British Speedway Forum
GM

Air Fence Funds

Most clubs are doing air fence funds for the cost of there fences for next season but is it just me that's sick to the teeth of hearing about events to raise money for the fund.

When the elite league had to have air fences clubs did meetings to help pay for these and riders riding for free but this time clubs are just begging fans for money.

I truly believe it's right to have air fences at every track for safety. But an air fence does nothing for any fan, it's there purely to help stop riders getting injured.

So to me it's the riders that should be doing there bit to raise money for these air fences as it them who will have all the benefit from them.

But no it's the fans that have to cough up yet again.

• Like 2

An air fence does nothing for fans, are you kidding! Apart from not wanting any rider hurt I have spent enough time standing at a speedway track waiting for an ambulance.

Most clubs are running meetings but the bottom line is it won't raise enough cash. There are also so many meetings you can ask a rider to do for free and you cannot run a meeting with 7 riders.

I dont want to see any rider injured but you can only go to the fans so much thats my point.

Riders get less injuries so they should do there bit. An air fence helps riders from missing meetings due to injuries to.

At Workington they are having everything you could think of to squeeze more money from the fans and so far the riders have not been involved at all.

In what way are you being squeezed? We had the cheapest admission last year, that isn't squeezing is it? Lots of things are being auctioned off but no one is forcing you to buy anything! At least there wasn't a compulsory donation added to the admission price!

what i find odd is that clubs must have known that this would come in at some time, so why have they all waited until now to do anything about it.

Clubs are over reliant on fans donations.

as is sellafield aka.. ,, B.N.F.L.= But Not For Long.. and a whole host of other businesss.,s in the area..

I'd like to think the BSPA put in a bulk order to one supplier for all the league clubs needing a fence and got a cheaper price than all the clubs doing their own thing.

Maybe I should have posted this on the Jokes thread.

I'd like to think the BSPA put in a bulk order to one supplier for all the league clubs needing a fence and got a cheaper price than all the clubs doing their own thing.

Maybe I should have posted this on the Jokes thread.

Something like that DID happen George. :o:approve:

• Like 1

Something like that DID happen George. :o:approve:

I'm glad to hear it Tsunami!

what i find odd is that clubs must have known that this would come in at some time, so why have they all waited until now to do anything about it.

Which is why Berwick, Scunthorpe -- and Northfield -- have to be praised!

• Like 1

And Newcastle. During the winter we put about 40 new posts and replaced 80% of the net meshing in anticipation of the decision being made. :approve:

The main objective of the new supporters club was to assist with the purchase by organising events to raise money. A Grand Summer Draw and Family fun night for the actual draw raised £2k, and the auction night after our last meeting we raised another £2k. Although the fence has now been ordered, and about to be paid for, we are continuing to raise further funds as there could be high maintenance costs with an air fence, as opposed to the foam fence. Every penny raised was raised by events and donations, and no one was compelled or coerced to support it if they didn't want to.

BTW It is Northside at Workington. It is a superb training facility with the air fence that used to be at Somerset and Newport, which was paid for by it's main sponsor Moss Bay Metals(Aunty Sue).

Great gesture and facility.

• Like 2

Northside

Any one know what happened to the Air Fence Newcastle were supposed to get from Peterborough a while ago?

I can't remember why - but I'm sure I remember something about this.