

The point I was trying to make is that age is irrelevant ... riders develop at different rates. John Louis didn't ride a speedway bike until he was 28!

To be fair, Tully has fairly limited experience in the "top flight" - although he is clearly a much more experienced rider than Blackbird.

I think the inception of British Riders into the reserves of the top league is a wonderful idea, and should benefit the home born riders. All the problems being posted are related to how it is going to be implemented. We have heard these riders called 'NL Riders' , 'Young British Riders', Riders with little Elite Experience', and to me , this is where all the problems lay.

I believe this idea of a British rider, cannot be age related, it should be open to all riders who want to go down that route. Rather than have someone delegating where these dominated riders ride or what grade they are, Why not concentrate on the guidelines and restraints of these positions, so each rider can choose which route he wants to take. Once everybody are made aware of these rules, Both the promoters and riders can then negotiate together, of what they want to do.

Why complicate a wonderful idea by putting additional problems in the way

• Like 1

I believe this idea of a British rider, cannot be age related, it should be open to all riders who want to go down that route. Rather than have someone delegating where these dominated riders ride or what grade they are, Why not concentrate on the guidelines and restraints of these positions, so each rider can choose which route he wants to take. Once everybody are made aware of these rules, Both the promoters and riders can then negotiate together, of what they want to do.

Why complicate a wonderful idea by putting additional problems in the way

Not sure any club will want a 'dominated' reserve rider??!! :wink::D

Seriously though, with the 20+ Brits being 'nominated' by the Team GB U21 management, then surely they will select those riders who have ambition to progress!?

I just hope there are enough !!! Or maybe we'll see a revision to the rule at the December meeting of only ONE allocated young Brit plus a nominated Brit Number 8??!!

• Like 1