British Speedway Forum
MMX Events

Havvy's Farewell - Poole Speedway - Friday 21st March 2014

Explain to me why " Everybody needs to show at Havvy's bash" ?

Why do they?

He's a Speedway rider who I have absolutely no affinity to. Why should I go to Poole to a meeting for a bloke that means squat to me?

Why i'l tell you why darling. You may have no affinity or he means squat to you, but Garry has been an ambassitor a staunch GB international and World Champion of our sport.

Now, im not a fan of Testimonials fairwell meetings Goodbye meetings and kiiss me backside meetings, because if you went to your employer after 10 years service and said excuss me, ive worked here for 10 years now, could i have a bonus, i'll tell you what they'd say, and the second words orf... But for Sky and the BSAP to treat Garry as i said, an Ambassitor and British World Champion who rode his nuts off for Team GB's cause in the 2004 World cup final is nothing short of Shambolic.

Personally, certain members of the BSPA have lost it to cave in to Skys demands when Havvys date had been lined up for a very long time now, they are nothing short of whimps.

IMO every rider who has been invited to Havvys bash should still stand their ground and attend the meeting.

Because Sky have just anounced a new 5 year deal, they just think they can mussle Havvys bash out the way, its almost blackmail, and im very sure those in the sky sports circles knew, that Havvys date was on that Friday.

As for Nigel Pearson critisising fans for moving the ELC to the same date is folly, he really is barking up the wrong tree. But then, he's paid by Sky...

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 2

Why i'l tell you why darling. You may have no affinity or he means squat to you, but Garry has been an ambassitor and World Champion of our sport.

Now, im not a fan of Testimonials fairwell meetings Goodbye meetings and kiiss me backside meetings, because if you went to your employer after 10 years service and said excuss me, ive worked here for 10 years now, could i have a bonus, i'll tell you what they'd say, and the second words orf... But for Sky and the BSAP to treat Garry as i said, an Ambassitor and British World Champion who rode his nuts of for Team GB's cause in the 2004 World cup final is nothing short of Shambolic.

Personally, certain members of the BSPA have lost it to cave in to Skys demands when Havvys date had been lined up for a very long time now, they are nothing short of whimps.

IMO every rider who has been invited to Havvys bash should still stand their ground and attend the meeting.

Because Sky have just anounced a new 5 year deal, they just think they can mussle Havvys bash out the way, its almost blackmail, and im very sure those in the sky sports circles knew, that Havvys date was on that Friday.

As for Nigel Pearson critisising fans for moving the ELC to the same date is folly, he really is barking up the wrong tree. But then, he's paid by Sky...

It's certainly 'kicking off' on here.

My views on Televised Speedway don't seem so daft now - DO THEY??

• Like 2

Chris Holder will be riding in Havvys meeting.

Very likely because he, like the vast majority of GP riders, want all the track time they can get in preparation for the GPs. It won't be because of any affinity to Gary Havelock.

Pretty sure if he, and others, told the truth they would prefer to ride in both ERC and Havvys meeting....more track time to get engine set ups right etc.

Why i'l tell you why darling. You may have no affinity or he means squat to you, but Garry has been an ambassitor a staunch GB international and World Champion of our sport.

Now, im not a fan of Testimonials fairwell meetings Goodbye meetings and kiiss me backside meetings, because if you went to your employer after 10 years service and said excuss me, ive worked here for 10 years now, could i have a bonus, i'll tell you what they'd say, and the second words orf... But for Sky and the BSAP to treat Garry as i said, an Ambassitor and British World Champion who rode his nuts off for Team GB's cause in the 2004 World cup final is nothing short of Shambolic.

Once again it is likely riders who boycott the ELC like Ward will get a 28 day ban so why would you suggest a boycott!.

What the BSPA have done is wrong of that there is no doubt but if the BSPA stand on their own rules it will be Havvy that needs to change his date.

Its fine riders like Holder moaning about it as he isnt in the ERC and would have nothing to lose by riding for Havvy. Its the riders like Ward and Cook who want to do both.

Once again it is likely riders who boycott the ELC like Ward will get a 28 day ban so why would you suggest a boycott!.

What the BSPA have done is wrong of that there is no doubt but if the BSPA stand on their own rules it will be Havvy that needs to change his date.

Its fine riders like Holder moaning about it as he isnt in the ERC and would have nothing to lose by riding for Havvy. Its the riders like Ward and Cook who want to do both.

Why would they get a ban when they've already commited to a meeting and the date was set? no wrong doing there.. Sky are in the wrong and they know it, they moved THEIR date... And if the BSPA have a pair they will back the riders...

Edited by Starman2006

http://www.speedwaygb.co/news.php?extend.23713

The British Speedway Promoters Association are currently dealing with the clash of dates between the Elite Riders’ Championship at Coventry on Friday March 21, and Gary Havelock’s Farewell meeting at Poole.

Representatives of the BSPA have been in touch with Gary, and we will continue to work with Poole Speedway and Gary to find the best possible alternative.

The BSPA acknowledge what a fine servant Gary has been to his British clubs throughout his career.

The British Speedway Promoters Association are currently dealing with the clash of dates between the Elite Riders’ Championship at Coventry on Friday March 21, and Gary Havelock’s Farewell meeting at Poole.

Representatives of the BSPA have been in touch with Gary, and we will continue to work with Poole Speedway and Gary to find the best possible alternative.

The BSPA acknowledge what a fine servant Gary has been to his British clubs throughout his career.

Good.

Why would they get a ban when they've already commited to a meeting and the date was set? no wrong doing there.. Sky are in the wrong and they know it, they moved THEIR date... And if the BSPA have a pair they will back the riders...

I agree in principle with what you are saying and yes the bspa are 100% wrong in what they have done. However if the bspa stick to their guns (which i hope they dont) they can effectively ban riders who ride in Havvys not the ELC. It shouldnt happen and hopefully some sort of common sense will prevail. Its irrevelent that Havvys meeting was pencilled in first as unfortunatly a Bspa shared event will take prcedence

I agree in principle with what you are saying and yes the bspa are 100% wrong in what they have done. However if the bspa stick to their guns (which i hope they dont) they can effectively ban riders who ride in Havvys not the ELC. It shouldnt happen and hopefully some sort of common sense will prevail. Its irrevelent that Havvys meeting was pencilled in first as unfortunatly a Bspa shared event will take prcedence

I thought that the ERC was to be an invitational event containing some non-EL riders? Surely that would mean that riders were free to refuse an invitation.

From the new BSPA statement it would seem someone has started to panic!!!

If the BSPA start to play tough and threaten rider bans, I don't think that will go down too well with Sky who will then be missing several, yes several, of the top riders from the first weeks of its EL coverage.

People don't seem to have grasped that the newly-named and newly-formatted ERC is now intended to be an 'open' meeting - not just involving current EL riders!!! So it is entirely likely that invitations will have gone out to many of the same riders that have already agreed to ride for Havvy.

• Like 2

People don't seem to have grasped that the newly-named and newly-formatted ERC is now intended to be an 'open' meeting - not just involving current EL riders!!! So it is entirely likely that invitations will have gone out to many of the same riders that have already agreed to ride for Havvy.

Open meeting? I think you mean pre-GP test session.

• Like 2

I thought that the ERC was to be an invitational event containing some non-EL riders? Surely that would mean that riders were free to refuse an invitation.

Im led to believe that the top average rider from each side is contracted to ride unless as happens most seasons injuries occur. Instead of having lesser averaged riders they have opened up the rest of the field as invites. (though one of the lesser averaged riders in Schlein has won it twice in the last 3 years). I would imagine if the likes of Ward , Iversen , Tai dont ride at the ELC for any other reason than a doctors note they would face a fine or a ban.

As stated i dont agree with what the Bspa have done to Havvy but there may be 1 or 2 riders in problems if dates arent changed

Im led to believe that the top average rider from each side is contracted to ride unless as happens most seasons injuries occur. Instead of having lesser averaged riders they have opened up the rest of the field as invites. (though one of the lesser averaged riders in Schlein has won it twice in the last 3 years). I would imagine if the likes of Ward , Iversen , Tai dont ride at the ELC for any other reason than a doctors note they would face a fine or a ban.

As stated i dont agree with what the Bspa have done to Havvy but there may be 1 or 2 riders in problems if dates arent changed

Contracted to ride, since when? Rubbish.

Why should Havvy have to find an alternative date? He chose and planned for this date since last year!! Its only since the Sky tv deal was finalised that they "picked" this date, after it being originally supposed to be staged on sunday 23rd ....it shows total disrespect for a BRITISH W/C and I hope it rains in Coventry!!

...Maybe when Sky see the forecast they may move onto Poole

Edited by emerald tyke
  • Like 4