British Speedway Forum
Drop Dead Fred

Favourite Closed Tracks

Pot and kettle spring to mind I'm afraid Blazeaway. I'm sure that you too could Post some decent Posts if you gave up picking on others. :sad: :sad:

In fact I KNOW you can as I have 'Liked' some of them. :t:

Really TWK? I must have blinked and missed the post(s)!

• Like 1

I am surprised that there does not seem to be any mention of Norwich (or have I missed it). A great track for racing, viewing good from any part of the stadium, good cafe, and 2 excellent club rooms which were always full after the meeting with most riders in attendance. Also if you arrived early it was often possible to see cycle speedway meetings.

I am surprised that there does not seem to be any mention of Norwich (or have I missed it). A great track for racing, viewing good from any part of the stadium, good cafe, and 2 excellent club rooms which were always full after the meeting with most riders in attendance. Also if you arrived early it was often possible to see cycle speedway meetings.

Yes but seeing as it closed 50 years ago this year you would have to be pushing 70 to have many memories of the Firs!!!!!!!

Dudley Wood, Hyde Rd, the Shay and Perry Barr.

Bryn made the point earlier about the number of tracks gone and never to return. It is quite alarming! Heathens programme featured articles on many of them last year - so many great memories!

No question for me – Exeter, especially in the Mauger/Autrey/Verner years. I was living in Bristol at the time and, although Swindon was much closer, I preferred to go to Exeter. It didn't matter if the racing was often poor – you were so close to the action it was simply breathtaking. My favourite spot was coming off bend 4 just by the steps to the upstairs bar. Seeing Ivan Mauger (and many more of the world's greatest riders) stop right in front of me to do a practice start, often less than an arm's length away will always remain amongst my greatest speedway memories.

The track was so fast and the bends so narrow that overtaking was rare and only for the brave, but watching the home riders setting up and making a 4th bend outside pass was a real treat. Just a shame it didn't happen more often.

A County Ground memory of a different sort was a Bank Holiday Monday meeting circa 1977, Exeter v Reading I think. It was a hot day and the place was packed (how times have changed.....) with loads of well-dressed families standing three and four deep on the bends. When the dust cleared after the first race there were a lot of brown, coughing people looking for spaces on the straights. I guess they hadn't been to the County Ground before.............

Exeter for me too.

The first time I ever stood on the third bend I was convinced the riders wouldn't turn and would end up on the terracing.

Oh, and also for the novelty of a dog track *inside* the speedway track.

No question for me – Exeter, especially in the Mauger/Autrey/Verner years. I was living in Bristol at the time and, although Swindon was much closer, I preferred to go to Exeter. It didn't matter if the racing was often poor – you were so close to the action it was simply breathtaking. My favourite spot was coming off bend 4 just by the steps to the upstairs bar. Seeing Ivan Mauger (and many more of the world's greatest riders) stop right in front of me to do a practice start, often less than an arm's length away will always remain amongst my greatest speedway memories.

The track was so fast and the bends so narrow that overtaking was rare and only for the brave, but watching the home riders setting up and making a 4th bend outside pass was a real treat. Just a shame it didn't happen more often.

A County Ground memory of a different sort was a Bank Holiday Monday meeting circa 1977, Exeter v Reading I think. It was a hot day and the place was packed (how times have changed.....) with loads of well-dressed families standing three and four deep on the bends. When the dust cleared after the first race there were a lot of brown, coughing people looking for spaces on the straights. I guess they hadn't been to the County Ground before.............

Second that,went for the first time in 74/ 75 in the Mauger/Autrey era how exciting it was so fast felt part of everything.Went to there last ever meeting,think Adams won the final? Mauger had a blast and Scott Autrey made an appearance which was great such a shame it has gone now.

My obvious reaction is to say Reading Smallmead, but many old timers say Tilehurst was more technical and atmospheric.

Being neutral I'd say the marvellous little St Austell/Trelawny track at the Clay Country Moto Parc.

My father reckons Southampton was terrific too.

My top 3 tracks are in order are

1 Station Road Long Eaton

2 The County Ground Exeter

3 Elfield Park Milton Keynes

Hastings stadium the former home of the Saxon's was pretty good but I never saw any speedway there, it closed about 35 years before my visit to watch a football game, but you could still see 95% of the track. I suppose I should of put London stadium in my top 3 but the glass just killed any atmosphere.

Obviously Newport was my favourite. :cry:

Aside from that, I've got many great memories of Reading and Exeter (which was the first away track I'd seen) being filled with Newport fans.

• Like 1

Can anyone guess & have a stab in the dark @ my favourite closed track??

New Cross? That is a joke of course - not the track but my comment. I used to follow - through the speedway press not by visiting - Cradley Heath's doings in the days of Ray and Les Beaumont, Phil Malpass, Geoff Bennett, Jimmy Wright, Jimmy Coy & Co. Great speedway days indeed - some 60 years ago.

Edited by Guest

Hyde Road, Hackney, Ellesmere Port, Reading (didn't attend many meetings there, but the ones I saw were good ones), Milton Keynes. And a special favourite, Park Road at Barrow. Sunsets over the sea before climbing back on the little motorbike and puttering back to Workington. Lovely.

Yes but seeing as it closed 50 years ago this year you would have to be pushing 70 to have many memories of the Firs!!!!!!!

Guess who does have memories of visits to The Firs in the 1950s? A great track, great racing, great personality riders. A wonderful place to watch speedway at.