British Speedway Forum
Grand Central

Bbc Sports Personality Of The Year

We shouldn't forget that Tai became world champion on the back of being invited (not qualified) to the GP series. That was based on a perception and a body of work built up in the previous years. There was certainly an argument to be had that he wasn't the most qualified to become one of the four wild cards.

We should remember that when considering the ten nominated, they had a season of achievement on the back of previous pedigree. In mainstream sports a Tai could have come through, but its just not going to happen in speedway. The sport has to be recognisable. The Paralympics has given Para sports a platform to build from for example.

I really don't think you can blame the BBC here. The BBC is no longer at the forefront of British sport. The media as a whole has the bigger influence. My experience is that the BBC do consider all sports; I seem to remember Matt Dawson being on a panel for the coach of the year award and putting forward Fab Flournoy (Basketball) as Coach of the Year.

Of course you can blame the BBC.

They have put forward Ben Ainslie, from a minority sport, who has achieved zero this year. He has not had a 'season of achievement'.

• Like 4

To be honest the BBC would probably avoid having nominees from sports like Squash and Speedway as they are the type of sports that might encourage orchestrated voting campaigns and the nominees might end up winning.

Then you'd have a SPOTY winner that hardly anybody has heard of!

Wasn't something like this discovered in the 1960s? :rofl:

At least this thread has woken up the BSPA.

http://www.speedwaygb.co/news.php?extend.23315

Alex Harkess slams the BBC for snubbing Tai. The BSPA are going to ask the BBC for an explanation as to why he was overlooked.

Good for them, the BBC is accountable to all licence payers, not just silly toffs sports. We deserve an explanation.

Might be something for our all-party Speedway parliamentary committee to debate too.

The BSPA must welcome the chance to take this action. A typical political move IMO to distract attention from the recent AGM. I don't think there will be any quakes of fear at Broadcasting House over "this BSPA threat."

Edited by Guest

You have to laugh at the BSPA statement, though.

Promoters are often said to look upon the BSF as a haven of nutters who just want to rant among themselves.

The BSPA feel that they would be above listening to any of these idiots.

Then a 'Mr A Harkess of Edinburgh' writes a letter to the BBC where he rants in a similar fashion.
Perhaps in green Crayon.

If he were being quoted on 'Points of View' I bet they'd get Rab C Nesbitt to 'do' his voice.

Oh, the irony.

• Like 2

Wasn't something like this discovered in the 1960s? :rofl:

The BSPA must welcome the chance to take this action. A typical political move IMO to distract attention from the recent AGM. I don't think there will be any quakes of fear at Broadcasting House over "this BSPA threat."

Are you for real. Time for you to stop making a fool of yourself. Alex has written to the BBC on behalf of a sport that he is chairman of. If he hadn't you can bet your cotton socks that the usual suspects like you, TWK, ColinMills,etc, would be asking why he has not approached the BBC to register his disgust on behalf of the sport.

Pleased Promoters have more credibility than some of the idealess critics on here.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 4

Are you for real. Time for you to stop making a fool of yourself. Alex has written to the BBC on behalf of a sport that he is chairman of. If he hadn't you can bet your cotton socks that the usual suspects like you, TWK, ColinMills,etc, would be asking why he has not approached the BBC to register his disgust on behalf of the sport.

Pleased Promoters have more credibility than some of idealess critics on here.

I just noticed that you are Nicki Pedersen's number 1 fan... explains a lot ;)

• Like 1

I just noticed that you are Nicki Pedersen's number 1 fan... explains a lot ;)

Yep, great rider and thoroughly good egg off the track. Thanks for the thought. Done a lot in his life as well..

Ex Diamond of course, Nicki is just the rider type that you, with your marketing hat on, would employ and use to bring the masses back to speedway.

Thought you were trying to be speedway's saviour.

Edited by Tsunami

Yep, great rider and thoroughly good egg off the track. Thanks for the thought. Done a lot in his life as well..

