British Speedway Forum
moxey63

Peter Collins In The Star

This is one of the main reasons that I am so against the GP Series - it is a business venture rather than a Sport.

There's nothing wrong with sport being a business venture, but there has to be a fair distribution of the proceeds amongst all the interested parties. In many sports this is generally the case, even if actual percentages are argued about, but the complex administration of motorcycle sport means speedway sees very little of the revenue generated by the sport's premier competition.

TWK ... BSI pay the FIM a considerable sum of money every year. Your argument really should be with the FIM and what they do with that money.

BSI also make twice as much in profits.

• Like 1

Before speedway can regard itself with any sense of credibility amongst non-speedway fans (people it is trying to attract through the gates), perhaps it better compare the doubling-up farce with other sports. What other professional sport (which speedway is always fashioning itself as) would have its sportsmen parading their prance in two and three separate leagues?

Come on… there are enough riders out there for each club to raise seven men. All this doubling-up/doubling down is utter nonsense and is a stain on speedway’s attempt to be taken serious.

Next lesson follows…

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 2

Before speedway can regard itself with any sense of credibility amongst non-speedway fans (people it is trying to attract through the gates), perhaps it better compare the doubling-up farce with other sports. What other professional sport (which speedway is always fashioning itself as) would have its sportsmen parading their prance in two and three separate leagues?

Come on… there are enough riders out there for each club to raise seven men. All this doubling-up/doubling down is utter nonsense and is a stain on speedway’s attempt to be taken serious.

Next lesson follows…

The supporters of developing the next UK World Champion might disagree.

Cricket.

Next Question..........(try to make it a sensible one)

The supporters of developing the next UK World Champion might disagree.

So it's an attempt to secure the vein hope that we may attain a World Champion in the future that is allowing the sport to be cobbled together in a way you can whiff the sense of failure from afar.

As for the dream-makers who fathom the rules in the hope of achieving World Championship gold... all I ask is: What good has Tai Woffinden's win achieved?

I am a follower of domestic speedway first and foremost, and I expect most posters on here are the same. Without a sound league structure, the sport will slumber along and will need its equivalent of a food bank in the not too distant future.

As for doubling up or down encouraging a world championship prospect, the only thing this will help is the individual who ahs just annexed the crown.

After all, helped by riding in as many matches as there are days in the week, he’ll be in a better position to broker a more financially rewarding deal with his British club - or even decide not to race on these shores… as there are too many meetings in a league that gave him too many meeting to get him where he is!

Look after the sport in this country first; hopes of amassing World titles one after another are a pipedream, a brave gamble… if the sport wants to be taken seriously. It is akin to putting your last pound on tonight’s lottery.

Domestic speedway is a business on its own. So let’s run it properly. International competition and World Championships are merely interference.

Just my view, that’s all.

If allowing riders to race in three leagues is about getting World Champ success and hopefully warranting increased media attention, then I say we’ve been there and done that.

The media isn’t interested. It treats us like a worn-out reality TV show that was once popular.

Gary Havelock’s 1992 win was hailed as a turning point for the sport… I think his main achievement was on A Question Of Sport, which the Beeb feels obliged to invite most speedway world champions on to.

Mark Loram ditto.

Cricket.

Next Question..........(try to make it a sensible one)

Is cricket speedway's template then? It has just as much of an identity crisis as speedway, albeit less supporters probably sleep at speedway....

Next question: What other "professional" sport allows participants to race in several league throughout the world - and in the same week?

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

Is cricket speedway's template then? It has just as much of an identity crisis as speedway, albeit less supporters probably sleep at speedway....

Next question: What other "professional" sport allows participants to race in several league throughout the world - and in the same week?

You asked what professional sport allows its sportsmen to compete in different leagues and I told you.

If you are now widening it out to talk about several leagues throughout the world then it has be said that speedway is in a unique position because it is probably the only sport where this is physically possible.

If you are saying that we would be better off and attendances would be better if riders like Darcy Ward and Tai Woffinden stuck to Poland then you really have taken leave of your senses. Its an academic point anyway because even if the Worlds best were riding in the EL you still wouldn't go and would still ,be sitting on the sidelines moaning about the first thing that comes into your head. I really don't know what your problem is, unless you need to get a life, but if you don't like the modern sport that much spare us the "you've all got your heads in the sand routine" and go off and find something you do like. Its that simple.

• Like 3

You asked what professional sport allows its sportsmen to compete in different leagues and I told you.

If you are now widening it out to talk about several leagues throughout the world then it has be said that speedway is in a unique position because it is probably the only sport where this is physically possible.

If you are saying that we would be better off and attendances would be better if riders like Darcy Ward and Tai Woffinden stuck to Poland then you really have taken leave of your senses. Its an academic point anyway because even if the Worlds best were riding in the EL you still wouldn't go and would still ,be sitting on the sidelines moaning about the first thing that comes into your head. I really don't know what your problem is, unless you need to get a life, but if you don't like the modern sport that much spare us the "you've all got your heads in the sand routine" and go off and find something you do like. Its that simple.

Whatever people think of doubling up or down, the main reason now is the fact that there is a great shortage of available riders so doubling up gives you options. And yes the new initiative with the reserves in the EL is another option/alternative to increase the rider pool up to a higher standard, whereby we can limit the number of foreign riders who are expensive. It is not about breeding a WC as that would be the icing on the cake.

Edited by Tsunami

Another one of his gripes, races being called back for false starts/riders jumping the start. PC (and again I agree) says if a riders makes the starts (long as he doesn’t touch the tapes), then it is anticipation and not a jump-start. I have seen Stuart Robson punished several times on SKY for anticipating the start, the race being re-run despite Robson not doing anything other than having quick reflexes at that perfect time.

I totally agree with this. I say if a rider anticipates the start doesn't touch the tapes and gets away with it, then the race should be allowed to run. PROVIDING all four are under starters orders and the green light is on..

PS, ive just noticed someone on here is Trolling me!!!

Edited by Starman2006

Very harsh Addio !

I totally agree with this. I say if a rider anticipates the start doesn't touch the tapes and gets away with it, then the race should be allowed to run. PROVIDING all four are under starters orders and the green light is on..

Another Starman classic ! If they are not under starters orders and the green light is not on the tapes won't be going up anyway

:party::party::party:

• Like 1

Another Starman classic ! If they are not under starters orders and the green light is not on the tapes won't be going up anyway

Yep naturally, But unfortunately, i seem to have to explain everything to you word for word because many on here just don't seem to to understand...

Dont try to be clever because you are not, you know what he meant and i totally agree.You take a chance and get away with it fair play Frank Ebdon ( a total joker of a referee wanted to be the star of the show ruined numerous meeting,s i went to.More interested in rerunning races and trying to catch the riders out rather than whacking the tapes up and trying to keep the spectacle going.
  • Like 1

Dont try to be clever because you are not, you know what he meant and i totally agree.You take a chance and get away with it fair play Frank Ebdon ( a total joker of a referee wanted to be the star of the show ruined numerous meeting,s i went to.More interested in rerunning races and trying to catch the riders out rather than whacking the tapes up and trying to keep the spectacle going.

Thank you Sidney..

Yep naturally, But unfortunately, i seem to have to explain everything to you word for word because many on here just don't seem to to understand...

So you outline something that can't happen, and E I Addio cops it cos you got it wrong. :P

So you outline something that can't happen, and E I Addio cops it cos you got it wrong. :P

Nope, some just don't seem to be able to read between the lines. Its plainly obvious thats also what i mean't.. As i said, perhaps i ought to word things word for word, so it actually goes in... ;)