British Speedway Forum
a4poster

When Will The New Race Format Be Out & How Can Teams Name Riders When They Don't Know It?

The whole point of my last post was how can Belle vue drop its prices when it is only 50p dearer than Rye house.I listed the teams to show the difference in the

wage bill for each club so on gate takings after paying the riders which club makes more money.So if a prem team cant afford to drop its prices how can an elite team drop theirs when they have far greater running costs.Remember that they have had to cut costs to keep most of the clubs running so if i have to pay the same money for a little weaker league and put up with a change in the race format then so be it, The alternative is to keep it the same and after this season god knows how many clubs may have had to close their doors. At least they are trying to keep the league going and for that i thank them and will continue to give them my support by buying a season ticket.

There is a THIRD possibility and that is to combine the Leagues - do away with Expensive Foreigners - everyone starts on a level playing field. THEN, and only then in my opinion, can we start to rebuild British Speedway from bottom to top.

The TRUTH is that we cannot continue to pay out 'big bucks' for Foreign Riders - until this is realised by the Promoters Speedway will continue it's long slow decline in to oblivion.

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 2

There is a THIRD possibility and that is to combine the Leagues - do away with Expensive Foreigners - everyone starts on a level playing field. THEN, and only then in my opinion, can we start to rebuild British Speedway from bottom to top.

The TRUTH is that we cannot continue to pay out 'big bucks' for Foreign Riders - until this is realised by the Promoters Speedway will continue it's long slow decline in to oblivion.

So now you DO want to reduce the QUALITY? :D

ATB

Dave

• Like 2

So now you DO want to reduce the QUALITY? :D

ATB

Dave

Also the COSTS!!!

If those don't fall - Speedway is doomed altogether.

Come on - think about it.

• Like 2

Also the COSTS!!!

If those don't fall - Speedway is doomed altogether.

Come on - think about it.

It will never work. People WANT to see the big stars so unfortunately it is a necessary evil.

If i had a pound for the amount of times season after season i have read the sport is doomed i would be on my second round the World trip by now.

As soon as you cut of the `foreign ` talent we would then become a doomed sport resulting in virtual amateur status. Now, that IS NOT the way forward.

It will never work. People WANT to see the big stars so unfortunately it is a necessary evil.

If i had a pound for the amount of times season after season i have read the sport is doomed i would be on my second round the World trip by now.

As soon as you cut of the `foreign ` talent we would then become a doomed sport resulting in virtual amateur status. Now, that IS NOT the way forward.

I agree we would end up like the Yanks they have been trying for years to bring riders on with only a few making it not enough to make a league we need foreign talent.

I'm afraid I don't see it as necessary at all. Evil yes (because of the money being paid for them) - but not necessary.

People don't watch the 'Big Stars' at Premier League or National League level and they survive. THAT is what it is all about at the moment - survival. In these times of Financial Austerity everyone is affected - yes, even Speedway. With falling Crowds in ALL Leagues we cannot continue to pay outrageous sums of money to the so called 'Stars'. Perhaps when these times of austerity are over things may change and we can go back to employing these foreign 'Stars' but at present - we cannot afford them.

Simple Economics really.

Edited by The White Knight

I'm afraid I don't see it as necessary at all. Evil yes (because of the money being paid for them) - but not necessary.

People don't watch the 'Big Stars' at Premier League or National League level and they survive. THAT is what it is all about at the moment - survival. In these times of Financial Austerity everyone is affected - yes, even Speedway. With falling Crowds in ALL Leagues we cannot continue to pay outrageous sums of money to the so called 'Stars'. Perhaps when these times of austerity are over things may change and we can go back to employing these foreign 'Stars' but at present - we cannot afford them.

Simple Economics really.

Of course you don't agree. You are a PL fan and EL hater.

Your support of of the PL is a blind one.

So you just choose to ignore that if all EL clubs joined the PL they would shed many many fans who do NOT want a lower level of racing to watch and support, therein losing many fans and quite possibly few clubs too. But i guess you would see that as a `necessary evil` so all clubs run at a level you think is the best. It isnt.