Ex Diamond of course, Nicki is just the rider type that you, with your marketing hat on, would employ and use to bring the masses back to speedway.

Thought your were trying to be speedway's saviour.

You're completely right, who better to be the face of speedway than Nicki Pedersen?

He has so many brilliant qualities it is hard to pick a favourite. What is your favourite quality in Nicki? Is it his swearing? spitting? aggressive behavior? track side tantrums? shouting at his own pit crew? helmet and goggle throwing? provocative attitude? dirty riding? Or do you just like his big hair dryer? ;)

Ten years ago cycling was unheard of on the BBC. Mainly due to hard work by those that run the sport which lead to success on the track it's forced it's way onto their agenda.

Well up to a point, but I think it as much that the BBC was losing major sports hand-over-fist and were desperate to show some sort of sport that wasn't too expensive. I very much doubt disabled sport would have got anything like the extensive coverage if the BBC still had the major sports to show.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Pleased Promoters have more credibility than some of the idealess critics on here.

really think tsunami may need medication..yet again, he not only following my posts, hes now including me in other peoples posts!..check his last comment "bring the masses back to speedway"..GET REAL.....you really think domestic speedway can get masses on terraces, when theres only 2nd rate riders left?....reckon you were the type of person who thought sky tv would save this sport!.......its run by clowns, until double point rides, guest riders, doubling ups, are rmoved and promoters promte and QUALITY line ups appear, the word MASS will never happen......its not us fans you should get knarked at, its promoters who has made such useless moves who have dragged this sport in the gutter..just cos we moan, don't mean we don't like speedway, we moan cos we can actually see how its been ruined!!

Edited by ColinMills

really think tsunami may need medication..yet again, he not only following my posts, hes now including me in other peoples posts!..check his last comment "bring the masses back to speedway"..GET REAL.....you really think domestic speedway can get masses on terraces, when theres only 2nd rate riders left?....reckon you were the type of person who thought sky tv would save this sport!.......its run by clowns, until double point rides, guest riders, doubling ups, are rmoved and promoters promte and QUALITY line ups appear, the word MASS will never happen......its not us fans you should get knarked at, its promoters who has made such useless moves who have dragged this sport in the gutter..just cos we moan, don't mean we don't like speedway, we moan cos we can actually see how its been ruined!!

Much of this is true and for sure Tsunami and I have our differences in opinion to put it mildly.. however on this thread I am in total agreement with him.

The BSPA have been pro-active in this case and that is to be commended.

He is also quite right that Nicki Pedersen is the perfect rider to use from a marketing sense.

• Like 3

You are wrong there mate - I would not even have thought of Promoters writing to the BBC. It won't do any good anyway. But - well done to them for trying something.

• Like 2

However, being a sports fan I wouldn't dismiss any sport, even ones I don't like.

It not about dismissing a sport, but actually determining whether it qualifies as one in the first place. I actually quite like darts, but the generally accepted definition of sport is competitive physical activity.

There are some exceptions like bridge and chess that are recognised as sports by the IOC, but darts isn't amongst them. Okay, that's not the be-all and end-all of whether something is a sport or not, but I think darts is a marginal call despite it drawing big audiences.

It not about dismissing a sport, but actually determining whether it qualifies as one in the first place. I actually quite like darts, but the generally accepted definition of sport is competitive physical activity.

There are some exceptions like bridge and chess that are recognised as sports by the IOC, but darts isn't amongst them. Okay, that's not the be-all and end-all of whether something is a sport or not, but I think darts is a marginal call despite it drawing big audiences.

Darts is a GAME - everyone knows that. It isn't a Sport. Sportsmen are supposed to FIT - not FAT. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes::blink:

Maybe with the exception of sumo wrestlers...? :unsure:

Ooops yes - I forgot about them. They DO seem to be FIT though - unlike Dart Players.