British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

National League Promoters Agm

What is the date for the AGM of the National League promoters? Are there any special changes you would like to see them make for the 2014 season?

I'd like to see the Isle of Wight in a position to state that there will be National League speedway at Smallbrook in 2014 but the signs aren't that good at the moment alas.

I'd like to see the Isle of Wight in a position to state that there will be National League speedway at Smallbrook in 2014 but the signs aren't that good at the moment alas.

Fingers crossed for good news from the IoW. They are a credit to both speedway and the National League. :approve:

Couldn't agree more! Also I'd like to see both reserves, at the start of the season, need to be 3.00 riders.

For NL only how about a rule that any 3 point NL rider who came last in his last race(except for EF) can start 15 metres ahead of the rest of the field.

Without doubt losing any track in this Division is very serious for the League as a whole, losing stand alone tracks like the I.O.W. is unthinkable, let alone what is happening at Stoke and every effort to keep them going in what ever form must be looked into in depth. The question of air fences being compulsory at this level and the financial implication involved must be looked at. Do we have to lose tracks or are air fences that good, we must have them. I am not convinced at all and a re-think is needed. A smaller Division than 8 is hardly viable, so will it be the end of the N.L.? Once again it is so easy to lose tracks, but getting them back is much harder.

• Like 1

Without doubt losing any track in this Division is very serious for the League as a whole, losing stand alone tracks like the I.O.W. is unthinkable, let alone what is happening at Stoke and every effort to keep them going in what ever form must be looked into in depth. The question of air fences being compulsory at this level and the financial implication involved must be looked at. Do we have to lose tracks or are air fences that good, we must have them. I am not convinced at all and a re-think is needed. A smaller Division than 8 is hardly viable, so will it be the end of the N.L.? Once again it is so easy to lose tracks, but getting them back is much harder.

If I have read tis correctly, under an FIM directive air fances are compulsory. There does not appear to be any opt out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/speedway/24820365

With a bit of tweaking, would it be possible to share an air fence? Must be worth investigating.

It looks a good idea in theory but I wonder at the sheer logistics of trying such a scheme - but it must be worth consideration.

Would love NL to go Retro and run 13 heats, 2nd halves, old tac subs, etc. Also 13 heats would be easier for clubs who have EL or PL side to stage double headers if they got behind on fixtures so might also enable a team or two to join. Just my thoughts, I think such would be a breathe of fresh air and could be run for about the same cost as a current meeting!

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more! Also I'd like to see both reserves, at the start of the season, need to be 3.00 riders.

Is that a possibility; that clubs would have to track 3.00 riders at reserve? That for me would mean another season at least of no speedway as it would mean more points to stretch the gap between the best riders and the not the best. I would much prefer to watch seven riders who are around the 5 point area race than a nine point man finishing 1/2 a ;lap or more in front of a lad fresh into the sport on a three. I remember a late season match in 2012 at Stoke where Tom Perry was winning by the length of the straight plus, no racing just procession. I have no problem with Tom Perry racing in the league as long as he is racing against similar standard racers, Some say that racing against better riders helps improve lesser riders; that is true to a degree but you have to be on the pace or could easily go the other way with a loss of confidence due to the distance they are beaten by.Forcing teams to track riders due to their apparent ability and not on their true ability is a recipe for disaster. It could be said that is the way speedway has been for many years and that would be true and I stood it for many years but for me that is why speedway is a poor watch now. Three to four good races an evening is never good value, as the top boys in teams when up against the reserves from the others just wipe them out. You could point to Ellis or Lambert last year being 3.00s but everyone knew that they were not 3.00s before a wheel was turned and they were always going to be more than competitive against anybody in the league. My problem is with real 3.00's who are going to struggle all year in most of their races against the big boy's. Riders should come into league racing when their standard dictates. Realize my thoughts will not be very popular but just cannot watch anymore strung out races waiting for it to change. Look at any meeting and the updates generally say "FTG".

Edited by Steeplejack
  • Like 2

How could you say that Ellis wasn't s 3 pointer at the start of the season. He hadn't even raced a speedway bike until the previous July.

• Like 1

How could you say that Ellis wasn't s 3 pointer at the start of the season. He hadn't even raced a speedway bike until the previous July.

I would have thought that any rider deemed good enough to go straight in as a Premier League reserve which Adam did with Ipswich last season is hardly a 3pt NL reserve.

Young riders like Ellis and lambert are rarities while it is great to have very young riders of Premier league standard coming into the National League as 3 pointers it does create an imbalance in team strenghts, And i feel they stay as reserves far to long ,,much earlier average changes should be brought in to counter this imbalance there does seem to be one or two of these situations arising on a regular basis and i feel it needs to be addressed ...

• Like 1