British Speedway Forum

Ignorance is bliss.

Maybe you should inform some of the worlds foremost marketing experts.. as they think different and believe brand recognition to be massive.

I work in IT. Mainly with databases. Everyone to me is a number (or an ID). Be that an NI number or a LearnerRef. I don't do names. But I like "Chris Harris", "Chris Harris" is my rider, "Chris Harris" is the brand. I saw "Chris Harris" riding at a Newport training school back in about 98 and a few weeks later saw him ride for St Austell, he was called, "Chris Harris". I then saw "Chris Harris" win his first professional race at Newport in March 1999. I liked "Chris Harris". I then moved to Coventry in 2003 and someone with the name "Chris Harris" signed for the Bees in 2004. Amazing, this rider I liked by the name of "Chris Harris" was riding for my now local club. Then in 2007 "Chris Harris" was in the GPs, amazing stuff, I went to a few GPs and supported "Chris Harris" and I watched every GP on tele and supported "Chris Harris".

You see, "Chris Harris" is who I like, the brand is "Chris Harris". Because "Chris Harris" rode the training school, for St Austell, for Exeter, for Coventry and in the GPs. Yet you're now telling me that when he makes it to the GPs and becomes "#37" he is a marketable brand? Fine. I look forward to supporting "#37" when he comes to tapes for Coventry. What? He'll have "#3" on his back and his bikes? WOAH! I'm confused now. And he'll have "#6" on his bike in the Swedish league? and "#2" in Poland? Oh FFS. I give up. I liked "#2 last week" but now he's someone else.

If you've ever been to F1 / Moto GP you'll see how much merch is sold and worn a weekend. Same with football, most of the crowd buy a jersey. Its up to the SGP organizers and riders to market and sell it, numbers or not.

You market the rider, not the number.

Edited by SCB

I work in IT. Mainly with databases. Everyone to me is a number (or an ID). Be that an NI number or a LearnerRef. I don't do names. But I like "Chris Harris", "Chris Harris" is my rider, "Chris Harris" is the brand. I saw "Chris Harris" riding at a Newport training school back in about 98 and a few weeks later saw him ride for St Austell, he was called, "Chris Harris". I then saw "Chris Harris" win his first professional race at Newport in March 1999. I liked "Chris Harris". I then moved to Coventry in 2003 and someone with the name "Chris Harris" signed for the Bees in 2004. Amazing, this rider I liked by the name of "Chris Harris" was riding for my now local club. Then in 2007 "Chris Harris" was in the GPs, amazing stuff, I went to a few GPs and supported "Chris Harris" and I watched every GP on tele and supported "Chris Harris".

You see, "Chris Harris" is who I like, the brand is "Chris Harris". Because "Chris Harris" rode the training school, for St Austell, for Exeter, for Coventry and in the GPs. Yet you're now telling me that when he makes it to the GPs and becomes "#37" he is a marketable brand? Fine. I look forward to supporting "#37" when he comes to tapes for Coventry. What? He'll have "#3" on his back and his bikes? WOAH! I'm confused now. And he'll have "#6" on his bike in the Swedish league? and "#2" in Poland? Oh FFS. I give up. I liked "#2 last week" but now he's someone else.

http://store.nascar.com/Dale_Earnhardt_Gear/Chase_Authentics_Dale_Earnhardt_White-Black_Fragment_Element_Adjustable_Hat

Then take a look at the top, what do you see, a list of drivers names? Wait no, its a list of numbers. Why? Because numbers are far more easily remembered than names.

Folk are dragging league racing into this.. which is utterly irrelevant. This if for the GP series.

Folk are saying you don't see other competitors in other sports competing in different events with different numbers.. WRONG. You do. Nascar Drivers for instance can race into 3 different races in one weekend in 3 different competitions, with 3 different numbers.

Folk can argue against it as much as they wish, but they are arguing against multi million pound industries. Perhaps you think you know more than marketing experts in some of the worlds biggest sports?

Even football changed to such a system, doing away with the old 1-11 numbers and replacing them with squad numbers. Numbers that your big name players will in the main try and keep when changing clubs (some even have it in their contracts).

The simple fact is the number is part of the brand recognition. Yes, of course you market the rider, but the number makes it far easier to so. It's already been proven.

Or maybe the naysayers are right.. maybe speedway has it right now and football/NFL/NBA/MLB/Nascar/MotoGp etc have it wrong.