And they arent `so called stars` - you really think that Woffy, Iversen, Bjerre, Zagar, Harris, Andersen, B Pedersen, Kylmakorpi, PK, Watt, Ward, Pawlicki, Janowski, Beck, Kildermand, Batchelor ARENT Stars??

To have a top level of racing top riders ARE the necessary evil. And thank god for that because Speedway would shed huge numbers of fans in one swoop without them.

If it is weakened to such a point we can afford some then that is the way it has to be.

Only bringing in the top guys will make MORE come thru the turnstiles.

We all know the EL is the weakest its ever been, but thank god we have an EL.

Of course you don't agree. You are a PL fan and EL hater.

Your support of of the PL is a blind one.

So you just choose to ignore that if all EL clubs joined the PL they would shed many many fans who do NOT want a lower level of racing to watch and support, therein losing many fans and quite possibly few clubs too. But i guess you would see that as a `necessary evil` so all clubs run at a level you think is the best. It isnt.

And they arent `so called stars` - you really think that Woffy, Iversen, Bjerre, Zagar, Harris, Andersen, B Pedersen, Kylmakorpi, PK, Watt, Ward, Pawlicki, Janowski, Beck, Kildermand, Batchelor ARENT Stars??

To have a top level of racing top riders ARE the necessary evil. And thank god for that because Speedway would shed huge numbers of fans in one swoop without them.

If it is weakened to such a point we can afford some then that is the way it has to be.

Only bringing in the top guys will make MORE come thru the turnstiles.

We all know the EL is the weakest its ever been, but thank god we have an EL.

I don't 'hate' the Elite League - I think that is a pathetic response steve. I am concerned about the future of ALL Speedway not just one League.

Actually my thoughts on the Elite League are that it is a drain on Speedway in general - precious little SKY money reaches other Leagues. Even with most of the cash from SKY - certain Elite League Clubs are STILL struggling. Seems like Financial ineptitude/suicide to me.

However - we shall see who is right - eventually. I do hope it is you and not me - but I don't think so.

I don't 'hate' the Elite League - I think that is a pathetic response steve. I am concerned about the future of ALL Speedway not just one League.

Actually my thoughts on the Elite League are that it is a drain on Speedway in general - precious little SKY money reaches other Leagues. Even with most of the cash from SKY - certain Elite League Clubs are STILL struggling. Seems like Financial ineptitude/suicide to me.

However - we shall see who is right - eventually. I do hope it is you and not me - but I don't think so.

Well you could say attacking the EL and `so called stars` at every opportunity is `pathetic`.

You blindly believe that the PL is a stable league with no issues or problems.

Lets face it, without a top level of Speedway the sport would become an amateur sport without any serious credibility.

The problems facing SPEEDWAY is a drain - not just one league.

ALL clubs struggle - in ALL leagues. Perhaps your coffee lacks any smell.

If we go down your route then it seems you would be happy that vast numbers would disappear from supporting the sport, but hey, i would imagine you are OK with that because the precious PL would be OK.

Like i said blinkered to the faults of one league and ignore the faults of the rest.

Edited by stevebrum

I just want to say that when Swindon were in the PL. I enjoyed the racing just as much (sometimes more) without the so-called stars and the fans continued their support. I think what TWK is suggesting is certainly worth considering - maybe not so radical in banning all foreign talent but perhaps cap what clubs pay and learn to live with what you can afford.

The hardest change (not PL/EL specific) was changing from a Saturday night to a Thursday but once people accepted that "Thursday night was now speedway night", the crowds picked up. However, Swindon over the last few seasons have struggled to get the fans through the door and I think that is more to do with the lack of continuity there has been. It has been shown that if you have an atractive fixture (e.g. Poole) at the right price, the fans will support it.

Edited by Steve0
  • Like 4

Well you could say attacking the EL and `so called stars` at every opportunity is `pathetic`.

You blindly believe that the PL is a stable league with no issues or problems.

Lets face it, without a top level of Speedway the sport would become an amateur sport with any serious credibility.

The problems facing SPEEDWAY is a drain - not just one league.

ALL clubs struggle - in ALL leagues. Perhaps your coffee lacks any smell.

If we go down your route then it seems you would be happy that vast numbers would disappear from supporting the sport, but hey, i would imagine you are OK with that because the precious PL would be OK.

