British Speedway Forum
GM

Air Fence Funds

I know mildenhall got there air fence from Peterborough so perhaps that's what happened.

Ahh!! Thanks - must be me. :t:

Any one know what happened to the Air Fence Newcastle were supposed to get from Peterborough a while ago?

I can't remember why - but I'm sure I remember something about this.

The new one I think failed on inspection and Peterborough could not release their old one. When the new one was passed, it was too late to do the bend alterations at Brough before the start of the new season, so the purchase was abandoned. Rene as an asset was also a factor.

• Like 1

The new one I think failed on inspection and Peterborough could not release their old one. When the new one was passed, it was too late to do the bend alterations at Brough before the start of the new season, so the purchase was abandoned. Rene as an asset was also a factor.

Cheers for the explanation Dave - the old Memory isn't failing as much as I thought it was. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :unsure: :unsure: :blink:

Why should fans pay for the fence I personally think its the promoters job as it will become there asset. Fans are being fleeced all the time by promoters asking for money for this and that

• Like 2

Why should fans pay for the fence I personally think its the promoters job as it will become there asset. Fans are being fleeced all the time by promoters asking for money for this and that

most tracks run at a loss so would you rather tracks closed down due to the cost of air fence or fans chip in a few quid to pay for saftey fence?

• Like 1

Speedway Supporters have ALWAYS gone above and beyond in an attempt to keep their Team/Club going. I know that we did at Sunderland - unsuccessfully as it turned out but at least we tried. :t:

Can't believe what I am reading! People moaning about being asked(not forced) to chip in for rider safety! With the crashes we have seen at Armadale this year, an air fence will be a welcome addition. Also don't see the issue with clubs holding events to raise money, surely then you are getting something for your money, instead of just donating. You may be after an extra meeting or two to raise funds, but as already pointed out, I doubt they would raise enough funds from that alone. This way you are getting something else for your "donation" ala the Audience with Cookie from Friday night, which I thorughly enjoyed by the way!

• Like 4

I can honestly say the polyfoam fence at Berwick has saved many nasty injuries since it was installed.

They are a very important part of speedway safety and I don't know of any fans that grudged being asked if they could help.

• Like 4

Can anyone list the tracks that need to install these fences and also update the progress on fund raising. Also which tracks have actually ordered the fences as I assume that if they are not ordered soon, they may not be delivered/installed before the new season starts.

A lot of fans have contributed very generously to the Ricky Ashworth fund, but I'd rather contribute to any number of Air fence funds than every have to contribute to another Ricky Ashworth fund again.

(And yes, I'm aware that Ricky's was a freak accident at a track that had an airfence, but it doesn't alter the fact that airfences aid safety, and if every track having an airfence saves just one Ricky type accident, then let's get the money raised and the fences installed)

Edited by John Leslie
  • Like 1

Ricky didnt hit the fence at Scunny, he went over the bike & landed awkwardly.

That being said onto the topic in hand, I think air-fences are a great idea if set up properly.

Leicester Lions have had an airfence in operation from the day they restarted. The lions supporter club there run a raffle at every meeting there and give a lump sum in cash to the winner. The money left over is given to the club to what ever they wish to do with it.

I don't see or hear anyone there moan about this and it always sells a lot of tickets. The cash sum to the winner is usually over the £100 mark so gives some incentive.

This could easily be done at all the tracks to help with club funds. Speedway will never make any of the promoters millionaires.

It is just not a big money making sport to most of the clubs and is there for our entertainment.

So what if they ask us to give £1 or 2 a meeting if it means we still have a sport that we love still there for our enjoyment.

To many clubs are just scraping by in the climate as it is nowadays financially.

Some of the young riders who ride in the lower leagues are doing it for the love of it and all the money they have either from any winnings or from the jobs they do to get their love of the sport alive is spent on upkeep to their machines.

Come on be kind to them or our sport will die. The young riders can't help the club out that much if they could they would. But they would end up doing cycle speedway, as they would have no bikes to ride once a major problem hit them like a blown engine.

Get the airfences installed and help keep those riders safe of safer than they are without them.

There are far to many nasty injuries

Can anyone list the tracks that need to install these fences and also update the progress on fund raising. Also which tracks have actually ordered the fences as I assume that if they are not ordered soon, they may not be delivered/installed before the new season starts.

If you insist:

Tracks without fences as at the close of 2013 were (to the best of my knowledge)Edinburgh, Glasgow, Newcastle, Plymouth, Redcar, Rye House, Sheffield, Somerset, Workington, Buxton, Isle of Wight and Stoke.

Regardless of being ordered, paid for, delivered or whatever, no track can operate after March 15 without an approved soft barrier. There may be a few late starts to the new season!

If you insist:

Tracks without fences as at the close of 2013 were (to the best of my knowledge)Edinburgh, Glasgow, Newcastle, Plymouth, Redcar, Rye House, Sheffield, Somerset, Workington, Buxton, Isle of Wight and Stoke.

Regardless of being ordered, paid for, delivered or whatever, no track can operate after March 15 without an approved soft barrier. There may be a few late starts to the new season!

Stoke have had an Air-Fence since 2006. :t: