British Speedway Forum
moxey63

Peter Collins In The Star

Good post.

One key factor the anti-SKY league have missed is the country is in the worst recession it's ever experienced.

Forgive my naivity, but I'm sure that must have had an effect on crowds.

Not much sign of a recession at the Ally Pally watching the darts tonight.Sold out a month in advance with £50 cheapest ticket to watch probable 2 hours of darts.The recession is the easiest excuse for a failing product or business.

Not much sign of a recession at the Ally Pally watching the darts tonight.Sold out a month in advance with £50 cheapest ticket to watch probable 2 hours of darts.The recession is the easiest excuse for a failing product or business.

Royal Bank of Scotland?

Oh forgot. They are one of the bar stewards who caused this frigging mess.

Nor to watch Arsenal beat Cardiff City today - an attendance of 60,004.

Edited by Guest

its difficult to feel you are ever watching "your team" when they are doubling up elsewhere, nite after nite..

it feels riders are just earning there crust riding where ever, whenever..course they have to make a living, but it get to a stage

when you don't even know who owns who..the sport itself is fine, but the product is let down by a whole host of things..

it needs lock tight rules like the gp..gp racing comes across as professional, and the w.cup almost has it rite..

know not all will agree here, but I preferred riders having there own leathers, rather than team colours..

even tho most still know whose who, there was something special bout john Louis tiger leathers, ole olsen in his black etc..

think they stood out more and looked more charasmatic

Not speedways mess thou !

Eh ... true.

But speedway suffering as a result like everyone else.

Cheapest ticket £30 today i believe.

My season ticket was worth £35.50 today.. £93 this coming saturday against Tottenham.

know not all will agree here, but I preferred riders having there own leathers, rather than team colours..

even tho most still know whose who, there was something special bout john Louis tiger leathers, ole olsen in his black etc..

think they stood out more and looked more charasmatic

I'm baffled - perhaps as usual. But just what has this got to do with 'Peter Collins in the Star.' It looks like yet another BSF thread that has lost its way and is just rambling on?

Edited by Guest

How many spectators buy tickets to watch the pub matches that run all over the country every week? That would be a fairer comparison to league Speedway.

Football is the national sport and can attract spectators almost despite itself, loyalties and promotion of the sport begins in the cradle in millions of homes, no other sport can compare.

How many spectators buy tickets to watch the pub matches that run all over the country every week? That would be a fairer comparison to league Speedway.

Football is the national sport and can attract spectators almost despite itself, loyalties and promotion of the sport begins in the cradle in millions of homes, no other sport can compare.

And where does Peter Collins in the Star fit in with this?

What has this got to do with PC's comments in the Star?

A thread goes where it goes - I can see why attendances at other sporting events became involved, especially when people began mentioning the effect of the recession on Speedway attendances.

Edited by salty

And where does Peter Collins in the Star fit in with this?

Peter Collins wrote in the Star about the current state of British Speedway, which is still what we are discussing. Read the items for sale topic about two bikes for sale and tell me my post here isn't more relevant than yours on there!

• Like 1

Peter Collins wrote in the Star about the current state of British Speedway, which is still what we are discussing. Read the items for sale topic about two bikes for sale and tell me my post here isn't more relevant than yours on there!

My comment in 'items for sale' was designed to draw attention to how costs for speedway bikes have changed over the past 57 years. I am sorry you missed the point of that comparison.

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=75484&do=findComment&comment=2390646

But sadly I cannot still see the relevance between pub darts matches and football with Peter Collins' recent article in Speedway Star.

Edited by Guest

My comment in 'items for sale' was designed to draw attention to how costs for speedway bikes have changed over the past 57 years. I am sorry you missed the point of that comparison.

But sadly I cannot still see the relevance between pub darts matches and football with Peter Collins' recent article in Speedway Star.

But you were the one who quoted Arsenal's crowd yesterday!!!

Read the thread and you will see why we got here!

To save you the heartache - simply - the thread moved from a specific critique of PC's article to a more general discussion on the reasons behind Speedway's struggles to attract good crowds now compared to yesteryear. Somebody mentioned the effect of the recession and then others mentioned how the attendances at the World Darts and at Arsenal (that was you) showed that people were still happy to spend good money to attend sporting events.