British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Greg

Plymouth To Enter Nl Team

As Colin Hill's legacy helped to save Speedway and was left for the 'betterment' of the Sport why not resurrect the 'Devon Demons' a side launched by Hill at the old County Ground.

• Like 3

Great news,the more the merrier. :D:t:

• Like 2

Great news,the more the merrier. :D:t:

Fully echo your sentiments. If this comes off, it will be good for the NL, for the riders in the south west who have been "frozen" out lately.

Full credit must be given to the Plymouth promotion for even considering it and I hope they get the same level of crowds as they did when previously in the NL.

• Like 2

It must be noted that Plymouth Devils will run in the premier league with their main side! The national league team will hopefully bring on the future generation of riders! Not too sure if the crowds will be the same though:-) the majority of Plymouth support will probably just go to the pl meeting's but I could be wrong!

As Colin Hill's legacy helped to save Speedway and was left for the 'betterment' of the Sport why not resurrect the 'Devon Demons' a side launched by Hill at the old County Ground.

Now THAT is a great idea!!

All in all fantastic news - Plymouth is one of my absolute favourite places to watch Speedway!

• Like 1

Brilliant news...National League Speedway will be great if we can get a couple more teams having a development team.

Its brilliant to watch and its what BRITISH speedway needs!

• Like 3

Instead of the 'Devon Demons' why not have the 'Devon Falcons'?

As a long time Heathens fan I would go further with the suggestion.............What about 'Plymouth Falcons', 'Devon Falcons' or 'Exeter Falcons'! Even better have the team race jacket justlike Exeter's (Green & White with a black Falcon) in memory of the late Colin Hill!

Just a thought!!!!!

Let's hope no others close either.

Pure hearsay, but I have heard that 4 new teams (including Plymouth) are coming in.

It must be noted that Plymouth Devils will run in the premier league with their main side! The national league team will hopefully bring on the future generation of riders! Not too sure if the crowds will be the same though:-) the majority of Plymouth support will probably just go to the pl meeting's but I could be wrong!

If you run the NL side on the weeks when the PL team are away or don't have a fixture there's every chance that a fair few will go, if not the same number. I have it on good authority that Coventry Storm paid their own way last season.

• Like 1

Instead of the 'Devon Demons' why not have the 'Devon Falcons'?

I think to attract extra local people the town/area name must be in the club name. A suggestion that Exeter be used for a side based in Plymouth - not on IN MY OPINION. Nor are county names a very good idea as I see it. The NL teams based at Coventry and King's Lynn support my view.

But each to his own idea on a title for the side and I have no doubt that my opinion will be pooh-poohed. The important thing is that the National League has gained a new side for 2014 and that's more important than what the team will eventually be known as.

Let's not get too carried away right now "gustix" for although I as an avid supporter of the National Development League would hope to see more clubs join it including maybe Plymouth, no official announcements have been forthcoming at this stage.

I think we should bear in mind that within the original newspaper report one of the Plymouth's co-promoters, David Short, stressed that the creation of a NDL side was just being talked about at that stage and feel it best to wait and see what official news emerges from the league's AGM on December 10.

new team, most welcome, who really cares what they are called, good luck to the southern saints?

new team, most welcome, who really cares what they are called, good luck to the southern saints?

Yes indeed, a very warm welcome to the second Plymouth side. Personally I think that area location in a name is an important factor in marketing the side.

These days most of my opinions are pooh-poohed and it looks as though I have got it wrong yet again. Apart from the venture bringing a new team into the sport what happens locality-wise will not affect me in any way - I live hundreds of miles to the East. In the end, local opinion must decide on the team name. On a modern basis, Kent Kings has proved to work without any major mention of Sittingbourne so perhaps something similar could work for the new team?

I have not seen a Plymouth team since the late 1940s when those involved for the 'Devils' included Billy Newell, Pete Lansdale, Ivan Kessell and 'Wild Bill' Deegan. But I digress - they have nothing to do with the new side and I doubt there are many who remember these Pennycross Stadium-based old-timers.

Edited by Guest