British Speedway Forum
PTDragons

Speedway In Wales

Thought I'd resurrect this thread having read this news on the BBC this morning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-28778032

That circuit is going to be a huge white elephant, even assuming it ever gets built. There's already a preponderance of race circuits in Wales and the UK as a whole, and what's going to sustain the circuit other than the one MotoGP per year?

I'd agree with you. I seem to recall a thread which discussed this site (assumed it was the Speedway in Wales one, but it obviously wasn't) and the consensus view was the same.

Sounds like an April fool or indeed speedway, we have the event but no circuit so lets move it to another country,. Having said that I suspect our friend Humphrey is spot on with his assumption I also hope someone does look at it however remote a possibility it would appear to be.

I love how they think they're going to knock up this track quicker than BV plan to build a speedway track! #Deluded

As other tracks are closed limited due to restrictions I think it will have a chance (But a slim one)

I hope it works for motorsport in general!

Anglesey & Llandow! wow cold and misty! even in the summer.

If Dorna have a deal for a Moto GP to be there in 2016 I reckon they will have a back up lined up.

From what I read Silverstone are saying to much is being asked by Dorna so they on the sidelines - but who knows.

Elsewhere I am sure it read that if £30m if given to Ebbw Vale scheme Silverstone says it will be illegal.

Interesting developments to come.

That circuit is going to be a huge white elephant, even assuming it ever gets built. There's already a preponderance of race circuits in Wales and the UK as a whole, and what's going to sustain the circuit other than the one MotoGP per year?

Moto gp signed a 10 year deal with Silverstone , after the debacle of moving F1 Gp to Donnington

didn't the early plans for this circuit also include a 300 metres INDOOR apeedway track as part of the complex to be available as a training track.

didn't the early plans for this circuit also include a 300 metres INDOOR apeedway track as part of the complex to be available as a training track.

At one point there was an indoor track, and at another point it was outside. God knows if it's still in the plans and in what state.

Certainly wouldn't be capable of hosting weekly speedway. Ebbw Vale is a rubbish hole that nobody wants to visit, the people there are generally as poor as it gets and there are no jobs (I'm sure Ebbw Vale was fairly recently top of the British towns/cities list for % of jobless), the locals certainly wouldn't be able to support it. And if Newport couldn't drag people from Newport, Cardiff and Bristol then a track 20 miles further away on crap roads isn't going to get any support.

At one point there was an indoor track, and at another point it was outside. God knows if it's still in the plans and in what state.

Certainly wouldn't be capable of hosting weekly speedway. Ebbw Vale is a rubbish hole that nobody wants to visit, the people there are generally as poor as it gets and there are no jobs (I'm sure Ebbw Vale was fairly recently top of the British towns/cities list for % of jobless), the locals certainly wouldn't be able to support it. And if Newport couldn't drag people from Newport, Cardiff and Bristol then a track 20 miles further away on crap roads isn't going to get any support.

Hey I had acquaintances there once..admittedly I never wanted to visit them whatsoever lol
  • Like 2

When I was working in Cardiff (would be around 1965/66), there was an athletics venue in the City called the Maindy Stadium which looked quite suitable for speedway when I went and had a look at it. Is this stadium still there I wonder?

Speaking about speedway with the people I was working with, the general view was that Cardiff Speedway was a "good night out" but they all thought that the old Penarth Road track was too far out of the City and not very well served by bus routes (although it didn't seem to be too far to me when I walked to it from my hotel near the railway station.)

I did locate the Penarth Road site and the place was in a very sorry state with the grass head high and just a couple of surviving huts with their roof's collapsed in, and the only visible relic was the concrete starting grid.