Yes, but F1/Moto GP are not speedway!

That is what i thought funny earlier.You can't compare GP speedway to US speedway,but you can compare GP speedway to Moto GP or Nascar or US Basketball etc :rofl: Yeah right.,get ready for the big time boys :party:

That is what i thought funny earlier.You can't compare GP speedway to US speedway,but you can compare GP speedway to Moto GP or Nascar or US Basketball etc :rofl: Yeah right.,get ready for the big time boys :party:

It makes not the one iota of difference.

It's a sport, with competitors who wish to achieve brand recognition and sell merchandise.

The argument that speedway is not Moto Gp etc is quite frankly, irrelevant.

Moto GP isn't Nascar, so it won't work.. oh wait it does. Nascar isn't NBA so it won't work.. oh wait it does.

The sport is irrelevant, the marketing principles are the same.

Nobody is suggesting that riders are suddenly going to be catapulted into the 'big time' as you childishly state. That one comment alone shows your lack of understanding of the topic. However, to improve and grow a product its a fundamental basic to look at what others are doing. It works in a wide range of sports and is employed by the biggest and most revenue producing sports of all.

It's simply one more step in a process to make speedway look more professional, it's not an overnight fix!

It makes not the one iota of difference.

It's a sport, with competitors who wish to achieve brand recognition and sell merchandise.

The argument that speedway is not Moto Gp etc is quite frankly, irrelevant.

Moto GP isn't Nascar, so it won't work.. oh wait it does. Nascar isn't NBA so it won't work.. oh wait it does.

The sport is irrelevant, the marketing principles are the same.

Nobody is suggesting that riders are suddenly going to be catapulted into the 'big time' as you childishly state. That one comment alone shows your lack of understanding of the topic. However, to improve and grow a product its a fundamental basic to look at what others are doing. It works in a wide range of sports and is employed by the biggest and most revenue producing sports of all.

It's simply one more step in a process to make speedway look more professional, it's not an overnight fix!

Think you take things far too seriously on here.

But i am just answering the answer to my question about US speedway.

And in all honestly i am not even sure about all this marketing of merchandise.When i see US sports merchandise it is team stuff like LA Lakers or Dallas Cowboys,no numbers and the stuff about Michael Jordan!!!! Well he was a superstar and he is the only one anyone can quote and i have never even noticed if there was a number attached to Air Jordan trainers or anything else.In fact i haven't seen much merchandise connected to him other than trainers!!! It is team gear or "Wu Wear" that i see on the streets.So maybe it might be better getting Poole Pirates gear out on the street etc Seems like one or two are going way over the top on this numbers lark,but it makes for funny reading.......In Britain at least i think speedway fans are fish in another kettle to most other sports fans and in Denmark for instance they buy the merchandise for the rider they like without a number and adding a number won't make them buy more which is what this was supposed to be all about.Seems now it is just about making things look more professional and well i just guess those sports that don't have numbers are unprofessional.Golf + Tennis players for instance earn extremely good money and i have never noticed them having numbers? :unsure:

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

Think you take things far too seriously on here.

But i am just answering the answer to my question about US speedway.

And in all honestly i am not even sure about all this marketing of merchandise.When i see US sports merchandise it is team stuff like LA Lakers or Dallas Cowboys,no numbers and the stuff about Michael Jordan!!!! Well he was a superstar and he is the only one anyone can quote and i have never even noticed if there was a number attached to Air Jordan trainers or anything else.In fact i haven't seen much merchandise connected to him other than trainers!!! It is team gear or "Wu Wear" that i see on the streets.So maybe it might be better getting Poole Pirates gear out on the street etc Seems like one or two are going way over the top on this numbers lark,but it makes for funny reading.......In Britain at least i think speedway fans are fish in another kettle to most other sports fans and in Denmark for instance they buy the merchandise for the rider they like without a number and adding a number won't make them buy more which is what this was supposed to be all about.Seems now it is just about making things look more professional and well i just guess those sports that don't have numbers are unprofessional.Golf + Tennis players for instance earn extremely good money and i have never noticed them having numbers? :unsure:

No, you are the one who consistently moans and whinges about every change the sport makes.

As I have said earlier, take your argument to the worlds foremost sports marketers. They'll be interested to hear your expert views I am quite sure.

Let's also not forget, this is something the riders themselves have requested. I guess they should have consulted with Iris first...

