British Speedway Forum
TesarRacing

Sky Sports El Star Rider Of The Year 2013 Is.......................

Trolling or just thick?

Merely trying again to illustrate how a rider's average may not illustrate if he's best or not!!! :P

In other words trolling, just for a change :D

So your criteria is who got paid the most.You are a plank

The poor thing probably doesn't get many bites anymore but think that is an insult to planks. Planks are useful.

• Like 1

The poor thing probably doesn't get many bites anymore but think that is an insult to planks. Planks are useful.

Excellent post SB. I often think of a nice piece of 4 x 2 when I read your posts! :rofl:

Not sure if that's humour or paranoia? Gavan will probably decide!! :D

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

Excellent post SB. I often think of a nice piece of 4 x 2 when I read your posts! :rofl:

Not sure if that's humour or paranoia? Gavan will probably decide!! :D

I just think trunks when i`m reading yours boom boom ;-)

For the star rider I would go for Greg Hancok. The way he rode, not bothering if he won, but the fact that he is one of the best team riders in the sport. On quite a few occations he rode the inside line like a true rider should to help his team mate to stay in front of the other team. If you ever needed a partner I would chose Grin as he rides his heart out,.

Not only for himself which a lot of riders do but as a partner to help win the races for your team.

A true legend. He rides the track and picks his lines. And is a gentleman to the sport. Unlike some of the new kamakazi riders we have these days. That just bomb around the track, lots of guts, lots of speed, don't give a hoot about any other rider. With very little in the way of true speedway talent. But they win races and are not realy bothered about thier partners or any other rider on the track. There are far to many acidents these days with reckless riding.

Grin was the star of the EL for 2013 for me. I know he didn't race the full season but the bit he did was well worth watching a great rider in action..

Poole won the league because of Hancock and Josh G.

They won the play-offs because they were the best team in them and upped their game as a team when it mattered.

• Like 2

Smolinkski started the season off well but then tailed off towards the back end of the season. If they were going to award it for EL performances of the season Ward / NKI would be more rewarding. I'm all for a less recognised rider winning an award but Smolinkski seems a little blinkered to say the least.

Merely trying again to illustrate how a rider's average may not illustrate if he's best or not!!! :P

Others were able to make this point by making a reasoned argument, as has been done for smolinski and hancock for exsmple.

That seems to me a better approach than quoting an irrelevant ststistic. Bruce penhall averaged over 10 in his last season racing in the uk, but that does nt mean he was the best rider in the elite league in 2013.

Fwiw, if I was making a shortlist it woulf comprise tai and nki, the top two in the averages and probsbly the best in absolute terms, smolinski as the most improved rider and thetefore most valuable to his team in terms of points "added" - arguably the most important stat in speedway given the points limit rules - and ward as the best rider in the championship winning team.

Tai would be my choice, though no complaints with choice of smolinski.

• Like 2

<Personal abuse removed before post approved - please re-refer to rules on attacking the post not the poster>

The rightful and worthy winner is the rider who has gone through the season injury free, been riding virtually every day throughout the season and improved as the season has gone on and that rightful rider would be in my opinion Martin Smolinski followed closely by Jason Doyle. No i'm not a Birmingham fan before you ask just a genuine speedway supporter.

Smolinski in March to May was a different rider to the one that finished the season and it wasn't an improvement.

Doyle was consistent but Woffinden and Iversen were the two outstanding riders of 2013

• Like 1

My vote goes to a rider who upped his season average from just under six to just under nine,rode in the difficult number two slot alongside the future world

champion and who's value to the team was only realised after his season ending injury. I GIVE YOU TY PROCTOR.

Unless you pick one of Woffinden, Iversen or Ward, it's hard to look at anyone other than Smolinski. Sure, he was a damp squib in the play-offs, but he progressed from late call-up reserve to No. 1 and was a key man in Birmingham's surprise title challenge which went right to the wire despite all the shenanigans off the track. Ty Proctor might have been a candidate, but his early finish to the season really rules him out. Of the others, Jason Doyle was consistent enough, Kildemand is underrated pretty much anywhere but Swindon, Peter Karlsson continues to produce good scores in his 40s and Craig Cook's development helped Belle Vue be less hopeless than we all maybe expected.

With all that, I'd still give it to Smolinski, the best individual story in the best team story of the season.

My vote goes to a rider who upped his season average from just under six to just under nine,rode in the difficult number two slot alongside the future world

champion and who's value to the team was only realised after his season ending injury. I GIVE YOU TY PROCTOR.

Do u have his stats to back this up? I dont have them to hand but would be very surprised if his 2013 average was nearly 9. Happy to be proved wrong.