British Speedway Forum

Re-admitted after the fall of the white minority government and apartheid.

There were republics in the Commonwealth even before that point - not least India.

There's some interesting reading on Wikipedia - "Using the EU as a template, a movement in some member states seeks to establish a Commonwealth Union(CU) through the creation of a free trade area, visa-free travel area, common foreign policy, and representation at the UN"

The Commonwealth was one of the first political unions with common citizenship and free movement, but various nationalist movements wanted to break that up. It would have made sense for the likes of the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand to have maintained that, but that time has gone and the world has moved on.

There's not really any serious movement to move back in that direction globally, although there are regional EU-type initiatives amongst the Commonwealth countries in the Caribbean, Far East and possibly Africa as well.

Time we looked to our FRIENDS and not that misbegotten set of crooks in Europe. :mad: :mad:

Time we looked to our FRIENDS and not that misbegotten set of crooks in Europe. :mad: :mad:

I have no problem with Europeans Ian - had less problems over the years than with Aussies to be honest.

Europe's a big place and a lot of people. I need to know a few million more before I can get a representative sample to make a proper judgement though. I do prefer to judge people as individuals, even those from Dorset.

Can we stick to speedway please? There's nothing more likely to poison a good discussion than politics (and religion - but let's not drag Rayleigh Rockets into the conversation....)

• Like 2

Is Sunderland located within Europe :rolleyes:

Is Sunderland located within Europe :rolleyes:

Daft question. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But to answer it - yes - unfortunately. :sad: :sad:

There were republics in the Commonwealth even before that point - not least India.

Didn't say SA was excluded from the Commonwealth for being a republic - it was for being an oppressive rogue state practising institutionalised racism....

Daft question. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But to answer it - yes - unfortunately. :sad: :sad:

Where would you prefer it to be?

• Like 1

Didn't say SA was excluded from the Commonwealth for being a republic - it was for being an oppressive rogue state practising institutionalised racism....

Where would you prefer it to be?

A rhetorical question I guess? :)

A rhetorical question I guess? :)

Well, I'm quite fond of Europe, especially the pointy bits.

• Like 1