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

No, you are the one who consistently moans and whinges about every change the sport makes.

Oops you did it again.Best not come out with things that are only going to make you look foolish :icon_smile_clown:

I'll have you know that as for the EL reserve change this season i was one who was all for it.Oh dear typical :rofl:

• Like 1

why are the in favour brigade soo over the top in there views?..i don't see this as any big deal, but say, if the riders want it let them have it..

if a young fan follow there rider, theyl have plenty options with "brand number"...1 in England 507 gp 3 in Poland etc etc

speedway don't have the fan base for this kind of thing, but as I say, let the riders have it, and if they get more money, fair play!

Seems now it is just about making things look more professional and well i just guess those sports that don't have numbers are unprofessional.Golf + Tennis players for instance earn extremely good money and i have never noticed them having numbers? :unsure:

At one time numbers were only for race horses...

BTW - how much race horse merchandise do you see... :blink:

If you've ever been to F1 / Moto GP you'll see how much merch is sold and worn a weekend.

The irony of course, is you can hardly see the numbers on F1 cars these days, even if you know where to look. They're only there reluctantly and put in obscure places so they don't take away space from the sponsors...

• Like 2

Yes, but F1/Moto GP are not speedway! How many of those competitors are racing three other times in the same week in different countries for different teams at different riding positions. Their brand is their name, same as with other sports stars. Football is a team game and the shirts relate to the colours of that team and these are changed regularly so that fans but new ones - the ones with numbers on nearly always have the name of the person as well! I don't think these numbers are either a good or bad idea but I really can't get excited by it because to me they are irrelevant.

Footballers playing for their country change number. Heck, if the leagues really wanted to think outside the box let the rider use their GP number in the league.

If Chris is not a number (and he for personal reasons has a number to be proud to wear this year), then how about having no numbers assigned to riders?

The riders will have numbers for their teams based on team positions but the GP number, being the big series and the world championship number will obviously be senior. Greg has proudly been using his career long 45 in recent years and other have since followed suit. Seems the riders want this, let them roll with it and be willing for change.

Edited by SteveEvans

If Chris is not a number (and he for personal reasons has a number to be proud to wear this year), then how about having no numbers assigned to riders?

I've not said have no numbers. But don't tell us it's for marketing when it's not. It's a complete irrelevance. They make no difference.

I've not said have no numbers. But don't tell us it's for marketing when it's not. It's a complete irrelevance. They make no difference.

couldn't agree more

You're wrong.

It's quite simple.

Or perhaps Greg Hancock was pushing for it for the last couple of years just for the fun of it..

Edited by BWitcher

http://store.nascar.com/Dale_Earnhardt_Gear/Chase_Authentics_Dale_Earnhardt_White-Black_Fragment_Element_Adjustable_Hat

Then take a look at the top, what do you see, a list of drivers names? Wait no, its a list of numbers. Why? Because numbers are far more easily remembered than names.

Folk are dragging league racing into this.. which is utterly irrelevant. This if for the GP series.

Folk are saying you don't see other competitors in other sports competing in different events with different numbers.. WRONG. You do. Nascar Drivers for instance can race into 3 different races in one weekend in 3 different competitions, with 3 different numbers.

Folk can argue against it as much as they wish, but they are arguing against multi million pound industries. Perhaps you think you know more than marketing experts in some of the worlds biggest sports?

Even football changed to such a system, doing away with the old 1-11 numbers and replacing them with squad numbers. Numbers that your big name players will in the main try and keep when changing clubs (some even have it in their contracts).

The simple fact is the number is part of the brand recognition. Yes, of course you market the rider, but the number makes it far easier to so. It's already been proven.

Or maybe the naysayers are right.. maybe speedway has it right now and football/NFL/NBA/MLB/Nascar/MotoGp etc have it wrong.

Don't forget the fact that a few of the NASCAR boys do a bit of dirt track racing when they have spare time as well, where they may or may not use their Sprint Cup number...Tony Stewart is probably the most famous one that does this regularly (and famously bust his leg last year ruining his chance to win the NASCAR title again)

You are quite right to bring up football as well. When leagues changed over to squad numbers there were a lot of moans from fans about losing the original meaning of the numbers, but that is now long forgotten and players are naturally known by their "own" numbers these days....

• Like 1

pointless.....greg had 45 for a while now, but if you asked the fans around you at your track, they wouldn't know what you on about