Like i said blinkered to the faults of one league and ignore the faults of the rest.

Not at all blinkered I assure you. Honest , practical, realistic yes - but NOT blinkered.

Perhaps with less money to pay to these 'Foreigners' the Elite League could afford to allow some of the SKY money to benefit the WHOLE of British Speedway not just the select few in the Elite League. Granted most televised Meetings are Elite League - however - without the rest of Speedway (ie: Reserves and Double Uppers from National and Premier Leagues) the Elite League would simply NOT exist. These other Leagues are keeping the Elite League Tracks going and are seeing very little Financial recompense for doing so.

In your 'blinkered' fashion - do you really believe that is the correct way to go?

I CAN see your point - but it seems to me that you are happy with the Elite League as it is - and to hell with anyone else. At present the BSPA are backing your point of view - even though it will eventually lead to disaster. How much longer do you think some Elite League Tracks can keep going under their current Financial duress? It is only a matter of time before one of them closes. Then you will be wringing your hands saying - what happened? Well - I have just answered that question for you.

Wake up and smell your Coffee.

• Like 1

I am firmly a PL man, as my team have always been there - but the EL is the main league, that is how it is.

I dont see the issue with EL having a different format, if as has been promised it is for the good of British speedway.

Why are people arguing so vehemently against it without seeing the new plans.

Old the old idiots, who bang on about no play-offs, lets go back to 13 heats, bring back black and white helmets, bring back leathers, Sky is bad for the sport...just get over yourselves.

Surely the new EL format should be given a chance, and it has been done for all the right reasons simple as that.

• Like 6

Surely the new EL format should be given a chance, and it has been done for all the right reasons simple as that.

Well said, that's all I have been saying all along - give it a chance rather than calling it a failure before the season starts...................and I don't even have an EL team to support anymore. I will still support EL racing though by going to Brandon & Monmore as often as I can.

• Like 2

Not at all blinkered I assure you. Honest , practical, realistic yes - but NOT blinkered.

Perhaps with less money to pay to these 'Foreigners' the Elite League could afford to allow some of the SKY money to benefit the WHOLE of British Speedway not just the select few in the Elite League. Granted most televised Meetings are Elite League - however - without the rest of Speedway (ie: Reserves and Double Uppers from National and Premier Leagues) the Elite League would simply NOT exist. These other Leagues are keeping the Elite League Tracks going and are seeing very little Financial recompense for doing so.

In your 'blinkered' fashion - do you really believe that is the correct way to go?

I CAN see your point - but it seems to me that you are happy with the Elite League as it is - and to hell with anyone else. At present the BSPA are backing your point of view - even though it will eventually lead to disaster. How much longer do you think some Elite League Tracks can keep going under their current Financial duress? It is only a matter of time before one of them closes. Then you will be wringing your hands saying - what happened? Well - I have just answered that question for you.

Wake up and smell your Coffee.

Without the EL SKY would have no interest in showing Speedway so why should your biased league receive anything?

Obviously it would have been much better if the SKY money had been used to invest in its future.

The PL isn't keeping the EL going, what a silly statement. If riders had to choose a league (ie Jason Doyle) the PL would struggle for top riders. Seems your coffee is still well off its scent.

There is nowhere in any of my comments i have said i am `happy with the EL as it is`, but feel free to make up stuff to suit your blinkered point.

I would be HAPPIER if the EL had ALL the top boys back, not less. More thru the turnstiles and making our league a credible one.

The only thing lacking in credibility is your statement it should be one league of PL standard. Now that WOULD be suicide for Speedway.

Like i have said and you have ignored - EL tracks would probably close if the EL disappeared. The point remains that more NL and PL tracks have closed in recent seasons.

So like i say you keep smelling that odourless coffee. At least mine has some flavour.

You claim to be not at all blinkered, but your above post proves the opposite.

Well said, that's all I have been saying all along - give it a chance rather than calling it a failure before the season starts...................and I don't even have an EL team to support anymore. I will still support EL racing though by going to Brandon & Monmore as often as I can.

We might be in a position to give it a chance, if we knew what it was.